Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Dorian Thompson, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

The 7 models had synthetic bodies that didn't age- the five were just more advanced.

They didn't have natural organic bodies... just very good synthetic copies.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Synthetic" just means artifically created. You can artificially create a 100% organic being. They're synthetic but not robotic.

If the skinjobs are not organic, then it would be easy to tell the difference via tests. That means they must be organic, but then the question becomes, what qualifies them to be "robots"?

I mean what are those suckers made of? Plastic? Old shoes? :rommie:

I think they're just organic beings that were manufactured in a lab or a factory and their brains are engineered to accept "programming," just like 100% organic Chuck Bartowski's brain is.

There's no need for the skinjobs to be anything but artificially-made humans, and no evidence to the contrary. In fact, the story makes no sense unless that's the situation - otherwise the Colonials could have told the difference very easily.

The only reason the skinjobs "had to be Cylons" was to explain their loyalty to the metal Cylons. But since we now know that that's just a product of insanity and stupidity on the part of the skinjobs, that explanation is no longer even important to the story.

That might also explain Cavil's ire. He wants to be a perfect, wonderful robot, but he's not a robot - not of any type. Yet he somehow got it into his head that he's a robot (because the Final Five are under the odd delusion that they are robots). No wonder the poor boy is confused. This isn't a story about robots, it's a story about deluded humans.

And we never did get a straight answer about whether any of the skinjobs age.

3. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the inheritance count for anything? I mean, saying that the twelve models are human and not cylon completely ignores their origins. The humanoid models were built by the centurions specifically as their next generation. They have enough anatomical differences between evolutionary humans that are notable (bioluminescence and photosensitivity throughout their flesh and bones, telepathy, projection, enhanced strength) that they aren't the exact same species (even discounting the fact that cylons and humans have such trouble breeding).

I don't understand what you expect from the humanoid models. You think they should've woken up, having been fabricated by mechanical models, already indoctrinated the the cylon civilization either through pre-programing or receiving the consciousness of a centurion who wanted the trade up, and immediately said, "What's with this? Screw you, Moms, Dads, and Centurion 90875, I'm going to go live on Caprica and get a human lover who will understand me because we both have to eat and poo and have nothing else in common!"

Even if the humanoid models were exact clones of humans, with no special abilities at all, but just had the minds of former centurions who had upgraded to flesh bodies, they still wouldn't be culturally human. Or culturally Colonial, to choose a less confusing phrasing. Why is this even an issue?

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

How do we know they didn't age? It seems to me that Cavil's motivations for kidnapping Hera fall apart if his species is not facing extinction by natural causes in short order.

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Obviously Tigh aged.

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People die from accidents, diseases and stuff all the time. At some point there simply won't be anybody left, even without dying of natural causes.

I'd also like to imagine, that the redstripe centurions went after the 145's after they were set free and wiped them out.
    After all, it wasn't the Humans who had enslaved them but Cavil.
    The Colonials enslaved the old branch of Centurions, not the new and improved one.

7. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

My guess is that, like sleep, aging is something that the cylons are capable of turning on and off, though perhaps not without effort (it took Cavil at least ten years to figure out how to turn sleep off, after all).

As for Cavil being concerned with extinction, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was going to happen in the foreseeable future. Without resurrection or reproduction, it means that there's no where for the population to go from down. It doesn't matter if cylons are only going to die from accident, illness, or a chance encounter with the Galactica, eventually, they'll all have a moment of bad luck. No matter if one cylon dies every day or one cylon dies every decade, eventually, the population will hit zero.

And we can safely extrapolate that the Cylon population took a bit of a hit in the Civil War. Except for the rebel baseship, every Two, Three, Six, and Eight in all of cylondom was apparently killed or boxed. Now, either it was just the loss of half their fleet in ambushes, or some of Natalie's faction went down with a fight, but Cavil's forces weren't nearly as strong as the Cylon fleet had been before the war. Afterward we never saw more than two baseships together at any given time, though before we'd seen fleets of four and six baseships fairly often.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This review seems to have glossed over one very important point.

Caprica had naked boobies! :bolian:

9. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shouldn't we have a rating/discussion thread already? I know it's not out on DVD yet, but it sounds like a lot of us have already seen the pilot.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Initiative man!!! I believe in you. If you make the grading thread, they will come!

11. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My concern with is the fact that it's not "officially" out. I'm not even sure HOW it can be out. I was surprised I was able to watch it. Just seems kinda ... what's the word? ... illegal.