7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Captain Captain

Admittedly I suppose 'potential' would have been a more fitting word. However what I saw in her first episode was an independant, smart medical student who was very much in control of her life and feelings. Who then got turned, throughout the run, into the exact character you just described.

I seem to remember RTD mentioning during one of the podcasts, that were released after the episodes aired, that Phil Collinson wasn't a fan of what he did to Martha, mostly the 'unrequited love' angle, that became the whole focus of her relationship with the Doctor.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was pretty clear from the start that Martha had the hots for him, so I never saw any inconsistency there. And while I agree it would have been better if they had never gone there in the first place, I thought Freema herself still had more than enough personality and charm to make up for it.

It was only later, when they tried to make her some kind of badass UNIT agent, that I thought the character felt really off.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I find that puzzling. Surely unrequited love is a theme we can all sympathize with to some extant? What's the problem with that?

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Yeah I didn't care for her joining UNIT at all. I would have rather she just turned out to be a highly skilled Doctor who'm The Doctor turns to occasionally for help after she left.

5. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Writer Rear Admiral

I liked the episode for the most part (the early bits with Clara & Merry, the Doctor visiting points in Clara's past, the Hellboy II-esque alien bazaar, the visuals), but my mind started to wander with the god planet stuff, the operatic weirdness, and the Doctor's shouty storytelling to the planet. It'll definitely require a rewatch.

Oh, and in response to whoever mentioned Clara resembling Amy in the episode poster art, I thought that too the first time I saw it. I guess it's the orangey tinge the artist decided to give her hair.

6. Count Zero

Count Zero Watching Moderator

I thought "The Three Doctors" but there are probably a couple of stories that fit the description.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Good. Like last week, one notch below the top grade. Definitely entertaining and interesting. The realization of the far out setting was fantastic. Top notch for creativity. However, the resolution was weak, very weak. I suppose it was trying to build the mystery surrounding Clara, but't it's got to stand on it's own. It fell short there.

So, was the reference to Susan (unless he has other Grandaughters), a throwaway line or is it of importance? Where did the Doctor vanish to? Was he off on another adventure? If we were supposed to gather some mysteriouness from the Doctor's visits to Amy's past, I missed it other than just seeing the importance of the leaf.

Mr Awe

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT.

Somebody needs to save the show from the fans. I still love Rose. And the Ponds. And Martha. And Donna.

"Eww, what is this icky lurve crap?!?!" :scream:

9. Mr Awe

That's an excellent way to put it and a HUGE part of the problem. The fact that the actual resolution was poor made it even worse.

Mr Awe

10. Mr Awe

And, the planet would be Akhenaten, as named in the title. So, the title is finally relevant to the story and people miss it! :p

Mr Awe

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

He was off doing the things seen in the start of the episode.
    The visiting of her past.

13. Mr Awe

That's one possibility. Or, he might've done that after the last episode and before he picked her up in this one. If the Doctor was doing that while on the rings, how was the TARDIS still there for Clara and the Queen to hide behind?

Mr Awe

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, hot chick who fancies the Doctor then.

15. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Yeah, I guess the TARDIS still being there kills that theory

16. Timofnine

Timofnine Vice Admiral Moderator

I used to have this problem, but I checked my speaker/sound system setup and it wasn't right - The music used to drown out the dialogue, but I turned them down or something. I'm not overly technical so can't explain any better then that sorry lol :p

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Except that's not the title. The Title is The Rings of Akhaten

I enjoyed it, I thought the Currency was a great idea, The Doctor's curiosity and checking out Clara's past, the Leaf overloading the Hungry Beast with the infinite possibilities of Futures Unrealized. The Goofy stuff (Ahkenaten's Face, the Space flying sled), was of course, throwing a bone to the kids, so, I don't hold that against them. Seems there's often complaints about the sappy sentimental endings, such as TD,TW,aTW or this one, which is strange since it's a Kids or Family show, that kinda of ending should be expected far more often then the Fandom is asked to endured

Oswin is not part of this Clara's name, I wonder if Dalek Clara might not be the remains of the Digital Clara from The Bells of St John, rather then the end of "Clara Prime's Life". OS Win could be Operating System Windows.

Also, I wonder if the mysterious lady who gave Clara the number could be Ms. Kinzlet acting under the Great Intelligence's orders, to lure the Doctor into the scheme, and that he'll be doing so all Series long, and is responsible for The Doctor running into Clara over and over again and that she will be a trap for him in the end (At the Fields of Tuzanore)?

On BBCA, the sound was definitely an issue. The opening theme was barely audible, and then the music overwhelmed the dialogue. Don't know if it was BBCA's transmission that had an issue, or the Source files they got from BBC, but, definitely the sound wasn't properly balanced

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not a bad episode, overall pretty average. I like the concept, but it felt like they didn't go with it. Matt Smith was great, especially in the final confrontation. As for Clara, I liked the character better in "Bells of St. John" than I did here. And I hope that dropping her back home at the end isn't going to be a regular thing.

Okay, is it me, or did it look like part of the console shifted/broke at the start. Right after Clara says "Something awesome" and the Doctor is running around the console, as it pulls back to an overhead shot it looks like a segment of the console shifts out of place.

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't even know what to say there. Is that supposed to be some sort of admonishment for mistyping the planet's name or something?

Or, much more likely, as emphasized heavily in this episode, all the different variations of Clara are the "what if" versions courtesy of the leaf, with the super-hacker-infused digital Clara being one of those what ifs.

Not only were all of her potential selves realized as psychic creations by an immensely powerful being, they were intermingled with all of the Doctor's memories at the same time. That's not a coincidence.

20. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Put me in the camp with those who preferred the first two versions of Coleman's character to this one, but I'm willing to give her a shot.

:wtf: