A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Trivia: In 1996, "The Coming of Shadows" won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, beating DS9's "The Visitor", among other nominees.

A year later, Babylon 5 won its second Hugo with the Season 3 episode "Severed Dreams".

2. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That Kai has proven to be quite dastardly in that thread.

The thing that's brilliant about CoS - aside from all the classic scenes (Londo and G'Kar's drink, for instance) and the classic lines ("How will this end?" "In fire.") - is how the episode seems to be about one thing but flips on its head and becomes about something far more substantial. And it keeps doing this!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure, but I think this episode may have been the first one where fans noticed the 'B5 time dilation bubble' where it seems like there's a lot more than 42 minutes to the episode.

Jan

4. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

;)

5. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Londo and G'Kar are the best characters on that show hands down.

Instead of Crusade they should have done a spinoff called the Londo and G'Kar Show, about the two of them, about the two of them going to Earth together and traveling around the world, getting into adventures whereever they went.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol:

I love this!

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Here is the original scene, though it benefits enormously from the context of the actual movie (well worth seeing, that.)

Something that had occurred to me when he made that comment in that review; at the time, I had just watched some pretty heady Londo/G'Kar stuff from later in the show.

The long dance of Londo and G'Kar is Babylon 5. Though he's right, it can also be handled pretty badly (and G'Kar gets just a little over-the-top here.)

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GROPOS (**)

This is just hwat I as hopping for, an episod gfollowing on from the outbreal of war bettween the Narn nad Centauri that as altmos nothing to do with it and which doe not featrue G'kar or Londo. I'm so gald that the writingers instead decifned to have an episofn which focusing on a bunchd of charactrs I dfon#t know nor care about nor event like. Yes, it's ntice toknow tht Eargt Force is perparing for a widfer conflit, but to bare;y addtess thw actuial contflict ir issitatting.

Genrral Franklin: As soon as he shower up I anf mentrioned that he was Dr Frajlinn's dad I hreahd the band ftrom that repisode of Family Guy that Peyter had folloeing hinm in case he had a touvching momrent wit his dad. You know, "De da daaaa". I was noth disappointeed.

PFC Dodger: I liked seeing het in a tnak-top, but othert thar that I had not interest in hter. When sher died all i feltwas sad dfor Graibaldi becausre he mised hisa charce to get lad. Poir Galibali.

PFC Large: THe tall balck militaty tough guy who latghs at evrey thing. He's a copy anf paste job from a thousghand other TV shows and movies.

Sergent Plug: Yhr whiute skinnhead guy that staets fihgts caused he's in the armty and army guhys are dumb and aggrreside. ANother capy ang paste jobs.

The scared guy: Your typical rookig. Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V.

Thry a;l died now, but I isn#t saad. Didn't much care for this eppitoad.

Scone Bagula: 26

9. Kegg

Contrasting this with the previous episode pretty much sums up the problems of DiTillio's scripts, which isn't entirely his fault: "The Coming of Shadows" works because it's the culmination of lots of stuff from earlier in the show, a slow burn working in events from "Signs and Portents" and "Chrysalis", but it's even "Midnight on the Firing Line" in reverse! And, in the last, it leaves an impact; it shatters the status quo and leads us on wherever we're going.

"GROPOS" involves an alien species and conflict we've never heard of before and a character who has never been mentioned either; and the cliche of trumping out a relative to tie in your story is probably older than the big bang. It all shows up out of nowhere and then resolves very quickly. Even if it were followed up at any point later in the series, there's no sense that it should be, and some lines about the Narn-Centuari conflict almost seem like after-the-fact touches - remove them and this could have aired the week before.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I think somebody has been celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

But that's true of a lot of stuff which *is* followed up, so I'd remind everyone that what doesn't happen can be as much a spoiler as what does in some cases.

12. Kegg

Which is why my wording is rather deliberate. I don't say it wasn't followed up, just that there's no sense in the episode that it should be - while "The Coming of Shadows" is an episode in rather blatant need of further events.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they should have been the opening act for Rebo and Zooty.

:confused:

No, maybe Rebo and Zooty should have opened for THEM.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Good lord that must've been hard to type so badly! :lol:

One thing to remember, though, is that all of the threads are up in the air throughout and so the episodes will weave in and out keeping them all current.

Jan

15. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favorite eps. No offense, but I'm thinking you ARE a plot whore, TGB. Instead of just letting it unfold, you want it NOW.

Relax, it will come. Try to enjoy the other eps as they are.

I LOVED this one.

This is a big universe. There isn't one single linear plot going on. There are at least three major ones and several minor ones unspooling.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I feel like there is a joke with his post that I'm not getting.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

With my post?

I'm just saying it looks like it was typed by a drunk guy.

18. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Babylon 5 and plot arcs, JMS tends to take a long run up before things get really interesting. Which is partly why season finales are usually followed by relatively sedate season premiers. In this case, take GROPOS as a quick break before the plot breaks out in a dead run. There's a similar situation in season 3 and likewise when it finally kicks of things can really snowball and take on an unexpected momentum.

The Narn and the Centauri may have declared war, but neither were really geared up for it so it'll naturally take both sides a little time to mobilize before getting into it properly, so what you see in GROPOS is just EarthGov hedging their bets, using a smaller conflict to position themselves better for whatever may come next and probably a warning to both sides that the EA still has teeth. Saber rattling, as Sheridan said.

19. Kegg

Also no offense, but I was under the impression given over the years that "GROPOS" is not highly regarded, with its heavy handed war cliches plus the spectacularly trite father/son bonding.

The truth is, as I've bloviated about, B5 just frequently isn't good at the stuff that isn't big arc events. When I pick out what I think are the best episodes of the season ("The Coming of Shadows", and some others) they're almost heavily arc related.

"In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum"
    "The Long Twilight Struggle"
    "Comes the Inquisitor"
    "The Fall of Night"

The only exception is
    "Confessions and Lamentations"
    , really.

"GROPOS", however, just blows, and if that was typical - nay, standard - of Babylon 5, it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never heard that. Further, I often use the ep to introduce others to B5. I've never gotten a "that was not good" reaction. The reactions are always positive, from mild to fairly enthusiastic.

That's where we differ. I frequently enjoy the non-arc eps, especially with more of what they reveal about the B5 U and tidbits with the characters. The non-arc eps often add to the world building exercise that is B5, one of the reasons I love it so much.