A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Stone Men are definitely in, but moved from the Rhoyne to the Ruin of Valeria. They have built up greyscale so much this season, and now Jorah and Tyrion are sailing past the Ruin to get to Meereen. I would bet money that Jorah takes JonCon's place regarding that particular plotline.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

So I wonder if we are seeing Tyrion may take over Young Griff's storyline.

Considering in this episode we saw them visit Valantis (which never happens in the books) and then Tyrion attacked by stonemen (which happens with Young Griff) and then saved by Jorah who gets infected (which happens to Jon Connington in the books). Theres always been speculation Tyrion is Aerys child...

4. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Danerys is now butchering potentially innocent people because she's angry....our hero, ladies and gentlemen :rolleyes:
    Also a mother "doesn't abandon her children?" No she just chains them up in the darkness for no reason, you self-righteous little...:klingon:

And then the show still tries to sell her as this wonderful, just person on her conversation with Missandei. I call poopiecack on that to me she's now the Mother of Batshit.
    Really surprised that they kept the marriage, I was hoping they'd wrap up Mereen much faster, it really soured me on Danerys in the books and now it's doing the same in the show.

So I guess this rules out any appearance of the Young Griff, pity since he could at the very least supplied some more male eyecandy to the show. But it makes sense, while the Shy Maid was the only part of the last two books I genuinely enjoyed he simply showed up too late in the game. No Ser Duckfield or Septa Lemore either then :( And sorry, in my eyes, Jon Con>Jorrah, in general I enjoyed the crew of the Shy Maid more than Daenery's entourage with their repetitive names and annoying linguistic quirks(Thankfully no one in the show is referring to themselves as "This One":scream:). I wished Martin had saved them for some other story.

So it's likely going to be Brienne and Pod who rescue Sansa during her Wedding Night...makes sense.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we're supposed to be questioning Dany's sanity and suitability to rule at this point. I certainly was in the book, but for different reasons. Whereas she was acting like a spoilt over-hormonal teenager (with some excuse, seeing as she is) with anger issues the show seems to just being straight up with her possibly descending into "Mad Queen" territory.

Jon really needs to be pushing the issue of "Army of the dead, motherfuckers, what do you not understand about this?" It isn't going to be much of a surprise when they turn on him at this point, though I hope we at least get a nice redemptive moment from Thorne rather than going with the easy way out of having him as one of the conspirators. Thorne may have a gaping asshole for a personality, but I think he has a bit too much honor and dignity for mutiny.

Looks like they'll send Sam and Aemon south to the Citadel after all; Sam's little pink mast may yet make an appearance.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it is very interesting that Theon, the person in the single worst position in this story has now realized he has knowledge that no one else has. I will be interested to see if he chooses to use it.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think the speculation was that Tyrion was Tywin Lannister's ONLY child, and that Jaime and Cersei are the products of a coupling between Aerys and Joanna. The scene in AFFC between Jaime and his Aunt Genna alludes to this:
    Now, this could more-than-likely be a figurative statement as most people believe, in that Tyrion is more like Tywin from the POV of possessing a highly cunning and strategic mind, but if it was a literal statement, the implications are far deeper.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you're referring to the fact that he knows that Bran and Rikkon are still alive, he fessed up to this last season in the Ramsay "shaving" scene with Roose in the room. Significant information, yes, but all three of them are aware of this now and are keeping it under tight wraps, lest it undermine their position in the North. And everyone knows that Sansa is Sansa in this version (as opposed to Theon knowing that Arya isn't Arya, but Jeyne Poole). If you're referring to something else, I'm not entirely sure what that could be.

9. Venardhi

Unlikely that if Tywin was cuckolded by Aerys he would allow such information to pass even as far as his sister. Tywin was a man so proud he kept his head shaved for decades so as to never show a thinning hairline. More likely Genna meant it entirely figuratively and only struck the chord of shameful truth (or fear of the possibility of truth) in Tywin by accident.

10. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't mind the change of Jamie going to Dorne, but I'm sort of sad that it means we won't have that exchange between him and Aunt Genna now...

I do hope we will see more of Dorne next episode, I want to know where they are going with the plot there.

11. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no idea where most of the show is going now. The Dorne plot is completely ridiculous. Sansa's story is off the rails. Arya's looks to be severely trimmed. Cersei, Jon, and Dany seem to be running fairly close to their book plots, despite the coming detour to Hardhome.

But the Dorne plot is ridiculous. The Sand Snakes are more cartoonish than Scooby Doo villains.

12. Venardhi

This has been the show's big weakness whenever they go off-script. Benioff and Weiss don't seem to be able to do anything but direct point A to point B type plotting. All the nuance and gameplaying goes by the wayside. That Cersei thinks she can manage the faith seems reasonable in the books, given what we've seen them do in the last few episodes however she has to be insane to think that undermining the throne with a direct challenge to Tommen's authority could ever be a good thing for her and her children's future.

Also... I'm wondering why they bothered to do the one flashback and haven't bothered with any since. They justified not showing Ned's dreams or any other flashbacks because it would clash with the style and flow of the show, and now they drop that one and don't seem to be heading back to it for anything except maybe a bookend at the end of the season. They may as well have saved the flashback stuff for when Bran gets his weirwood wi-fi.

13. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Maybe somebody can refresh my memory, but I thought Jon's attempt to leave was brought on by the marriage? Was it something else?

14. Venardhi

Jon's almost-desertion was triggered by Ned's execution, 3 books earlier.

15. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I mean the one that got him skewered in the last book (?)

16. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he's referring to Jon's call for volunteers to join him in attacking Ramsey (that causes the mutiny).

17. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That was caused not by the marriage, but by the letter Ramsay sent to Jon, claiming that Stannis was dead and demanding the return of Theon and "Arya"/Jeyne, who had already escaped Winterfell at that point. In other words, it's a ways off, assuming the TV timeline parallels the books.

18. Venardhi

I was under the impression he was marching south because Ramsay demanded fealty from him and the watch lest they be next on the Bolton's list of enemies. He had already sent Mance to save "Arya."

19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I had to look that one up. It's been a while since I've read the books. Ramsay threatens the Nights Watch, Jon organizes a preemptive strike, and a band of stupids from the army of cutthroats, I mean the NW, assume he's using the NW for his own purposes and get him.

His death/ near death is eerily similar to his brother's.

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, Ramsay, monstrous though he may be, might not be threatening the Watch in the first place if Jon hadn't agreed to send Mance to rescue "Arya."