A New Modern Trek Animated Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Opus, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A reality where Romulus is destroyed doesn't seem as interesting a reality where Vulcan is destroyed, on the principle that stories are better when the heroes are the underdogs. Amps up the drama that way. (Think about fictional stories across the whole range of TV shows, movies, plays and books - almost always, the protagonists are at some disadvantage. It's a tried and true strategy for holding people's interest.)

And then there's the pragmatic factor that it's far more likely Trek on TV will key off success (Abrams' movies) than failure (Berman's TV shows). Hollywood no likey failure.

2. Uhura's Panties

Uhura's Panties Ensign Red Shirt

True.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

TNG was not a failure, neither was DS9. Even Voyager was fairly successful! It was only the last two movies and Enterprise that made the viewers turn their backs on Trek.

4. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Another interesting possibility could be if a new animated series picked up the STO timeline and used the STO uniform and ship styling. That way no one has to hire expensive Hollywood megastars, and the fact that it's animated would seem natural instead of jarring.

5. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I've been reconsidering this Modern Trek animated series idea. How many regular viewers does Clone Wars get per new episode. I would bet Trek has a large enough base of hard core fans that would tune in to support it. It may not be the demographic they are looking for however, and that might be a deal breaker...

Of course, it would have to be done well.

6. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

This seems tailor made for a fan production. Or not. I have no idea how long animating takes. Some day I'll buy Anime Studio and find out. :)

7. Temis the Vorta

Hollywood runs on the principle, what have you done for me lately? TNG may as well have happened in the early Triassic (and the TV biz was so different back in the time of dinosaurs that it's useless as a model for anything happening today). DS9 and VOY are also ancient history, and neither was much of a ratings success.

All that counts is whatever is most recent: on TV, that was failure. In movies, that was success.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, you do know theres like at least 1,000 different ones in use in the game right?

9. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Yes. Pick one and run with it. :)

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Having a 24th or 25th century show where the Romulus have been laid low and are no longer a force to be reconned with is bad.

I did have this idea from last year.

To many of the possible new fans of a possible new show, the destruction of Romulus was a forgotten passing reference in a summer movie.

To the more serious long term fan, the absents of Romulus's destruction can be dismissed through some techno-babble multiple universe wrinkle.

Unless a new animated series is going to depict the adventures of Pine-Kirk in the alternate timeline, there is no reason to set the show in said alternate timeline.

A animated series without the sneaky, backstabbing Romulans would be "less."

:)

11. Temis the Vorta

The temporal reset button can un-destroy Vulcan and Romulus both. But since there was no dramatic payoff to Romulus' offscreen destruction, that's another good reason to decanonize it. I have no investment in something I was merely told about in dialogue, but I gotta say, Vulcan went out spectacularly and that should could for something.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The physical existence of the planet Vulcan plays little part on the Star Trek future universe, the same can not be said for the planet Romulus.

If we can somehow talk our way around the idea that there are only ten thousand Vulcan left in the entire Federation (stupid line), then the Vulcans can continue to be both major players and also (somehow) members of the federation council.

Perhaps the large body of Vulcan established colonies with their collective populations of hundreds of millions could continue to hold Vulcan's seat on the council.

:)

13. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

I really thought it would have been intriguing to have a series set in the time after DS 9 and Voyager with a technically non-Starfleet crew as the focus for the first time, and the focus is largely on the shaky future following the Dominion War.

Taking place on an experimental political vessel with representatives/crew members from the various powers in the Alpha Quadrant (Klingon Empire, Cardassian Union, Romulan Star Empire, Bajoran Government, Federation, Dominion, Tzenkethi) working together sometimes in the Alpha Quadrant, but mostly missions in the unexplored sectors of the Beta Quadrant.

Animation would seem the easiest way to go.

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

If TPTB where smart, they would do both.

Make a nuTrek show for the tweens, and make an animated post-24th century Trek show for the old fans.

Hell, even Patrick Stewart could do an occasional episode. He does lots of voice work.

The potential stories, the ability to bring back a lot of alumni, and the ability to cost-effectively give the old fans something of what they miss... it just makes sense. Animation is just way cheaper than live action on every front, and it gives the advantage of real life aging not coming into play.

Hell, I could even imagine Shatner or Nimoy guest starring.

Voice work is so easy compared to physical acting, and it pays well on a time-effort comparison.

They could do so, so, so much.

Hell, tie it in with Star Trek Online, I don't care. Give us a 2409 show, show us some old friends and bring in some new. Admiral Riker, Ambassador Picard, Captain Harry Kim, blah blah blah.

15. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

Todays tweens are like mini adults, they are having sex just as much as adults, thats for sure atleast, I think shows directed for tweens to watch are gonna go out of date due to the increasingly early "adulthood" of modern american children...

16. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

Shame that adulthood is now defined by having sex and popping out babies instead of being a true productive member of society.

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was never like that in the past.

For example, people getting an university education and a career before starting a family. It was so common in the past centuries, and now? Almost unheard of. Such a pity.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I sometimes wonder if most people are decent and most kids are still kids, but it's the smaller number of ones that aren't that sell magazines and are good for television ratings (and thus constantly are in our faces)...

19. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I'm all for an animated series set in the late 24th century. Let JJA handle TOS and its triumvirate on the big screen. TNG-era shows and their ensemble casts work better on TV. Rather than focus on one ship, space station, planet, etc., such an animated series should encompass the era. We would see some familiar characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY as well as New Frontiers and some original characters.

Market it to kids, teens, and adults much like Batman: TAS. That way they could sell lots of toys to kids and develop a new generation of Trekkers.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A thought on a Nu-Trek Animated Series.

With Vulcan destroyed, the Federation was severely weakened. Many new members that joined in the Prime Universe backed away from the UFP, whilst some current members waver as to their continued membership, resulting in a much smaller and less powerful/influential Federation and Starfleet.

In their current state, Starfleet must face off against the growing strengths of the Klingon and Romulan Empires. Though whilst the future Romulan ship has been destroyed, rumours of existing technology drift around the Quadrant, every race knowing that whoever possessed such technology would become stronger than the other major powers.

Determined to regain their former position, Starfleet tasks the U.S.S. Yorktown, under the command of Captain Pike's former Number One, with the mission to find this technology and keep the Empires from unlocking its secrets.