A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

^Wow, that's impressive, though I'm afraid I won't be able to sit up to watch it!

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Which is one way of resolving the story down south to deal with the more important thing, like I said. Someone can win, they can call a truce to deal with it together, the smarter people can leave the south to go up to deal with things, leaving the idiots to die fighting for the throne, etc.

Really only difference is the aftermath, whether they go back to fighting after or if enough people die during the struggle that only one is left with a strong enough claim to take the throne...for now...

3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

The throne still matters because someone has to be in charge if they defeat the white walkers. And likely it will be the one who least committed their forces to the North to be chewed up by the walkers.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if that's true, here's a question for all: who would you want to see on the Iron Throne when the dust settles? Not who do you think will be there, but who would you want it to be?

Tirion would be my first choice, both because he'd be good at it and it'd be fun to watch. After that, I'm not sure. Probably Arya. :D

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Tommen would make a great king when he's older.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw Two Swords on the big screen last night and IMHO its possibly the strongest season opener yet. Don't have time to write a full review now but would anyone be interested in a spoiler-ish review if I did one?

7. Takeru

Takeru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No one has to be in charge of Westeros as a whole, it could be divided into seperate kingdoms again and that's how I think the series will end. Someone will sit on the iron throne but it will have lost most of its meaning, the new king/queen on the iron throne will probably just rule one of several kingdoms.

8. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The stuff that was omitted from season one and two didn't really bother me but season three left out a lot of real character moments from Storm of Swords. Even though it only dealt with the first half of the book it seemed to cut out a lot of really great action and plot.

I believe that Seasons five, six, and some of seven will still be working on material from ADWD. The Winds of Winter will be released shortly, which will cover seasons seven and eight. That leaves the final novel for seasons nine and ten.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They've consistently said that the show will run for no more than eight seasons, and now they're saying they're aiming for seven seasons. Season five will most likely finish off Dance and get into at least some of Winds.

10. theenglish

Unless Martin has worked far beyond what he has consistently said, this will not be the case. There are at least ten seasons for this show.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Martin has no say in how long the show lasts.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Martin has told them in broad strokes what he plans for all of the storylines through to the end. The show will end before the book series does. That's now clear. The producers have specifically ruled out running the show for ten seasons. They've also ruled out suspending production to allow Martin time to catch up.

13. theenglish

Where is the link to this?

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

There have been any number of interviews with the producers over the years where they've addressed these topics. Their most recent interviews in the run-up to season four's premiere are where they've spoken about their goal now being a seven-season show. It's been a major topic of conversation on fan sites for weeks now, and it was discussed earlier in this thread. Just Google "Game of Thrones seven seasons" and you'll find plenty on it.

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

You also don't need links so much as recognizing this is real life and in real life a show doesn't suspend production for a couple years while books are written. They wouldn't be able to hold onto the actors that long. Seven or eight seasons sounds about right. Martin's just speaking nonsense, whether he realizes it's nonsense or not.

16. theenglish

Well, thanks for the non links but if you go to Rolling Stone there are several articles where the producers talk about waiting for Martins books to be released and even Martin giving them information about upcoming plots in case he dies. So I am calling bulls##t on your fan sites until I get credible information otherwise.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Will this link satisfy you? It's Entertainment Weekly, two weeks ago (March 11th), and it quotes Benioff, Weiss, and HBO programming chief Michael Lombardo.

The intention of the network and the producers is seven, maybe eight, seasons, whether or not Martin finishes the book series by that time.

18. theenglish

My apologies. This is quite different than what I read only last summer. Even the article linked to in the one you posted says that the producers aren't even going to worry about the possibility of catching up to the books for another two or three seasons.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I said there had been a lot of discussion on fan sites about the interviews with the producers, not that fan sites were the only source of information. If you had carried out the Google search I recommended a lot of links with information about those recent interviews with the producers would have come up.
    The article linked to is from June 2013 after the third season had ended. Two seasons from that point is season five.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The title for the seventh episode has been revealed: "Mockingbird".

And here's a new gallery of pictures from season four.

It must have been nifty seeing it on the big screen. I'd be interested in your review if you have the time to write it up. How did everything, especially the SFX, hold up on the big screen?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014