7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Psion

Psion Commodore Commodore

I was originally leaning towards labeling it a super-jovian, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it wasn't a star or planet at all, but some kind of space entity that the locals mistook for a planet.

Hmmm ...

Forgive me for going wibbly-wobbly on everyone here, but might we have just witnessed the birth of the Great Intelligence? The Doctor poured all his memories into it, but it wanted more. So Clara gave it all the things that could have been, but weren't, and then it ... what? Vanished? Died? Went somewhere else? Somewhen else?

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone watching expect the doctor to say something like

Clara- What just happened?

The Doctor- I sang a song and the daleks went away :D

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

It's fun as always but makes no mention to its allegoric storytelling.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's exactly right. But the rings are around one of the seven planets, which may happen to be a brown dwarf.

Doctor Who isn't as pedantic with the technobabble as Star Trek. They didn't spend 5 minutes explaining the layout of the system while showing it on a viewscreen and encouraging input :guffaw:

5. Saul

Saul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The way Clara talks to that little girl is almost like how the Doctor talks to little kids in need.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Just finished watchin' it, and gotta say, that was a bad episode.

A "scooter" that can cross from one asteroid to another in the vacuum of space...really?

And when the "grandfather" is full from the possibilities that the leaf represents, it imploded? Or something? So..what happens to a star system when their star is gone? Seven planets, all with intelligent life, are about to get a very long, very cold winter...

I agree that the aliens looked cheap, all rubber masks & such.

And the bazaar felt too small, as did the temple.

Hopefully next week's episode will be better, since a submarine should feel claustrophobic.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think the aliens looked cheap. In fact I can't remember ever seeing so many different, fully realized alien species in a television series.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously, though, are they gonna jump on a bike every single episode?

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Watched again, it felt like the time that passed was.. five minutes, five fucking minutes Denny.

Okay.

I think it's because it's made of just a few very long scenes, so if you get caught up in the story, you won't notice how long they run, only that it was only a few scenes long, but if you don't get caught up in the story, you feel the length.

I found no plot errors this time around, but see everything connected, well-rounded. It's just a very heartfelt story of a civilization finding out about their potential, they have already nearly realized. The leaf, as an embodiment of concentrated negativity, is the final tic with all the positivity it can create, when channeled correctly. I like to think there weren't nights before with the planet, plus sun, but now there are. The planet just let them take the easy way out with its endless light. Or less symbolically, cure-all religion.

I found the Doctor's speech more of a lament about the sunny planet having taken an arrogant position, that it should not only take, but give like everyone else, and the even cooler, more experienced Doctor does. Arrogance led the planet think it can handle anything, and information overload ensued. A good thing to bring up, in a story cherishing experiences and stories.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. Samurai8472

11. Redfern

Redfern Commodore Commodore

Who else thought the Doctor might have stumbled away from his encounter with the celestial body partially amnesiac? When the Doctor hints about the terrible secrets he knows, he then challenges the entity to "take them all". I wondered if the being might have interpreted the Doctor's words a bit too literally and not simply "listened" but "drained" those memories. We could have ended up with a Doctor almost as clueless about his past as we, the audience" have been these nearly 50 years.

Obviously, a different path was taken, but I honsetly wondered for a few moments.

Oh, one more thing. Obviously, the "mummy" was not a Draconian as some fans had speculated upon seeing that brief glimpse in the highlight trailer.

Sincerely,

Bill

12. Samurai8472

^

It would have made for an interesting way for a regeneration process to start.

Doctor- TAKE IT ALL!

*Parasite takes his life energy too*

Doctor- Wait! What are you doing?!

We end up with a new doctor with missing memories since the parasite stole them. Cue the regeneration crazy's

13. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

i was really expecting that outcome actually...they've been building up the "silence will fall when the question is asked" thing over the last series. if the doctor doesn't know the answer to the question then silence would most certainly fall :)

14. Emh

Emh The Doctor Premium Member

Ah, okay, I think remember that now. I guess I didn't notice because Matt Smith says it with a completely different inflection from Rutger Hauer. Plus, Smith said the whole speech pretty damn quick.

Yup, I definitely thought that was going to happen and I was ready to be all pissed off. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow another avg episode, verging on below avg. Started off ok, I liked the alien "gathering place", but it fell apart from there on. WHY are there so many aliens into this silly religion? How many of the 7 planets were inhabited? WHY would aliens from outside the system be interested in the silly religion? WHY could they all breathe in outer space (did I miss that?)? WHY would singing have anything to do with alien sun soul stealers? I think that probably scratches the surface issues. Some of the FX were breathtaking, some were barely better than the original Who.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wold have been a terrible episode for Smith to come out in.

Would have been the worst regeneration episode ever.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

The Singing would be transferring the Soul/Memory/Currency stuff. Passion, emotion, etc makes up your soul or the currency version of it, I guess.

I thought someone said in an interview or writeup there was an atmosphere in the rings, it struck me immediately when Clara and the Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS, but, they were consistent with it, so, I figured we're supposed to assume it's dealt with :shrug:

If the Aliens at the bazaar are locals, perhaps it's merely a local thing in that part of the Galaxy

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Maybe but initially I figured that was the TARDIS doing it's thing a la Amy and Brian hanging outside in space.

19. Shawnster

Shawnster Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I missed the Susan reference. What was it and when in the episode?

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Oh, yea, that was my initial rationalization, until it was consistent throughout the episode that there was no "Non-Oxygenated Space" around, apparently