A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

What about "The 40-Year-Old Minbari?"

2. JoeD80

JoeD80 Captain Captain

Probably true. However, these particular raids were mentioned by Joe which is why I started to connect the pieces. They aren't mentioned until the Drakh move in to Centauri Prime, but they are shortly after, and it would be easy for the Drakh to start using ships the minute they get there:
    A couple of loose ends that are tied up but left open at the same time. I think the orgies ended when Byron sacrificed the Telepaths.

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

While I think most of season 5 is sub-par, The Fall of Centauri Prime still manages to end up on my top 10 list of all B5 episodes.

Such a wonderful and tragic episode.

4. Reverend

Reverend Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't say the Drakh had nothing to do with it, just that there's no direct connection between the normal criminal raiders and the Drakh nor with the Drazi backed raiders and the control pods. Both groups were operating at the same time and both were taking advantage of the same situation, that's about it.

Slightly off topic, but I do wonder why the Drakh don't appear to have a home of their own. I mean they didn't evolve on Z'ha'dum and they defiantly weren't there while the Shadows were sleeping, at least not in force. So where did they hang out before the Icarus blundered in and tripped the proverbial burglary alarm? Did the Vorlons blow it up or had they been nomads for all those centuries? If so then where did they get all those ships? You can't build fleets like that without some form of established infrastructure, even if it's a race of enslaved bronze-tech aliens with keepers on their necks.

5. JoeD80

JoeD80 Captain Captain

I forgot to mention that the quote from Joe was in specific reference to the control pod episode, which is why I associate "raids starting to take place" in season four with "control pods" because that seemed to be what he was implying. The storylines are more often tied together than a random occurrence of off-screen events. You're right that I forgot the timeline on the Drazi raids though.

I don't think they went to Z'ha'dum until the signal had been sent out, so they were probably wandering somewhere. Perhaps their ships were seeded around like the Shadow ships?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. I agree. This thread inspired me to watch the last few episodes of S5 on Netflix instant viewing and I had more or less the same reaction. Actually I forwarded past the scenes so that should tell you something.

However, there is a pretty interesting payoff coming to the non-triangle.

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen it, but it makes less sense to me, 'cause hyzmarca was describing plot points I remember from the film The Last American Virgin. And ya kinda need the word Virgin in there for the joke to be funny.

8. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it might be my very favourite moment. :) I started crying the first time I watched it. :alienblush:

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sad thing is that Enterprise actually had an episode like that when Trip and Malcolm went to Risa. I must admit, this show has been a considerable step up from that.

Sheridan and Delenn's kid travels back in time from the future and reveals that he is Lennier?! :eek: What a twist! What a deeply disturbing twist. :wtf:

I'm a bit too manly for something like that to happen to me, clearly, but there is a small chance that my eyes were beginning to water. A very small chance. It almost certainly didn't happen, so I don't know why I've brought it up.

The Wheel of Fire (***)

As the title episode for the season I was expecting something more epic, so perhaps that influenced my judgement. I imagined that some disaster would happen that threatened the galaxy, instead this episode introduced plot elements that I cannot imagine will be resolved by the finale.

Firstly, there's the plot about Garibaldi's alcoholism. I've enjoyed the arc up to this point, but the conclusion of it here comes across like an after-school special about why people drink. Lochley's little speech in particular made me want to turn off the TV and go back to reading about Francoist Spain. (I was interested in learning more about a fellow EU country, okay?) The start of the episode has Sheridan telling Garibaldi that he suspected he was drinking for some time, which means that Sheridan felt that Garibaldi wasn't up to the task of alerting the White Star fleet to prevent the war with the Centauri, but he still gave him that important job. It's becoming plainly obvious why Sheridan is considered a poor President.

Speaking of Sheridan, he and Delenn are having a baby. This came as a huge shock, except for the fact that I knew this was going to happen ever since War Without End. Sheridan also knew, but I'll accept his shock as the reality of the situation setting in.

The main plot was about Lyta turning into a terrorist and scaring everyone by threatening to break a crowd into some sort of musical number. Luckily, Sheridan put a gun to her head and saved us all from the horror. He's not such a bad President after all. The set-up here would have been more interesting were it not being set 2 years after the show ends. Perhaps the movies will follow up on it because the show almost certainly wont; there's only 3 episodes left, two of which are about Newtonian mechanics and the finale is about nocturnal animals.

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Yeah...we'll see about that...;)

Jan

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

Babylon Five: The Musical!

I'd pay good money to see it.

12. Reverend

Reverend Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It would have been strangely appropriate to see Zack break into a song and dance number...

"No boom today..."

If you recall from way back in 'Z'ha'dum', Sheridan's logic RE:time travel doesn't include pre-destination paradoxes. He thought what he saw was the result of him heeding Delenn's warning...which is admittedly pretty dumb for a supposedly skilled strategist and tactician, but there you are. Jonny boy has a few blindspots; personal relationships, people with substance abuse issues, not using nuclear wepons and temporal mechanics are right at the top of the list. His reaction to her being pregnant may have been more of a "Bugger, I thought I dodged this bullet! Now I have to sit through 291 Minbari pregnancy rituals."

13. JoeD80

JoeD80 Captain Captain

That's always been one of my favorite scenes; Lyta is so caught up in her power she doesn't realize that she can still be defeated until she hears the PPG power up.

Part of it is Joe's intentionally structuring the show so that the story still goes on even after the show ends. Also, the planned feature film that unfortunately didn't get made would have taken place 2 years later, but the main points are resolved here: now Garibaldi has a way to get rid of Bester's blocks, the Psi Corps headquarters has finally been attacked directly, and Lyta is the doomsday Telepath. Also recall that there was some more setup in the Psi Corps episode when the fleet of ships standing by in Hyperspace was revealed.

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he also had no idea how old their son was in WWE, and given that he and Delenn are two different species, he may well have assumed that they adopted at some point. Given that he's deeply concerned about complications when he talks to Franklin, he probably still thinks this may be a false alarm or somehow misleading.

I don't think it really counts a spoiler to confirm that Sheridan's paranoid delusions are just that, and Delenn is currently pregnant with the same son who will one day manage to get his parents locked in a dungeon in bombed-out Centauri Prime.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I really hate the way the crew treats Lyta in these late episodes. She pulled their asses out of the fire once or twice, and deserves better.

According to Pat Tallman, the cast even treated HER that way for a while - fallout from being in character.

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really wanted to see that Telepath War movie. I also wanted to see them spring Talia on us again. Kosh took recordings of her mind early on and could have given Lyta a trigger to reassert her nicer personality with more powerful telekinetic powers to help bring down Psi Corps from the inside. It would have been a nice twist if she'd already done that so that Talia was now a sleeper agent within the Corps.

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Objects in Motion (***½)

Lennier is gone, Londo is gone, G'Kar is gone, Lyta is gone, Garibaldi is gone, Ivanova left a year ago, Sheridan, Delenn and Franklin are all about to leave... at this rate the finale is going to be Vir, Lochley and Zach sitting around making small talk. Is this why people cry when watching the finale, because of the awkwardness of three people that don't know one another trying to have a conversation? I know that 40 minutes of watching that would drive me to tears. :scream:

The show is really winding down now, I feel that if I look closely enough at the background I'll see people taking the sets down. Perhaps it will be visible if they release the show on blu-ray. This show isn't ending with a bang, but a whimper, which is fine by me because this show has had plenty of bangs in its time. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was that it had a plot, something about Garibaldi being assassinated, it wasn't anything to write home about and it continued to set up a plot that doesn't seem likely to be followed through.

The core of this episode was the sense that all this is coming to an end as everybody leaves the station. G'Kar and Garibaldi get good send-offs, Lyta gets a send-off where everyone hates her, except perhaps for Zach who feels bad that he never got to learn if she's a natural redhead. Poor Zach, what a tragic end. :( One the other hand, Franklin has enough sex for the both of them with that Martian woman. The episode ends with Sheridan and Delenn deciding to go on a five mile walk of the station, which reminded me of this awesome ad for some reason. Ah, Northern Ireland, you've brought these islands so much tragedy, but then you make an ad like that and remind everyone why they were fighting for you in the first place.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

No bang today...

Trust me, Babylon 5 ends with a bang.
    And, oddly enough, sort of, you do see one of the crew, sort of, striking the set. Sort of.

Crap, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

19. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually....

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

well... sort of