A Hater Revisits nuWho

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Oof, did he? I wasn't paying enough attention then. That's embarrassing.
    Yeah, please do. They're very good. :biggrin:

2. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I think that was where I noticed that they were pulling the sonic out a bit too much, for a few too many things. I defo, wouldn't say no to the doctor loosing it for a few seasons. Thankfully they do seem to have got rid of the pyschic paper. One of my fav, moments was in the otherwise dire farting aliens two parter, where Eccelston took charge of the troops by simply shouting and acting like he knew what he was doing rather than pulling any psychic paper out on them.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Tennant does something similar in The Idiots Lantern as I recall. I like that, like him just assuming control without need to explain that he's the Pope or whatever!

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Though later in The Idiot's Lantern, he flashes the psychic paper at the guard at the television tower, which reports that he is the King of Belgium. Which is probably my favorite psychic paper gag.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Ha ha, that was quite funny actually.

I actually like the phychic paper and I don't mind the sonic screwdriver, I just think it's used too often for really mundane things.

6. Bones2

^
    I don't mind as much when it's used for mundane things. If a door needs opening, I suppose that's fair enough (though as Bidmead said, "if getting through the door is boring, let's not have it"). It's whenever it does whatever stupid thing the plot requires with the press of its only button that it gets on my tits. It's a device for lazy writers.

7. Stevil2001

The problem with Bidmead's statement is that sometimes getting through the door is boring... but there still needs to be a door, unless you think most villains don't lock people out/precious objects up.

8. Kibbin

I think it was RTD who said that the screwdriver was there to get him through doors, because you didn't want a door to stop him, it just couldn't fix the plot and save the world.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The toruble is you then have to invent the ludicrous deadlock seal(tm) to stop him if needs be ;)

I have less problem with opening doors then locking them, sometimes the key in the door is just easier!

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The first time I saw "Genesis of the Daleks," I genuinely remembered the Doctor saying the door to their cell on Skarro had a Deadlock Seal when he couldn't crack it with the screwdriver. On a rewatch, I realized it was the much more prosaic, "Not even the sonic screwdriver can get through this door."

11. Bones2

If getting through the door is boring, let's not have it.

Teehee, that one interview is a mine of hilarious quotes.

"You don't need stuff that you don't need."

12. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Actually, the line was "Not even the sonic screwdriver can get me out of this one."

13. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't that Invasion of Time?

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The line is from The Invasion Of Time but the screewdriver couldn't open the door in Genesis either.

15. Stevil2001

The other one I remember is from The Keeper of Traken where it doesn't work on a seemingly ordinary jail cell, and the Doctor comments, "New technology dates so quickly these days."

16. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no trouble at all with the doctor using the screwdriver to open doors, or indeed screw/unscrew screws.

It's when he starts using it to do all sorts of magical shit that things get a bit silly. There was a bit of this in the old series. There are great whopping boatloads of it in the new one - though things seemed to have calmed down a bit since the Tennant era.

17. Kibbin

Though as has been pointed out before, Moffat was a big culprit for that, mending barbed wire etc etc.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I dunno, the SS is more obviously a tricorder stu;e device now, plus after he used it to disable all those silurian guns surely he can do that whoever he's up against now?

19. Bones2

I seem to recall that it wouldn't do the lock on an old wood door in City of Death (though I could be wrong). That rule changed for Tooth and Claw.
    Surely a tricorder was merely used for scanning things.

Also, bloody Chibnall :borg:

20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Changed back for "Silence in the Library" and "Vampires In Venice" where it couldn't break through large wood bolts.