Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Dorian Thompson, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The avatar stuff in the preview clip on Scifi is sort of like Cylon projection.

-Chris

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Now there's something I hadn't thought of. :wtf: Zoe programmed her thought patterns and memories in this online virtual matrix to create her avatar, but according to the Caprica series "bible" this online environment exists because of holoband technology. It is just like cylon projection. Daniel Graystone invented holoband technology. The pieces fall into place.

3. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I hadn't read anything about Caprica, but reading the stuff in the link and seeing the clip makes me very interested. Looks intriguing.

4. Dorian Thompson

I still love the theme Bear McCreary has composed for the series.

Caprica theme

He doesn't feel it's character based, but it sounds ominous and tragic at the same time to me. I can't but thinking of as Zoe's theme in a way. If Daniel hadn't been so desperate to recreate her, would the first cylon war have taken place? If there's no first cylon war, then the final five don't have the misguided notion to create skin jobs who will ultimately be hijacked by Cavil.

5. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but neither is Star Trek and The Sopranos.

7. Dorian Thompson

Star Trek especially so, though Manny Coto gave it a hell of a shot. Personally I think the fact that Zoe is a montheist is a brilliant way to explain how the centurions suddenly "acquired" a radically different religion--or that they acquired religion at all. Scientists aren't quick to incorporate religion into their work, are they? If Daniel's obsessed with his dead child, that's clever as hell to create backstory from that.

8. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

What's wrong with The Sopranos' backstory? (I've seen the whole series, but I am far from being an expert. I'm genuinely curious here)

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

How are they going to reconcile the notion that the Final Five Cylons invented skinjobs with Greystone inventing them? The Final Five's Cylons are the skinjobs that ended up "counting" in the plotline. Greystone's efforts are redundant.

They have my permission to bring Michael Trucco back as a guest star to assist Greystone if it helps this all make sense. I'd love to see all the Final Five back (minus Tory, boring/badly written character). And Cavil, he'd be good too.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Is Greystone inventing skin-jobs here? I've read that he's creating Cylons with consciousness, but the actual form is solely mechanical outside of the virtual realm. Or am I incorrect?

11. Dorian Thompson

Greystone is involved in robotics and artificial intelligence. You can see an old fashioned looking centurion in the background in the trailer that aired on skiffy. Daniel tries to recreate a replicant body of his daughter into which he can download the replicated memory patterns she uploaded to the virtual matrix. There's no guarantee he's successful, or even if he is successful in the short term that this replicant survives. Is what Zoe becomes a true skin job that can't be differentiated from a human in medical tests like the later skin jobs? Probably not. I'm sure the technology isn't the same. For some reason--whether the replicant dies or they decide the technology is too unethical or dangerous, this knowledge gets suppressed and/or destroyed and the centurions are later created. Monotheistic centurions who want freedom. My mind keeps going to the fact that the centurion can't have pulled a monotheistic faith, or any faith, out of thin air. I'm thinking this can be reconciled far easier than some of Star Trek's contradictions.

EDIT--the centurion can be seen at the 0:39 mark.
    Caprica

12. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

That adama girl kinda looks a bit geekish "Drools"

Question will there be hot bi chicks in this series?

Ok will there be crucifications at one point?

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

One thing, didn't the final five create fleshy Cylons not humans?

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we'll need to see the actual episode to be sure, but the working assumption is that the humanoid cylons built in Caprica are more like Terminators, and their human appearance is only skin deep.

15. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Maybe greystone taps into old kbol network?

16. Dorian Thompson

That was my assumption. I seriously doubt Graystone can make a human robot so authentic that a doctor couldn't tell it was an artifical person upon autopsy like the later skin jobs. Not at this point in time. He's just desperate to make a body into which he can download the copied synaptic patterns of his daughter.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Well I'm hoping that its pretty obviously a robot, otherwise it makes no sense at all for them to be surprised in the mini-series about Cylons looking like humans.

18. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I somehow doubt Graystone would publicly announce the (presumably failed) cylon prototype that was his zombified robot daughter.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would make a lot more sense for Zoe's body to be genetically engineered but 100% human. Doesn't have to be her "clone" DNA-wise but just a human body designed to look like her, with a brain modified to accept direct input (a "program") but otherwise with perfectly human structures - synapses, etc.

I'm still wondering what it was about the skinjobs that qualified them to be robots in the first place. Maybe they were always just genetically engineered beings with brains that can have info downloaded into them, and connected via networks. But you don't have to be a robot to do that. Just ask Chuck Bartowski. ;)

That would mean the skinjobs never were "Cylons" in any real sense, and had more in common with normal, non-engineered humans. Since the skinjobs were obviously just using their connection with the metal Cylons for cynical and irrational purposes, maybe there doesn't need to be a real connection?
    That means that Zoe (and any other skinjobs) must be kept secret for the duration of the series. It will limit the types of stories that can be told, and require even characters like Joe Adama, who are opposed to the skinjob idea (?), to keep quiet about it when they'd have the motive not to, which will require contorted storytelling - which is already a deficiency of these writers. I want to see them break free from this tendency, not get worse about it.

Rather than see this series put itself in a straightjacket like that, I'd rather they not bother too much about consistency with BSG, because one of the biggest problems Caprica is going to have is finding new ways of expanding the story and holding viewer interest without resorting to storytelling and characterization that feels phoney and driven only by the needs to maintain this silly "secret." I don't want them to get cancelled trying to contort themselves into the already contorted BSG backstory, which is over and done with, so what's the point?

Maybe this is the solution: genetically engineered humans like Zoe were know about in the past, but since they were organic and not mechanical, there was nothing robotic about them, so nobody connected them with the "Cylons." The surprise was not that the genetically engineered humans existed, but that they gave a frak about Cylons and apparently were siding with them (a cynical pose, since they also oppressed them - which also makes more sense if the skinjobs have no authentic kinship to true Cylons).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  20. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That has been my theory ever since "No Exit".
    The 13th tribe where ordinary humans who developed organic memory transfer as a means to become immortal.
    The other tribes didn't like that and war broke out, which ultimately lead to the first exodus.