7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

I believe Matt Smith is always breaking the Tardis.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Huh?

The Asteroid planets and the title of the episode are The Rings of Akhaten. The Big Bad planet in the Episode is called Akhenaten

No admonishment meant

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Average for me, though the prologue and the finale were both excellent, even though her having to give away the leaf was so obviously telegraphed it still gave me a lump in my throat at the end. It's just a shame everything in between was, well ok, but nothing great.

Surprised no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) the Blade Runner homages? "I've seen things you wouldn't believe" which I would have let pass if they hadn't followed it up with "Home again home again jiggedy jig."

Is Clara a replicant? :p

I wish I liked Clara more. So far I liked Victorian Clara slightly less than Alaska Clara, and I like modern day Clara slightly less than Victorian Clara. At the moment she's behind Donna, Amy and Rory, and possibly behind 1st series Rose for me, still ahead of all other Roses and Martha at least :)

So given the Doctor told Clara "We don't walk away" and her mum told her "I'll always be there when you need me" anyone else thinking that when Clara leaves/dies, she somehow keeps returning through sheer force of will to come and help the Doctor? So Alaska and Victorian Clara's were both effectively future echos of this Clara.

So, to sum up, some very good bits sandwiched between some meh bits. I really did expect something meatier from the man who gave us Luther?

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OSwald for the WIN!

5. Psion

Psion Commodore Commodore

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well just watched the episode and Dr who does what it says on the tin, entertains for the 50 mins it's on, and this time it even did something diffrent, not bad for a show that's been going 50 years.

On the issue some had with the audio i can only say that from my point it was crystal clear on HD freeview, although i do remember some episodes from past Smith seasons were i was straining at times to catch what people were saying, seemed like they were mumbling their lines here and there.

My only other minor grips are with the theme tune and intro, i personally dont think the theme tune is meaty sounding enough, if that makes sense, and the intro from the face to the retro Who tunnel effect are great, but i find the beginning a bit meh.

But only minor minor grips, i wont be burning my Who DVD collection just yet. lol

And the tardis being locked to her, could the tardis now something about her we dont???

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that one was causing me to wonder.

It was a bit unclear what was happening to the Doctor when the alien was feeding and what was going to happen. I wish that were a bit clearer. Aside from that, it had a very cool atmosphere, which I give credit for. I gave it a "good."

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Three Doctors or Castrovalva.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

or The Mind Robber.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the plus side, I think this may be the only time he's mentioned his granddaughter since she left (or in The Five Doctors).

I squee'ed.

11. The Grinch Doctor

The Grinch Doctor Two Hearts Too Small Premium Member

...I feel ashamed that missed these quotes considering Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time. When were they spoken?

I can think of worse explanations. :lol:

Yeah, I expected the same. Hopefully his second episode better.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure about granddaughter specifically, but he's mentioned being a father before.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    I really liked that comment. It was a nice homage to the first Doctor without being in your face about it. Hardcore Whovians like us will hear it and smile, or in my case grin :D

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I didn't know that last one, if he had mentioned Tannhauser Gate or the shoulder of Orion I'd have gotten it.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's what Sebastian's replicant toy/friend/pets say to him when he comes home with Pris.

16. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

I loved the episode right up until the plot started.

17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not me. I never liked the Ponds from the start. I could cope with them in series 5 and I thought "ok they'll be gone soon, we'll have a fun companion again soon". Then with series 6 I was like "ok come on, I'm fcuking fed up with you now, leave!", then by their last season I was like "thank god they're leaving, I'm so fed up with them now! I hate them all!". When they left I felt so relieved. But other than them, I think I like all the revival companions. Martha, Donna, Cpt Jack, and Rose (although I didn't like her with Tennant much, she was better with Eccleston).
    Yeah, I've gotten fed up with all these companions being "chosen ones". What I'd like instead is to just have the doctor turn up on this random space station or something, have an adventure, make friends with a girl (or boy), and then take her off as her new companion, Zoe from the Throughton era reminds me of how is should be done. Or Tegan from the Davison (and Baker) era.

I quite liked it when Donna for some reason was special because of this doctor Donna thing, but having a "chosen one" as a companion never happened before to my knowledge, might have had a few of those before mind you. Not in the revival series though.

18. kurdaitcha

kurdaitcha Cadet Newbie

Just me, or did we hear the TARDIS cloister bell toll twice at the end of the episode? The first time when they land back on Earth, and the second when the Dr. sees Clara to the door? Also, why the leaf change from Maple to whichever? (not recognized)

19. A Shiny Kaylee Christmas

A Shiny Kaylee Christmas Have An Awesome Possum Holiday! Moderator

I didn't have any problems with it either. The music is loud, but I don't have any issues hearing what is being said. I've never have had this issue with Doctor Who.

He hasn't given her (at least this version of her) a key yet and he always locks it. It could lead to something, but that was my take away from it.

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, yeah, that's my point. It like the Rings of Saturn. Saturn is the planet and so it Akhaten.

Mr Awe