A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

And yet, the Passing of the Technomages is an excellent trilogy.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, it is. For some reason, the whole technomage thing seems to work better in that medium than rendered onto the small screen where ham acting can run riot.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

My big problem with the Technomages is that their introduction in B5 was also their departure from the series. We had no backstory nor any reason to care that they were leaving. It was really hard to give a shit.

4. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't even understand how that happened, but that's not my post.

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I liked the Galen in the series but the one in the novels just never came over as the same character to me.

Jan

6. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

^A techno-mage must have done it. ;)

I still haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but I gather the idea was to show how drastically the events of the novels (I gather the flashback from 'Path of Sorrows' was part of them) has changed him. No idea if that logic holds much water though. All I can say is that I've gotten about a third of the way through the last Centauri book and the two or three times he's shown up has been pretty much in line with the Peter Woodward's performance.

By contrast, Bester's characterisation in the second & third Psi Corps novels was pretty much dead on, but, to be fair that author had a lot more to go on.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't read any of the Babylon 5 books or comics (if they were ever available here they are before my time) so no comment.

GALEN!

But seriously I multiquoted a half dozen posts, and then pared it down to the handful of quotes I wanted to append to whatever the heck it was I was saying. I grabbed David's post, then realized I could just use Reverend's for that point, and clearly, my editing skills are as sloppy and lazy as ever.

Been corrected, though!

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I really need to read them again and be on the lookout for just such a change. I just kinda disliked the novel version from the start and probably didn't keep an open enough mind.

True. And the backstory was great, too.

Jan

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Patterns of the Soul (**)

This episode is kind of hard to judge, it keep swerving between being vaguely interesting and being somewhat dull. That has nothing to do with A or B plots, it's just that some scenes and plot points are interesting and others are not. The overall plot felt tired as I've seen it a few times, but I the conspiracy and the infected food stuff was a twist that held my attention. I liked the leader of the world, he seemed like a reasonable guy, it's a pity he didn't have the charisma to keep his people in line. The other colonist guy that kidnapped the doctor and tried to run was a cliché, could have done without him. Dureena running into some of her people was just kind of there. The episode had Max, which was good, but he didn't really do anything.

The solution seemed a little rushed and I'm not sure how Gideon got that one past the brass. Dr Chambers is clearly in view on the bridge of the colonist's ship right before it blows up, so is she going to pretend that she's dead from now on? Wouldn't the General guy want a little more proof than an edited video showing a ship being blowed up real good?

I have some other thoughts but they're more about the show as a whole and I think they'd work better when I do my season wrap-up. I know that you're all on the edge of your seats to find out what I have to say, just be patient and wait a day or two.

Scott Bakula: 93

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

From the Lurker's Guide:

High profile mission or not, I don't think most Generals would know all of the department heads on the ships under their command by sight.

Jan

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes as a sleeping aide.

12. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I can't wait a day or two. I want it now! :klingon:

:p

13. TheGodBen

The Rules of the Game (**½)

There's two plots in this episode, an A-plot that's not really important and which is more interested in Lochley's boobs than the alien-of-the-week, and a B-plot that's about how Max is something of a badass.

In the A-story, Gideon is trying to negotiate the right to land on some planet because some people died there at one point a long, long time ago and Earth Force has a good feeling that maybe there's a clue there about the current unrelated plague. But more on that tomorrow. Gideon is really stressed out from having the weight of the world on his shoulders, so he focuses his energy on trying to get his hands on Lochley's boobs. But first he has to meet with some obnoxious aliens who decide to kill him with magic rubies. This leads to a chase and a fight which gets him and Lochley all sweaty and their hearts pumping, so they rush into the shower like a couple of horny teens. Gideon has finally achieved his goal for the series, he got to wash Lochley's boobs. Yay. If this plot has a fault then it's me, because I just don't care about Gideon's attempts to fondle Lochley. I barely even care about Gideon or Lochley.

In the B-story, Max's ex-wife took out a ridiculous loan and needs Max to bail her out. Max agrees to help but he insists on a haircut on the debt. If I had more skill and it wasn't rapidly approaching 3am then I'd make some sort of topical joke about the eurozone debt crisis, but you'll just have to settle for this sentence. Anyway, Max's cat gets abducted and he decides to break bad (have I used that colloquialism correctly?) by threatening to kill the loanshark with a magic necklace that will decapitate him if he doesn't give the cat back. The cat is saved, Max goes back to work and everybody is happy. Yay. This plot wins points because I got to see more of Max, who is a much bigger badass than Galen can even dream of being.

Scott Bakula: 94

Alright, I'll do a wrap-up of Crusade tommorow (hopefully), then I'll watch the finale two movies.

14. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having never seen Crusade, I honestly can't tell if this synopsis is obfuscating jokes or actually semi-legit.:vulcan:

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Nope, that was the plot all right!

16. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

At least it focused on the one redeeming aspect of Crusade.

*wink wink - nudge nudge - know what I mean know what I mean*

17. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

All the Galen hate is a little surprising--always liked him. Probably my favorite character on Crusade, largely informed by the trilogy though, I think.

18. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved Galen. He had some of the best lines in Crusade.

19. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I was a huge Max Eilerson fan and I loved DDK's character. I was so tickled when he popped up on Lost. (Can't get into the cop show though.)

20. TheGodBen

Crusade Review

WHO ARE YOU? TheGodBen, nerd, member of the TrekBBS forums.
    WHAT DO YOU WANT? Breaking Bad season 5, before I tear out all the hair on my head.
    WHERE ARE YOU GOING? To get some mints, back in a mo'... Okay, back now.
    WHO DO YOU SERVE? AND WHO DO YOU TRUST? My hairdresser, Tony Danza, Nelson Mandela, Anthony Daniels, Markus Persson, Omar Little and Scott Bakula.
    WHO DO YOU SERVE? AND WHO DO YOU TRUST? I just told you!

[​IMG]

No, I didn't change the colour of the graph for Crusade and you're silly for thinking I would.

This graph shows what everybody told me at the start, that the grey uniform episodes tend to be better than the black uniform episodes. What does this mean? That those grey uniforms were magic, clearly. Or that network interference screwed the show, whichever you choose to believe. The average score for the show was 4.538, which is the second lowest score I gave to a season, just above Voyager's 3rd season. The trendline is pretty useless this time around because all the episodes were jumbled, but it's part of the graph template so I left it in.

[​IMG]

With so few episodes, this graph is almost meaningless, but it's my job to pretend that there's meaning here and pretend I shall. If it wasn't for all those 3s then the season would be fairly balanced. In spite of the overall score, there are a number of good or enjoyable episodes here, and while there's no episode that I consider great, there's also no episode that I consider awful.

Best episode: The Needs of Earth
    Worst episode: War Zone

Statistics

Captain Greyshirt: 22 (+6)
    Scott Bakula: 94 (+20)
    Scott Bakula?!: 4 (+0) (I don't even remember what this counter was for. :confused:)

B5 Season 1 Average: 5.045
    B5 Season 2 Average: 5.682
    B5 Season 3 Average: 6.5
    B5 Season 4 Average: 7.136
    B5 Season 5 Average: 6.545
    B5 Overall Average: 6.171

Crusade Average: 4.538

Voyager Final Average: 4.875
    Enterprise Final Average: 5.206

In Summation

Wow, what a journey Crusade has been, a whole year. I'd like to think that I'm a better man now than I was when I started; wiser, and with softer skin. None of that has anything to do with Crusade because I wasn't even watching the show for most of that time, I just want you all to know that my ego has improved while I was away.

Since this is officially a Star Trek board (I know, I forget sometimes too), I'm going to have to say that Crusade reminds me the most of Enterprise. That's not intended as an insult, I felt that Enterprise was okay overall, but I have to say that I find both shows somewhat disappointing. Crusade had an opportunity to explore the Babylon 5 universe and visit the worlds of aliens we have come to know, but instead it introduces lots of new aliens and tells stories about them. And, sadly, a lot of those stories felt uninspired. Also, and I've said this before, Gideon reminds me most of Captain Archer. In both cases I want to like the character because I like the actor that plays him, but in both cases I was left wondering why these men were given such important jobs.

I have also come to the opinion that the show's hook, finding a cure to the Drakh plague, was a poor one. Excalibur travels the galaxy looking for evidence that this artificial plague has been used before; it's hard to imagine an endgame for that. A mysterious alien that's building a super-weapon to blow up Earth real good is an arc that you can get your head around, the heroes need to find the weapon and blow it up. Finding a cure for a plague on some random world and curing everyone just doesn't quite work in my head. It's difficult to even see how such a search could even come up with any leads to find a cure. And it almost universally doesn't, most episodes use the premise to tell an episodic story that's not related to the search for a cure.

What hurts the show the most for me is probably obvious; Galen. I can't stand him. I can't stand what he is, I can't stand his personality, I can't stand his hair... there's nothing that I can think of that redeems him for me. The best thing about finishing Crusade is that I will never have to see his odious face ever again.

Next up is The Legend of the Rangers, followed by The Lost Tales. Oh, the box-art for The Lost Tales looks interesting, there's Lochley, and Sheridan, and... godammit! :sigh: