A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

We should definitely have had rumblings of "The Ghost in Winterfell" by now if "redemption" was at all on their minds. Just a few lines about people falling from the walls or dying in mysterious ways would have gone a long way to making the Winterfell plotline far more interesting.

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read an opinion somewhere that the reason they are not doing Stoneheart is because if show watchers saw Michelle Fairley appear at the cliffhanger of a season, they would expect her to be a very important character next year. In the books, she only appears in two short scenes, and knowledge of her activities is limited to rumor and innuendo. A TV show does not have the luxury of confining such a radical character to simply rumor - they have to show things, or they are forgotten.

3. Venardhi

The bigger issue with keeping her seems to be that they wanted to get the fuck out of the Riverlands this season. Edmure and the rest of that story thread seem to be forgotten. Jaime went in the opposite direction, and just about everyone else on the continent outside of Kings Landing went north. The question now remains. . . what does it mean for Brienne now that this enormous plot point in her story seems to have been removed. Is Sandor gone for good or will they find some other way to bring his story to a close? I would almost be excited at the prospects if they weren't so bad so consistently with their original material thus far.

4. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honesty I won't miss Sandor if he never comes back, and the BWB was pretty bad on the show anyways (similarly to Mance)
    It's sad that GoT has such a bad track record with forgetting about characters though...is Gendry still rowing his boat somewhere in the narrow sea? Will we ever see Balon and Yara/Asha again?

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

^^^ I noticed in the last episode that Stannis mentioned leaches and how Robb and Joffrey were dead. Nothing about Balon and the third leach. Completely erased from existence...

6. Orphalesion

On the topic of cut characters while I am very VERY disappointed about the omission of Arianne and the Young Griff I think it was a smart move to remove/replace a lot of the new DWD/FFC point-of-view characters. Most of them did nothing to advance the plot and were (to me) less than interesting. It led to that weird atmosphere in the last two books where the it felt like it was just a bunch of slice of life stories with little connection. If the plot of a story is like a river, DWD/FFC was the point where a formally fast flowing river reached a sandy, stagnant delta.

However even removing/replacing those characters did very little to mediate that on the show due to how it was handled. Instead of streamlining the story they just created their own set of loose plots like whatever that badly written 90s fantasy movie in Dorne is supposed to be.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Only if Theon was the ghost, which is just a fan theory.

8. Venardhi

Who else would it be?

9. Orphalesion

Mance and the Spearwives scouting Winterfell before their big break in?

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

That was always my reading of it too.

11. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Most of the killings were the spearwives. They only deny killing one of the Walders, who was almost certainly killed by the other Walder. As to the identity of the Hooded Man, that's a mystery, but there's no particular reason to think Theon has started hallucinating.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  12. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding the return of magic, we don't really know what the reason is do we?

People surmise that it is because the dragon's returned to Westeros but it is just as possible that the dragon's were born because magic is returning. Is it connected to the return of the white walkers or are they returning because of the return of magic?

Also the long changes of seasons is said to be magical so I wonder if part of the resolution will be returning the weather cycle to some kind of normal.

13. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

The White Walkers came back before the Dragons did.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

And most of the magic that has returned is specifically attributed to fire. The Dragonglass candles have started to spontaneously ignite in the citadel, the pyromancer's wildfire appears to now be more potent despite their using the same formula, and the warlock's fire power in Qarth (the flaming ladder display) has become more elaborate. All recent occurrences that people have specifically mentioned in various parts of the book. That, to me, are all related to the return of the dragons.

15. Venardhi

I know the spearwives were doing a lot of the killing, but my read on the ghost from the very first page was that Theon had a mental schism and developed a dissociative "protector" identity composed of what hasn't been broken down into Reek. Thus the blackouts and his moments of growth beginning to reclaim his name, etc. I didn't even realize anyone had another interpretation.

16. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

Think it could be a counterforce. As the 'ice" magic grew so does the "fire" magic as a balance.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I still think there's a chance she'll show up this season. If she doesn't then she's probably not going to be in it.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Holy shit.

19. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^that about covers it lol.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Co-Founder of ISIS Moderator

:lol: My reaction exactly.