A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder why Alan Taylor didn't get a nomination for directing Baelor or Fire and Blood. Those were the best episodes of the season, in any category.
    If Dinklage will not get the Emmy, there's something wrong with the world ...

2. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

It would be a great day for GoT to nab all the technical awards and get a Supporting Actor for Dinklage, I think that would be the most likely way for the Emmy to acknowledge GoT and save its biggest prize for Boardwalk or Mad Men

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree.

4. superdeluxe

Game of thrones got jobbed..No main title music? That is where it would have picked up a win..instead giving it to Camelot? huh

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Main Title Theme Music and Art Direction are the two additional categories where it really deserved nominations. Oh, well, it still did great, and the nom for Outstanding Drama Series is, well, outstanding.

HBO always does well at the Emmy Awards, and it really dominated this year with 104 nominations (more than twice the second place network, which is CBS with 50 nominations). HBO productions that led the way: Mildred Pierce with 21 nominations, Boardwalk Empire with 18 nominations, and Game of Thrones with 13 nominations.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. superdeluxe

Another curious choice was a directing nom going to the pilot..but not Alan Taylor and Baelor.

7. superdeluxe

8. superdeluxe

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

As I recall, all of his commanders were witnesses by signing with their seals the document in which Robb declared Jon to be his heir. So far as we know, the Greatjon is still alive, held captive by the Freys.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the award Game of Thrones probably deserves the most is Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series.

Mildred Pierce is fantastic and really deserves that impressive frontrunner status. Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones were also very solid, entertaining shows.

I'll take the monks Brienne visits over Hot Pie any day. Her chapters are overall a little better than Arya's in books two and three, although generally the series could use without so much traveloguing.

Remember when Barristan disappeared from the books and then showed up again at the other end of the world with an assumed name? That was awesome.

Did we need to get a string of chapters about how Barristan escaped King's Landing, how he met Strong Belwas, their long sea voyages, etc. ... not really. Eliding characters when they're not doing anything terribly interesting is something GRRM should do more often.

Which did make it fun reading. Having Cersei congratulate herself on a poorly made decision was good stuff. Cersei's just such a wonderfully nasty character to see the world from.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  11. Shurik

12. superdeluxe

Great casting...Not familiar with Van Houten's work, but she definitely has the look..and Dillane was great in John Adams.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Carice Van Houten is great casting for Melisandre. :techman:

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only dropping by this thread for a moment... I'm almost halfway through book 3, I'll be back when I'm done. :D

15. superdeluxe

16. Shurik

Recently Carice Van Houten played a witch in Black Death, which also featured Sean Bean and Emun Elliot (the bard Marillion, who went with Catelyn to the Eyre and whose tongue Joffrey chopped in the finale). IMDB has a good picture of her from this movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3333195008/tt1181791

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Liam Cunningham has been cast as Davos Seaworth. He's perfectly suited to the part in my opinion. Also, Oliver Ford Davies has been cast as Maester Cressen.

18. superdeluxe

Tony Curran as Edmure and James Purefoy for Mance (hopes)

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

io9 has a new interview with Martin up, wherein he talks about issues of identity in the series as a whole and in A Dance with Dragons specifically. (There are some mild spoilers for Dance.)

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Filming on the second season has been underway for a few days. Reports are that actor Karl Davies has been cast to play a character names Alton Lannister, with reports from the set indicating this may be a renamed Cleos Frey, giving support to the quite widely-made prediction that the second season will bring forward much of Jaime's storyline from the third book.