A Look at Caprica

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So in a sense the Cylon War is responsible for this? The colonies put aside their differences and formed a unified government so as to more effectively fight the Cylons?

2. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems the most likely course, though they've never said it outright. It's also possible that federalization came first, and being made redundant by a permanent end to war between the Colonies is what sent the Cylons over the edge and caused them to rebel. But the implication has always been that the federal government was a direct result of the cylon revolution. Take, for instance, the fact that they have a line of succession that goes down forty-some places and a doomsday beacon set up to maintain it. This is not the attitude of a government formed in a climate of puppies and sunshine.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Horrible poster... horrible...

4. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

I wonder if we'll see cylon model actors popping up all over the series as a precursor... they have to had been modeled from someone, right?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I remember, RDM has always maintained that the original seven Cylons did not have original humans who were 'models' for them - their appearances were as artificial as the rest of them.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

True, but then later we found out that Number One was modelled after Ellen's father. Of course, he was on Earth (I) and not the Colonies, but that doesn't preclude other models being based on Colonials of interest. It'll certainly be interesting to see where Daniel Graystone fits into things...

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, I read the RDM quote that referred to that idea fairly recently - he was suggesting that Cylons had distilled the essence of humanity into the twelve models rather than copy specific people.

We know that isn't quite how it worked out, with the Final Five (and as a consequence, Cavil being Ellen's father) rather aptly demonstrated. However, if Cavil is Ellen's father, it'd stand to reason that if the other Cylon models were based on anyone, it was probably other people from Cylon Earth.

Then again, it's a rather conveinent way to include cameos or guest stars from nuBSG, so I wouldn't rule it out.

8. David cgc

They did try to preserve the archetypal representations idea in the Final Five comic, though they'd had to shift it a bit to work with eight models instead of twelve.
    While Number One wasn't based on John Cavil the First because of sentimentality (he'd been behind the recreation of resurrection technology, and fully intended to download after the robot revolution he set in motion, so the first humanoid cylon model was based on him mostly because they had an empty John Cavil body on the ship anyway, so why not get some use out of it?), they did try to create a balanced family, starting with a dreamer and man of faith, Leoban, to contrast One's pragmatic, atheistic outlook, and going on from there.

9. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

gigidy gigidy! :techman:

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I roll my eyes a bit at the overtly sexual nature of the poster, but mostly, it just seems like a rather unflattering picture of Torresani. She's one of those actresses whose face looks weird at certain angles, and that is one of them.

I'm a little bothered by the sex quotient of the poster, too, because it's out-of-character for Zoe. I realize it's supposed to be a metaphor, and marketroids don't care about silly things like having a poster make sense in context, they just want to pull in viewers. It just strikes me as a lazy, "let's bring in the ratings with nudity!" play.

I was also surprised to learn she was 22, though. :lol: I would have pegged her as being in the 14-16 range, based on the mini!

11. David cgc

Well, they do always try to cast young-looking legal adults for continuing roles as teenangers, for child-labor reasons. I remember Doctor Who played with this, when there was a pair of young characters who claimed to be brother and sister but were actually mother and son. They intentionally cast a girl who was 20 but looked 15 to play someone who was 20 and looked 15, playing with that old cliché.

12. billcosby

Absolutely. That is what I was inferring earlier, since it's been heavily suggested he will become
    The seventh, "lost" cylon model

13. David cgc

Well, "become" might be the wrong word for that. I've heard rumors though that he'd actually become
    the First Hybrid from "Razor." That's gotta suck, having your robot daughter start a war that kills millions and then personally kidnaps you to turn you into frankenstein's monster.

Who knows, they might both end up being true.

14. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

If anything, I think the Hybrid/Daniel would have made himself into the Hybrid, to be closer to Zoe... by becoming what she is... in effect taking the holoband contact principle a few steps further.

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I could've sworn RDM said there was no relation and that the "Daniel" Cylon model was just a one-off mention and not anything tied to Caprica.

16. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RDM "said" a lot of things that didn't actually pan out...or at best he just puts misdirection out there.

17. billcosby

Yeah, I think he did at first, but there's this from a podcast: "Daniel may be named after (or a reference to) Daniel Graystone, one of the original designers of the 12 Colonies' Cylon Centurions (Caprica (series)). In his podcast for No Exit, Moore mentions a connection between Daniel and the Caprica series."
    source:
    http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Number_Seven

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I thought in the No Exit podcast Ron Moore said something criptic like "Daniel will be integral to Caprica" or something like that.

As I recall, the only thing he debunked about the Daniel Cylon were the theories going around the internet that he was Starbuck's father.

19. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

Looks good, anyone know when it's out in the UK?

20. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The caprica pilot is now available on Hulu.