A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly, yes. The Stark boys seem to make their own beds.

2. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the show, I expect Starks to be killed in odd numbered seasons and Lannisters to be maimed or killed in the even ones.

3. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

OK, so Sam will not be delivering Amon to the citadel, and Jon is still off with the wildlings.

Is Sam going to take the voyage to the citadel?

It was Tyrion who fought the (fake) battle in the pits. Dany didn't know who he really was did she? Can't have the fight without Penny, so that's ok. Will he and Mormot still join the second sons?

4. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think so as well. Maester Aemon told him to take her south. I suspect that will be Jon's final order to Sam once he returns from Hard Home. Besides, Sam needs to meet Archmaester Marwyn and "Pate".

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman:

7. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Commodore Commodore

It's definitely true, FYI. Those sources are the same ones as with previous seasons, from what I've gathered from comments made by Sue. :)

8. 137th Gebirg

Looks like one of Balon Greyjoy's brothers might be appearing. I wonder if they'll finally show us the Dragonhorn. Probably not, though, since the Horn of Winter was ignored...

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

The leaked casting features 3 boys, 2 of whom are one-off appearances. My reading is that one of them is a young Robert Baratheon and the other is probably Brandon Stark, Ned's older brother. The third boy, who doesn't seem to be confined to one appearance, is presumably Ned. Presumably these flashbacks will be in the course of Bran's greenseeing, rather than a conventional flashback like with Cersei at the start of this season.

10. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Based on Littlefinger's conversation with Sansa, I suspect they're finally moving into explaining the events and motivations leading up to Robert's Rebellion, and as they relate to Jon Snow's true parentage.

As you say, they'll likely be using Bran's greenseeing as a vehicle to show that back-story. As anemic as this season has been (IMO), I really wish they had done more with this subplot (which is really one of the primary driving forces behind the entire story).

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

12. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It certainly doesn't suit Dany's ADWD climax to name it that. Could be a reference to Cersei's walk of shame. Seeking the "mercy of the mother" by admitting her guilt and doing penance. I think they're avoiding Stoneheart at this point so as to avoid spoiling Jon's miraculous resurrection by similar means next season. A season ago it would have been foreshadowing, now it would just be repetitive.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I actually thought they'd have Jon "die" at the end of this season and then put Lady Stoneheart at the end to hint to TV fans how Jon might come back via the Red God.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they're avoiding Stoneheart because the character (and Dondarrion) were so poor in the novels. The judicious (i.e. very limited) portrayal of magic in the novels was badly undercut by these characters, and the result was rather...crap !

16. 137th Gebirg

The judicious (i.e. very limited) portrayal of magic in the TV show is even more egregious. It makes sense in the books, because it is a world that has existed without magic for centuries since the last dragons died off. Now that they're back, magic should be slowly re-appearing. The resurgence of magic in the show has been markedly anemic and, IMO, defeats the purpose of one of the main plots.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I loved those parts.

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeup. We're well past the time that magic should be coming back to the forefront. The way the show portrays it, magic is just subdued in general and it has nothing to with an overall resurgence of the mystical or primal forces behind it.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dondarrion / Stoneheart would probably be less jarring if there had been a little more magic in the other plotlines. It wasn't exactly a gradual increase...

20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay who else was literally so mad at how they portrayed Sansa in the last episode that they almost felt like throwing up? No? Just me?

I was prepared for the wedding night. However after all the hints of her doing something sneaky in Winterfell to get rid of the Boltons, they destroyed it all in that one episode with her trusting Reek and getting her "Friend in the North" (who now apparently was the only one) killed off.
    Instead of Alayne Stone learning how to play the game we get Second Season Sansa getting tortured by Dark Haired!Joffrey. I'm not impressed...
    Also, at least in my eyes, there's now NO way for the show version of Theon to redeem himself. I can't remember a part in the book where Theon sold Jeyne Poole out like that.