A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The earliest example of this kind of episode that I'm aware of was some episode of M*A*S*H and I think that one wasn't so bad. However, this episode of B5 was the first time I had seen it done and at the time I really liked it (still do, to a point.)

As for the BSG's 'Final Cut', I actually quite liked that one too. Partly because it was nice to see Lucy Lawless in a serious role, not yelping like a loon, hopping around in a leather mini-skirt, chucking frisbees at people. Plus my inner geek jumped for joy when the old BSG theme kicked in...which is in itself a little odd since I'm not much of an old BSG fan. Go figure.

Oh and yeah, I noticed the screen was cropped very strangely in some scenes too. Another unfortunate artefact of the poor DVD transfer I'm afraid.

2. JoeD80

JoeD80 Captain Captain

The episode was "The Interview" shot in black & white and using improvised interview segments filmed with the actors. Larry Gelbart, the one who developed M*A*S*H for television, wrote it as his last episode before he left the show at the end of the fourth season. The concept was also brought back in season 7's "Our Finest Hour" but it was used for a simple clip show framework there.

I thought the Babylon 5 episode was fun, but I'm a sucker for episodes that jump outside the usual format. The little bits and pieces that are important here are not necessarily the conflict itself, but the idea that Psi Corps advertises itself as a place for your special kid to go and that the Earth has formed special ministries, and that the sponsor of the news is Interplanetary Expeditions. Some of this does come up again in some ways, but we're holding off on spoilers.

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I really dig "And Now For a Word"... Still one of my favorite S2 episodes.

I think it does quite a good job of dealing out large amounts of exposition through its chosen format style.
    It avoids a great deal many moments of "Captain exposition", which B5 frequently has. :)

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a great moment, and as usual, Biggs sells it well (I may have said this already, but in my mind Franklin is by far the best of the show's human leads.)

I also liked the bit with the posturing Senator, rather tritely observing that if the war was waged today, things would have gone different - only, er, we won. Watch some Fox News if anyone thinks his haughty cocksure attitude is unrealistic.

I also like how Londo frames the Centauri position, but that may just be me liking Londo.

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yes it is a pretty good parody/satire of current TV news. Be it CNN, FOX, or whatever. It's almost as if the more TV news you watch, the more enjoyable "And Now For a Word" is. I think it is a quite cleverly constructed episode.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, after Sinclair, Franklin is probably the strongest of the human characters. A lot of that has to do with Richard Biggs's performance. Moreover, I liked that we got to see
    his gradual slip into drug addiction and his struggles to recover.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  7. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

middy, please don't post spoilers. TGB is only on Season 2.

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fan-bleedin'-tastic.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

In a side note: My checkout guy at the supermarket yesterday was named Rick Biggs. He sold me carrots. :devil:

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My deepest apologies. It slipped my mind when I was posting last night. Trust me it was not intentional.

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's never been a problem before nor is it now, so no worries, middy. Trust me... I know all too well from personal experience how easy it is to get lost in the moment.

[​IMG]

12. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

I understand this....just like my spelling errors. No bad intent just mistakes...

13. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to LOVE the media eps on TV series, including the one they had on West Wing.

But it's what I do for a living, so I'm going to be biased on that score. I'm very interested in showing the media doing it's thing in my fictional universes.

Loved it on B5, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing, X Files, Farscape etc. I tend to enjoy the change of perspective, and the outsider's look at our characters.

Even the "Storyteller" ep of Buffy played on this idea.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I did like it on Farscape.

But that's, well, a little different. Definitely not as exposition heavy as the B5 equivalent.

15. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

I see "Now for a Word" as a different and interesting experiment in storytelling format..And I love the Psi-Corps commercial....Other than that well just a quick covering of the events so far that episode was....

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I must confess that I am a Babylon 5 virgin and I must take care of this problem and go rent some DVDs!

17. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Do it. Now. :D

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, Immediately. Drop everything else. Including eating, sex, and showering. Although, you can make up the eating while you watch. The rest you can do later.

19. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

You could probably schedule sex during "Infection" and "TKO". You won't miss much. :D

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

But only safe sex.

"PROTECT!"