Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In that case, don't get your hopes up, guys.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Oh shit, things are getting intense.

Did I miss anything concrete in the last six seconds or so before commercial? I had to go answer the door.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not sure I'd call it "fandom". Just some fun speculation based of a paucity of evidence to pass the time between episodes. ;)

I'm not even remotly getting my hopes up, I just think it's an interesting idea. Realistically speaking I say the odds that Skye becomes Ms. Marvel are pretty slim. No more than 20% at the outside. The only reason I'm thinking it's even that high is the circumstantial evidence that is the (possible) Kree connection.

4. The Old Mixer

Ward says that the Clairvoyant pushed all the right buttons...that fits with his described talent. He manipulated Ward into shooting him.

5. The Old Mixer

My suspicion of Hand is tingling...she's a high-clearance agent and earlier she made an excuse to duck out after the plan was revealed....

6. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well that was fun. Great cliffhanger too!

Also, loved the Daft Punk playing during next week's preview! If only Tron would show up and hang out with Deathlok.

7. Alidar Jarok

The aftercredits scene was a teaser for The Winter Solider. Very cool (although, to be honest, the trailer should have told you to watch the movie). If it is Victoria Hand, it fits the themes of the season and it's a good use of the character. Obviously, Norman Osborne isn't going to be on Agent's of SHIELD, but it allows her to show the darker side of SHIELD in a way that makes sense.

ETA: Next week's episode is Turn, Turn, Turn, right? I noticed John Garrett say that this week so I got mixed up for a second. Definitely gives a hint of what next week will be about.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which makes me wonder if Triplett is involved, since he was the one who psyched Ward up with the conversation about taking revenge for a partner's death.

9. The Old Mixer

A definite possibility...they seem to be making him suspicious, and if it's a SHIELD conspiracy, that means anyone on the inside could be working for the other team.

Don't trust anyone...especially David Crosby...?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6SuX0Z6AQ[/yt]

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Kree alien person (The Original Captain Marvel.) leaked alien radiation from his body all over Carol and this is what gave her super powers.

Cosmic Bukakke.

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

And Skye gets an unearned promotion to Shield agent tonight. We also hear more about how great she is instead of actually seeing it.

So Shield agents have to go before review boards when they murder someone? I guess Coulson and Garrett don't have to do that. Though having him shoot the Clairvoyant to protect his special snowflake was annoying. It made me think for a while that the theory that Skye can project upon others the need to protect her is true but I'm positive the writers just want us to believe that Skye is awesome and everyone wants to protect her.

I had to laugh at how bad a job they did covering up Titus Welliver's stuntman. It was original Star Trek levels bad. When Deathlok threw him across the room, Blake went from being an older guy with short gray hair to a guy with a mop of black hair who was about 15-20 years younger. Great job!

I want to like this show. Parts of it were suspenseful and it was cool seeing Deathlok look more like his comic counterpart. But the Skye-worshipping, incoherent and inconsistent storytelling is not helping. I'm also think that Coulson has replaced Skye for most annoying character on this show. Him screaming like an idiot at Ward and May made him look completely clueless.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  12. Alidar Jarok

I kind of want to speculate on Victoria Hand and The Winter Soldier but, since it's out in places and people probably know quite a bit, I'll refrain from doing so. This weekend can't come soon enough.

That being said, I wonder if we're going to get HAMMER as an organization.

13. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked it, though without a doubt, this was an incomplete story.

I liked that Coulson and gang jumped to the conclusion that May was the Clairvoyant. I also liked that she was shocked at that accusation. So who is she reporting to? Fury, Hand, Clairvoyant, or someone else?

I just spent a few minutes catching up with this thread. It was pretty easy skipping past all the spoiler posts for CATWS.

Liked the scene they showed tonight in the usual teaser spot. Pretty exciting, and it has me needing to see that movie NOW.

So how closely are TWS and AOS related? People who've already seen TWS likely have a better grip on where this is going than I do, so maybe I should bow out of this thread again until I see TWS in a few days.

The trailer for next week's episode definitely felt right at home with the war-within-Shield vibe that we're getting from CATWS.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a Department H mention...that's from Alpha Flight. Maybe Marvel has the rights to Alpha Flight after all?

15. Alidar Jarok

^ I think the show likes pushing the envelope with name-dropping, which is quite a bit of a difference from actually using something, which is probably not allowed.

I think that's fair. I thought the episode was well-structured and suspenseful from beginning to end and was mostly done intelligently. But it does depend on a satisfying conclusion.

Well, they assumed she worked for the Clairvoyant. My assumption is still that she's reporting to Fury, but it is possible she's reporting to Hand. If that means she's reporting to the Clairvoyant, so be it, although certainly not intentionally.

Yeah, that's true. I already saw that I made the right decision skipping the discussion about the possible Hand spoiler since someone name-dropped HAMMER without any spoiler code in response to the spoiler discussion, which was precisely what I was afraid of.

I'm afraid of the same, so I'll duck out if this turns too TWS-heavy. But the report I heard as far as fit was "like a glove," so I'm intrigued.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think the new "Uprising" subtitle to the show is a pretty good indication of how much it will tie in to TWS.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty good, and reasonably engaging.

I have a major complaint, though. I thought that the agents were slow on the uptake, and jumped to some obviously suspect conclusions. With all three missions going awry, it was an unwarranted assumption to suppose that the one where Deathlok showed up was the lead worth pursuing. Since security was breached at all of them, all three missions represented leads worth pursuing. Coulson seemed to recover from that by the end of the episode, by realizing that the retirement home was a false lead and that something else is up, but the realization that they were being strung along should have been made much sooner. Nice bit about switching to the tracker round, though.

I was a little confused about how many jet transports were attached to the bus at the beginning. Was everyone departing in the same transport, or were there several lined up to take people different places? :lol:

18. The Old Mixer

My guess is that May has been reporting to Fury, and it's not an accident that they showed that particular scene at the end. Now she won't be able to prove it and will remain under suspicion of working with Hand.

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

What a compelling episode! I would have liked to see more of Brad Dourif as Nash and Agent "Man in Blake."

Whom does May answer to? Who's really pulling the strings? Awesome Captain America trailer at the end.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I had a feeling there'd be a decoy Clairvoyant at some point. Didn't expect it quite so soon though. Good use of the Dourif. I wouldn't have guessed they'd use such a well known actor for such a small role. Actually had me believing that was "him" for a minute there.

I'm about 99% sure May is reporting to Fury. I haven't seen TWS yet but from the trailers it seems as though he knows something's rotten in Shield and it would follow that he's compartmentalising his assets.

Nice to get a clearer definition of Skye's "special ability" in that's it's centred around pattern recognition. Makes the hacking thing make a lot more sense now: she's an intuitive code breaker. Anyone know of an existing Marvel character that fits that profile?

Still at a bit of a loss as to how this manifested as a child. Maybe it didn't and she earned her 084 status some other way. Like say the manner of her arrival...in an alien spacecraft maybe or wormhole type event? From the GotG trailer it's clear that there are races out there--other than Asgardians--who look identical to humans and that "Terrans" are a known species. So it's believable to thing she could be a non-human sent here for some reason or another.