A Time to Heal...torture

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PhaseIIforever, Mar 25, 2013.

1. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

I'm reading David Mack's A Time To Heal and I must say I don't like what the Enterprise crew does to General Minza by depriving him of sleep. It's said that Starfleet regulations say that prisoners have to get a certain amount of sleep per day but it doesn't have to be consecutive. This is, at least for humans, clearly torture (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1962.tb50101.x/abstract), I hope this comes back to bite Picard and company in the ass. Using real world parallels in Trek is totally a huge part of what the show is about but sleep deprivation was excused too lightly.

It's just a show, I should really just relax, but I don't like a certain type of torture to be used by guys who are supposed to be enlightened in my fiction. We get enough rubber stamping of torture from propaganda.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll quote this response from another thread. A poster there was expressing discomfort with a twist later in the book (which I've removed so you aren't spoiled), but Christopher's response does a great job of explaining the intention behind that twist and also, I think, what bothers you:

3. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks, I'm still reading so I'll see how it plays out. I hope there is more than just a 24th century John Yoo waving his hands around. I do know that Trek at it's best is all about Riker's career (BoBW, TATV,etc.), but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

In chapter 20 psy-op torture tactics are called petty torments, Troi must really be putting her ethics aside.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Real life people put their ethics aside all the time. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes just for survival. Usually karma bites 'em back. Or guilt. Eventually.

5. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Time to Kill/A Time to Heal are two of the best Trek books I've ever read and I place them above the Destiny trilogy.