A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it would have spared me from having to watch the silly dance.

Okay, fine, I'll get back to being funny. :(

Funny... funny... what would be funny...?

Aha, got it!

[​IMG]

The two people that remember this joke are now mildly amused.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And some do. Ivanova's plan isn't super smart, it's an obscenely reckless gamble. She just happens to luck onto exactly the response she needed. He has to not have any concern about safety precautions, and he has to be able not to think or question about what is happening at all. Luckily, he doesn't, but if he did, kaput goes your stab.

Of course not.

My opinion is a fact. :vulcan:

So, if it is my opinion that Londo Mollari is the main character of B5, then it is factually true that this is my opinion.

My opinion is not fact, though. The 'a' is important, methinks.

But that aside, I just like simple, declarative statements, because the alternative is the rambling overlong sentence with far too many commas that a dyslexic might create, for example, this one.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I found Babylon 5 funny quite often. JMS is funny in the script books, too.

4. I think this is mostly true. Maybe a tad harsh but generally right.

The "humorous" scenes on Babylon 5 are truly cringe-worthy. The "sex" scene is a particularly egregious example, but there are a fair amount of other "cute" funny scenes which are mind-bogglingly un-funny.

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's better.

:bolian:

6. stonester1

She gambled. Sometimes you do this. She had reason to believe she had the high hand.

There's a "rolling the hard six" joke in here someplace.

Well...there you go.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

I have watched Jackass. It's not funny.

The Ivanova dance isn't funny either, it's cringe worthy. However the reactions of the two Lumati is certainly comical. As for the plausibility of the ruse...well since we have no clue how alien sex rituals compare (nor do I really want to, especially if a pak'ma'ra is involved) I suppose it's as plausible as anything else.
    Still if you must have a point of comparison, the newcomers on Alien Nation did it by humming loudly on each other's backs while Vulcans have a thing with gentle finger touching. I wouldn't be surprised if Drazi foreplay involved a head butting contest.

Point is the Lumati are culturally insular and wouldn't know any different. Plus Ivanova is at her core a mischievous extrovert and a party girl (seriously, watcher her any time she has a drink in her hand; 'Parliament of Dreams' is a good example.) The whole morbidly depressed, deathly serious, rip your lungs out as soon as look at you thing is just an elaborate front. ;)

8. Kegg

Oh I can buy the dance as foreplay (surely that could be hypothetically anything, and there could be species who do not use the concept). But not as sex. Which apparently Ivanova is selling it as.

9. stonester1

Of course it's not. The question was whether stunt people always put on safety gear. The answer is NO.

Exactly. Although I like Ivanova's stuff, though more what she said than the dance itself.

Don't forget Klingons...

And in the case of their rulers, never, ever, EVER admit it.

10. Kegg

It was never that.

First, it was whether or not they sometimes take precautions.

And second, that they take precautions.

That's different. Stuff like researching what it is you're going to do and what the consequences to you could be, and, of course, how to do it right.

11. Reverend

I think you're confusing a sex act with mating. Not necessarily the same thing for all forms of life. It really depends on your definition. For all the Lumati knew about human anatomy, when she held his hand, it counted as third base (or 5th if you're a Centauri.)
    Either way it's probably best not to over think this. Besides, I rather think the dance was meant to be silly, not necessarily funny.

12. stonester1

And my point was, for whatever reason, sometimes people don't give a shit about any of that.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Although I bet she could've gotten away with a blowjob.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

pak'ma'ra (no caps) reproductive methods: pak'ma'ra hav no males or females; all pak'ma'ra are the same 'gender'. Reproduction is via a form of pathogenesis...

Oops, sorry....you *didn't* want to know! :p

Jan

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

What really annoys me is when a scene is on its way to being hilarious, but they keep the joke going too long and too intricately, and just suck all the funny out of it.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Londo and the bug is one of my favorite humorous moments in the show.

17. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

B5's humor certainly is hit and miss. Mostly hits for me, though. :)

But I have to admit that I just cannot rewatch the Ivanova 'sex scene'. It falls flat for me. But hey - that's ok.

18. Reverend

Well technically all comedy is hit and miss, from a certain point of view. Something can only be funny or not depending on who's watching.

Case in point...
    ...Lochley's reaction to Rebo & Zooty. One of the old magazines had an interview with Neil Gaiman who said the intent when writing was to mirror his experience as a Brit abroad observing American humour and being left wondering what everyone was laughing to hard at. If I recall he was confused as anyone as to why they hired Penn & Teller.

Regardless, JMS isn't a comedy writer, that's a whole other profession. So the fact he and/or the actors occasionally get in a funny moment is just a bonus. As for the other times...well that's just mathematics. ;)

Yeah, great thanks, just when I'd purged the image of what's under that "not really a hump." :p

[Edit] though it did remind me I needed to finish up the section on pak'ma'ra biology from the wika. Joy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In regards to the comedy, so far I would say that it's 50/50; there are times when the show is genuinely funny and there are times when it seems to be trying too hard. Comedy can be a fine line, and JMS can't please everyone all the time, so as long as he pleases me some of the time I'm okay with it. My favourite comedic scene so far was the zipper scene between Garibaldi and Sinclair on the way to B4, that was the sort of awkward/stupid conversation I enjoy having. I'm sure a dozen other people here hated it.

Hunter, Prey (**½)

Also known as: Mind War 2: Less Interesting Boogaloo.

I suppose that's my biggest problem with this episode, I feel like I've seen it before; some guy knows a dark secret about Earth organisations so he comes to Babylon 5 to get away (which is where one of his students happens to be) and Earth sends some officials to find him while the station commander tries to help him escape. Sadly, Dr Jacobs is less interesting than Jason Ironheart because Dr Jacobs is a frail old man and not a dangerously-engineered super-entity. This episode also lacks Bester, his role is filled by Cranston, whom is played by the most wooden guest actor Deep Space Nine ever had, Scott Bakula.

We do get to learn more about the Vorlons though. Well, not really, just just learn that their ships are organic and heavily pixelated when viewed up close. We do get some confirmation that President Clark was probably in on the plan to assassinate Santiago, and we get to see the senior staff in on the counter-conspiracy against Clark, but was that really worth such an uninspired story? I'm sure that things mentioned in this episode will be important later, particularly the things relating to the Vorlons, but the episode itself wasn't that interesting.

I did like the scene where Garibaldi and Franklin discuss the future, but other than that... meh. :shrug:

Scott Bakula: 30

20. Kegg

I'd never considered it as similar to Mind War, but you're right.

Nope.

Not that it isn't or is important, but the story wasn't worth it.
    Ultimately the payoff of this episode is what, a single line down the road about the medical report? It's the evidence Ivanova gets via Epsilon III that is the only really important arc relevant material. This episode episode, feh.