Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But why assume at this point that he'll need replacing?

Deep breaths. Take deep breaths.

If this is indeed true, then Disney apparently was able to talk him into changing his mind. No big deal - people change their minds every day. Having said once in an interview that he thought someone else ought to direct Star Wars 7 does not constitute a solemn promise by J.J. Abrams to Star Trek, Star Trek fans, or anyone else that he would never or could never ever be convinced to do it himself.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am sure there is going to be almost the same type of reaction from some SW fans as he got from Trekkies. Disappointed because they were hoping to see a return to the seriousness of the Original Trilogy.... Forgetting that they were primary just fun tributes to old serials mixed with fantasy.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do we know that J.J. didn't promise his girl Star Trek that he'd pull out?

One thing this news may indicate is that word of mouth on Into Darkness among people in the business is very good. Disney obviously has made an effort to woo Abrams in the last two months or so, which wouldn't be the case if their people were hearing that the next Trek movie is shaping up as less than, uh, stellar. And yeah, these folks know a lot about other studios' unreleased movies.

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that out of six, 1+1+1/2+1/2=3 good films.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

OH, WHY DID PARAMOUNT HAVE TO HIRE SOMEONE SO SUCCESSFUL AND RESPECTED AND IN DEMAND TO OVERSEE STAR TREK? I wonder in light of this news if Berman is waiting for his phone to ring.

Think of the lens flares in the light sabre battles. And probably in 3D.

Ben Affleck was also under consideration for SW, according to "The Wrap". Hmm. Is Affleck a Trek fan?

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Orci on twitter:

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

*earlier*

Well, if you want to talk about how people should act all grown up when discussing Star Trek, you might want to set a better example Legion. Your responses are about as infantile as a 12 year old on XboX live.

And let me tell you a little something about Anniversaries (NOT Birthdays). If it wasn't for the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek, Star Trek V would have most likely killed the film franchise. After all, TNG was getting better and TOS just walked away with an embarrassing bomb.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Maybe they can lure Stuart Baird back? :rofl:

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

That's an enthralling hypothesis. It's nonsense, of course.

Of course, if there were an ounce of truth to it, that would mainly mean we should be grateful that Abrams makes movies that are so much better than Shatner's was.

10. BillJ

Not so sure. They had a string of four financially successful films. They may have made a picture that was different from The Undiscovered Country, likely an Academy film, but they would've made one.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Orci just confirmed it on twitter

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Apples and oranges. Star Wars does not have the same stigma to overcome, or the same well-deserved reputation for being inaccessible for anyone outside of the core fanbase.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think there's a compelling case that the twenty-fifth anniversary led Paramount into making another theatrical feature starring the original cast, but I highly doubt that the failure of the fifth movie would have stopped Paramount from producing another Trek feature.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Knock it off.

15. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

I hope Paramount doesn't waste any time moving forward with the next movie.

No more for year gaps.

Also this must be a pretty big slap in the face to Paramount. They were super patient with J.J. They put the entire Star Trek franchise on hold to wait for him to do SUPER 8.

wow

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think this is excellent news.

Since Episode VII was first announced, Abrams has always been the right guy for the job.

I also don't think he will completely turn his back on Star Trek. He he doesn't direct part three himself, he will at the very least produce it--like he had originally talked about with STiD.

No one's childhood is going to be ruined. The world will continue to turn, and these two great franchises will continue to flourish.

Nonsense.

17. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

We've already seen the glacier pace J.J. movies at..

Even if Paramount were somehow okay with this

I'd say its a given

The question now is does STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS just become a big star wars commercial?

all the press and promotion for the film is just gonna be questions about JJ leaving for star wars.

I'd say Paramount has to be pretty pissed.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Why take any of this so personally? Nobody got "lied" to in any way that matters, except in the sense that somebody changed their mind or wasn't at liberty to reveal what was really going on behind the scenes at the time. It's just business, not a personal affront.

And I'm not thin-skinned enough to find anything "condescending" about that earlier comment. Abrams was absolutely right. STAR TREK is not just for Trekkies only, and never has been. You need to appeal to the general audiences, too. What's wrong with saying that?

Plus, hypothetically, why couldn't Abrams do STAR TREK and STAR WARS and--who knows?--maybe James Bond or Jurassic Park or Doctor Who as well?

He's not married to STAR TREK. He's allowed to see other people. :)

19. BillJ

This will just serve to sell more tickets. I don't see a downside. :shrug:

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Four years between films is rather common for most franchises, even Star Trek.

It's fine with it.

You have no idea.

No.

It has already created plenty of buzz on its own.

Who said he was leaving?

That's not how pressers work.

Interest in STiD and (presumably) part 3 just skyrocketed. Paramount couldn't be happier.