A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...it will be a lot more of a shock with no Lady Stoneheart, for example.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

No more little tweaks to the details and subplots here. With Sansa delivered into the hands of the Boltons as an apparent Trojan horse and Brienne following behind her, we're in very new territory for some major storylines.

Arya is really getting the short end of the stick here. They haven't diverged from her story but don't seem to be putting any effort into making it compelling.

Jon got a better scene but if this is how they're planning to handle his time as Lord Commander, the mutiny isn't going to come as much of a shock. He looked more like someone taking revenge on an enemy than a commander carrying out a needed duty to punish a traitor/deserter.

3. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I, for one, liked the Sansa change. Everyone else, but Sansa, thought she was really getting married, so why not up the stakes and make it real. I guess her story line wasn't going anywhere in the books?

The same for Brienne. After losing both Starks and obviously going the wrong way on the hunt, I wondered how she would become relevant again. This is good.

I thought the execution was handled well. It could have been a bit better, maybe make Slynt a less apologetic, maybe make Jon a bit more nuanced - maybe this was the best take :shrug:

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It is Arya who was supposedly being married to Ramsay in the books. This isn't necessarily a bad change, but it is certainly a big one. I wonder if it means the Ghost in Winterfell and her will be working together.

5. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

So far I like most of the changes from the books

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

To be completely 100% accurate (and pedantic), it's Jeyne Poole, being forced by the Lannisters to go to Ramsay, posing as Arya to marry him, in order to solidify control in the North. So far, the changes they've made are definitely less convoluted and byzantine than what happened in the books.

So it sounds now like Brienne is going to play the role of Sansa's savior once everyone realizes what's going to happen, replacing the "disguised" (and now dead) Mance Rayder and his wildling girls and attempting to get her out. It will be interesting to see how much Theon's story changes or doesn't in this new context. Sadly, he seems to have been relegated to a minor recurring character now. Brienne and Theon may both likely assist getting Sansa out and, while on their way to the Wall, runs into Stannis' army on the march to retake Winterfell. They will likely bypass Stannis' currying of favor from the Northern peoples while he's on his way. Brienne loses her shit when she sees him and hilarity ensues. That's my prediction based on where things are going at present. :)

Danny's story has become predictably boring, just like in the books, and Tyrion's story has become extraordinarily abbreviated. No traveling down the Rhoyne, no Young Griff, no Stone Men. He should be in Meereen by next episode. How big is the continent of Essos again? :p

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of the synopsis for the second half of batch of episodes would suggest a larger role for Theon. I hope so anyway.

I wonder if we'll see his sister this season?

8. 137th Gebirg

We might. There is still opportunity for Stannis' army to capture what's left of her group after they left the Dreadfort last season. Things seem to move along at the speed of plot in this show, so I would be surprised at all if they did that. IIRC, they've also started mentioning Alysane Mormont in-dialog (I think it was her - Jeor's niece, did they say?), who eventually becomes Asha/Yara's guard, so I suspect we'll be seeing her as well.

9. Captaindemotion

Theon is one of the few people who knows that the surviving Stark brothers are alive. His and Sansa's paths look set to cross this season. Presumably she will learn about her brothers. We may get Lord Manderley at the wedding of Sansa and Ramsay but there is as yet no sign of Davos setting off to parlay with him. Instead of him sending Davos to retrieve Osha and Rickon might Sansa send Brienne and Pod?

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

They really wrecked her character so I don't even give a shit at this point.

Why they jettisoned book Asha, I'll never know.

11. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meanwhile, Balon still hasn't plummeted to his death. I guess one of Stannis's three leeches was a dud. :p

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well we don't know for sure, he might have...

"Kraken tend not to fly as much as plummet."

13. Captaindemotion

I can understand why they didn't want to devote time to the Iron Born kings moot and succession. But a line along the lines of 'since the sudden mysterious death of Balon Greyjoy, the iron islands have been plunged into a bitter succession struggle and taken no further part in the dispute with the realm' would've got the point home.

14. 137th Gebirg

Was wondering about all that myself. Yes, a simple single line of dialog could have done away with the Ironborn story altogether. Instead, they're kind of just left hanging out there. Maybe, if Asha/Yara does in fact get captured, we'll briefly hear something to that effect and be able to get on with the rest of it. Maybe some kind of sad dramatic moment when one of her captors tells her that daddy's taken a swan dive. Not too late, but it is still very late in coming.

15. Captaindemotion

I half wonder if they left Balon alive just so they could include the scene where Ramsay posted Theon's severed manhood to him.

16. 137th Gebirg

Maybe so, but it's been a while since that occurred and one would think that they would finally try to tie up that loose end, especially since his name was specifically mentioned during the leech burning scene.

I think the best time would have been for Asha/Yara to find out about Balon's death right before her attempt at rescuing Theon from the Dreadfort - using that as motivation to retrieve the last living male heir and also using it to try to convince him to come home if the need arose (which it would have with his "programming"). IMO, that would have been the best opportunity to include Balon's death in the mix. I can't imagine another context where it would matter at this point, especially since the whole Kingsmoot and Iron Fleet things have been basically wiped from the pages of the script.

17. Captaindemotion

^Agreed.

If you recall also, when Roose saw what Ramsay had done to Theon, he said 'That was the son of Balon Greyjoy.' That would've been another possible opportunity to kill him off offscreen:

'That was the son of Balon Greyjoy. His father died not one week ago. We had the heir to the Iron Islands in our grasp and you've rendered him useless to us.'

18. 137th Gebirg

Oh yes! That was another good spot for such a line. Man, they really dropped the ball on this one. Not that I really care if I ever see the Ironborn again, but for continuity's sake, they really need to tie that one down. And like we've shown, it would have been a relatively easy matter to handle with just a line or two of dialog. :sigh:

19. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Someone posted at Watchers on the Wall that the actress that plays Asha/Yara would be back this season, but they did not quote a source. It could be wishful thinking.

20. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Which makes it all but certain that the Young Griff is not as a major player in the books either as the book 5 cliffhangers and book 6 previews are leading us to believe.

I miss Balon's brothers though.