3D Software?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JoshC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Magic04

Magic04 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I admire everyone's work here so much that I thought I'd give it a shot myself, so I downloaded Blender over the weekend. Is a three-button mouse really necessary? I only have a two button wheel mouse.

2. Four Mad Men

Four Mad Men Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The wheel is (at least on mine) also a button (the third one of which I spoke). There are keyboard equivalents to the middle mouse button (or wheel) but that can get cumbersome. Also the wheel helps when zooming and changing the scope of things like proportional editing.

3. Magic04

Magic04 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Four Mad Men. I did, unfortunately, find that out when messing around with the program. Currently, I'm trying to make the gingerbread man that is described in the tutorial. Right now after discovering how to use the wheel button and moving the object around in 3 dimensions, I've totally messed up the "plane" that the object is in and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back to normal. At the moment, the background grid is slicing the gingerbread man in half through his stomach.
    Any thoughts on how to restore the background grid and correct orientation of the object?
    Thanks again.

4. Four Mad Men

The numeric keypad comes in handy here.
    5 - Switches between orthos and perspective mode.
    1,3,7 - Select top, side, front
    CTRL + 1,3,5 - Select bottom, (other)side, rear.
    0 - Shows the camera view

If you switch to the scripts window one of the menu options will pull up a hotkey list (in version 2.34). I personally like to split the workspace into four areas:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><span>
    . . 2 .
    . 1 .....
    . . 3 .
    . 4 .
    </span><hr />

Area 1 - Main 3D window
    Area 2 - As needed (Secondary 3D, Scripts, etc.)
    Area 3 - Camera View
    Area 4 - Buttons

And don't forget that even the non-3D areas can be moved and scaled as desired.

5. Four Mad Men

Here's some new for the growing list of Blender users here. Since the day that The Blender Foundation raised enough money to opensource Blender people have have wanted the edit tools updated. It was decided that the UI needed updating and some of the core needed to be refactored inorder to make code maintenance and extension easier to manage. Well that's been finished for awhile now and in addition to the constant enhancements in all other areas of Blender we are now seeing the first steps of the edit refactoring.

The testbuilds area of www.blender.org today saw a build with the first of these enhancements. Namely true edge selection (the old edge selection still selected at the vertex level and selecting say three edges of a polygon was not possible in a true sence because it ended up select the whole face), edit mode face selection (face selection was there but was a UV mapping tool and quite useless for editing), and Ngons (although the coders are calling them Fgons).

This sets the stage for alot of new features that hopefully will be ready for the late October (official) release.

The new booleans may or may not make it for October but the Python script is out there. Not the fastest thing in the world but when it get's ported to C and incorporated into Blender's edit tools that will change.

So be on the lookout for the new edit tools as well as soft body support, and a much needed reworking of how the animation system works. Some of these I'm sure are longer range but the new edit stuff should now continue coming fast and furious.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure I understand even a quarter of that, and I studied the beginnings of this stuff in my Animation school's computer lab.

Still, I think I'm going to fiddle with Blender for fun for a while myself...

7. Kieran

Kieran Commodore Commodore

What a great thread this is. I'm gonna try blender, at least for now.

Thanks for all the info.

8. V\'ger

V\'ger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anybody know of any free programs that can render .3ds and are easy to use? I seem to have misplaced my Asymetrix 3d/fx 2.0 program--looking for something similar.

9. Etched

Etched Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to ask what is probably a really dumb question. I have Blender and I want to be able to export objects from Blender to other programs, preferably in obj or 3ds format.

How do I do this ?

I know this has something to do with Python scripts, but I'm something of a techno dyslexic so please explain it in very simple terms using very small words.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

10. Four Mad Men

Select the object you wish to export then using the menu select File -> Export. The sub menu at this point will show all the export types that Blender supports.

11. Etched

^ I know that much. I have no problem importing/exporting files between other 3d software. The problem I'm having with Blender is that none of the options for exporting are working.

If I try to save using the VRML, DXF, Videoscape or STL formats which it is supposed to support it just says it cannot save in that format, and all the other file formats need python scripts.:confused:

So, I'm stuck with a model I want to export into Bryce, but I am unable to do so. :(

12. Four Mad Men

That's odd because the export for VRML, DXF, Videoscape, and STL are native to Blender (and as you say, the rest use Python scripts). I infact used the DXF export today and it worked fine. So the only thing I can guess is some sort of hardware and/or software issue. I suppose you might try a re-install or testing with a very low poly mesh to see if you can get that exported.

13. Etched

I know, but everytime I try to use them I get an error message, I've come to the conclusion that there is some kind of glitch in the software. I guess I'll have to re-install it.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't know if there are any Mac users here. But if so is anyone familiar with Cinama 4D and/or Pixels3D programs? I, too, am looking into trying my hand at 3d modeling.

Presently Blender and Lightwave seem to be the alternatives otherwise for me.

15. path_rw

path_rw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm just tacking my question onto here. How are you putting your models into space? Are you doing that in the 3D modelling program or are you exporting it into another format and editing it in a photo editing program?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

You can do it either way. I personally prefer to render the ships over the background in the 3D program and then touch it up in a photo editing program if needed.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

My program of choice is 3ds max. This is mainly because this is the program I learned on and the only one that I have taken classes on. It's really good for making objects to add to games because most of the game developers use 3ds max and will release their plugins to the modding community. I have been using it recently to create ships for Starfleet Command III. It is a an industry standard program with enormous capabilities. I would consider it to be the second best overall 3D graphics program with Maya being the best.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

maya maya maya! lightwave is alright i suppose. im rather... not as tech savvy as id like and i get by with maya...i even used bryce 3d to make my very first enterprise

19. Ares.

Ares. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^I was about to say that!

20. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I started with Truespace 3.2 free .. which was good enough for a neebee (like me) and like it enough to want to try getting a package simuler and more powerfull. a number of friends use Lightwave .. well I got it and I am still getting the hang of it :) :) I have yet to build anything myself as much as I have tried :scream:

I would also like to say hello to Axemman and FourMadMen I have down load your meshes and thank you for sharing them ..
    Surak and the TypeF shuttel craft respectively ..
    FourMadMen your shuttle are in my first thread in the art section. there are no close ups but their in there..

At the moment I am using Axeman'S Surak Shuttle recreating the scene in STAR TREK TMP, as it approches the Enterprise bridge airlock with Spock :) :) I will post it when completed