Advance review of SciFi's "Caprica" movie--SPOILERISH

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Dorian Thompson, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Man Before The Fall

It's pretty encouraging, but he seemed to think the Zoe actress wasn't all that. Hopefully she'll make strides like Grace Park did. I'm wondering if avatar Zoe is going to be part of the series itself. It is for the most part at this point in Caprican history (as was suspected) that the replicant consciousness is existing in a virtual reality matrix. Daniel's trying to make bodies to "download" them....obviously that tech is either unsuccessful or it gets abandoned/suppressed from public knowledge and the research goes in a different direction. This series is definitely going to deal with how the centurions achieved sentience as opposed to merely being centered on their creation. Zoe is monotheistic. I find that intriguing. I'm not sure the director didn't tell her to play it bratty, because she's supposed to be a bratty kid who's a computer genius who can't see the long term implications. Like daddy like daughter.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sounds very interesting to me. I'm looking forward to the DVD release.

3. Dorian Thompson

Me, too. That the downfall of humanity could have been set in motion because of something like a father who couldn't let go of his child--there's something haunting about that. That a group of artificially sentient centurions created in a polytheistic soceity could develop free will and seemingly out of the blue develop a belief in a single god seemed bizarre until you consider this girl's existence. Daniel's daughter being monotheistic, too, puts a spin on everything that's either beyond tragic or indescribably sinister. Did her consciousness still exist after these early attempts to create a functioning humanoid AI were abandoned?

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Joe Adama is crooked? Excellent.

I was afraid they would skip over that little detail from BSG.

5. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I've always gotten the impression that the Joe Adama stuff from the end of the third season was actually meant to tie into the then-new Caprica pilot script.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^Ronald D. Moore indicated as much in the podcasts to those episodes, especially The Son Also Rises.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

All that is vastly more interesting than "the Cylons attacked because Cavil is nuts." Doesn't sound like BSG is going to be reconcilable with Caprica, but at this point I really don't care. I'm happy to jettison BSG's awkward backstory in favor of Caprica's.

8. David cgc

That explains where I got the idea from.

ETA: I'm not being facetious. I honestly couldn't remember where I heard that, or even whether or not I'd just intuited it based on spoilers as the episodes and the early previews came out.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Here's the relevant text, courtesy of Battlestar Wiki (just for giggles).

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

Thus far, everything we know about Caprica fits into BSG's backstory.

11. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. And it seems to provide the missing piece: why did the centurions want so badly to be haman, anyway?

12. David cgc

Oh, that'd be hellish, wouldn't it? If their base programming contained memories of what it was like to be a human (or, considering that Zoe doesn't seem to be the only person with a virtual avatar, possibly several humans), if they had that taste of it, all the sensations that a centurion body probably wasn't designed to come anywhere close to emulating... I can understand how they could hate and envy humans all at once.

13. Dorian Thompson

That podcast also explains why Bill reacted so bitterly towards Lee when he chose to defend Baltar. At the time I attributed it to Bill being a nasty, mean drunk, but his over the top reaction and him calling Lee a coward makes more sense if it was memories of his own father defending mobsters that was really eating at Bill.

I agree, I think Caprica will be extremely reconcilable with BSG's back story. The final five didn't show up until the end of the first cylon war to offer them resurrection so the centurions would end hostilities. Razor bears out that the cylons just suddenly left. Nothing else is really that clearly established. I think that the other avatars are teens acquainted with Zoe. She's the computer engineering genius like her father. She's monotheistic. Does the centurions' desire for freedom all stem from her replicated consciousness? From a desire to be alive again? Maybe that's why the first Six we lay eyes on in the mini asks, "Are you alive?"

There's a bit of classic tragedy to the whole idea, but it intrigues. One teenager experimenting with her computer, she could never have possibly imagined that it would lead to the demise of her civilization.

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Commodore Commodore

I've always known teenagers were the bane of civilization — this just proves it!

Gatekeeper ;)

15. Dorian Thompson

I was waiting for someone to crack that joke. :lol: Talk about the consequences of not monitoring your child's computer usage. That was one baaaaaaaad chat room Zoe was frequenting.

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'm looking forward to it, I just hope that it doesn't throw the Sci-Fi in your face, and is a bit more like Blade Runner. I only saw one preview, and while it looked good it didn't draw me in - one scene annoyed me, with some woman wearing flashy glasses which I assume were meant to be an interface of sorts..

17. Dorian Thompson

Is this the clip you mean?

Zoe Holoband

That's Zoe wearing the glasses. They provide access to the virtual environment. The musical score is very "Blade Runner-ish" IMO. Bear did a wonderful job on the score. That's where Zoe's created her online "twin" it would seem. It seems very promising to me. Of course that could be my Esai Morales/Polly Walker/Eric Stoltz love making me biased. Any show with Rome's Polly Walker, I'm so there.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I know they provide access to it, it just looked really dumb to me with the flashy glasses. Though that scene looks a bit better.

19. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I look forward to the inevitable crossover episode where the U.S.S. Equinox visits the Colonies.

20. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BSG isn't entirely reconcilable with its *own* backstory :)