2nd Annual Valentine's Day Extravaganza!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    An ex-girlfriend once won over me with nothing more than a bag of heart-shaped SweetTarts. I love those things and have ever since childhood.

I've never been much of a recipient or giver of those often blecch chocolate hearts (a lot of them use imitation chocolate with very dubious fillings) and the price of real chocolate has only gone up in the last few years (have you noticed how those old ten-packs of Reese's Cups, Kit Kats and other chocolate bars have been reduced to just six per pack while the price has stayed the same or even risen?) to the consternation of a few people I know.

Flowers and cards are one thing and they're great. Thirty bucks worth of sketchy chocolates that may or may not be industrial waste from China coated in imitation chocolate is another.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ At least they're not crunchy frog.

3. cooleddie74

I knew the Python reference was coming. :)

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Also don't forget to send me any messages for Kestra by the deadline. :techman:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

You shouldn't feel like that, teacake. Nobody's perfect. You can't be expected to send things to everyone in the world...and conversely, if people don't get a shout-out from you, they shouldn't take it personally, because you can only do so much sending and talking and all that.

If you take the time to worry that you might be neglecting people, then by definition, you're not actually being neglectful. Because if you really were guilty of neglect, you wouldn't care. You clearly do care.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh no would take anything personally as I would only ever send things anon.

When I was in high school we had one of those send a flower deals, same color code as this one. Real flowers you had to buy, carnations. So I sent a white one anon to this boy who was a couple grades younger than me just because I thought he seemed like a very nice person and wow did it make his day. He was walking around with that flower all day exclaiming about who it could be and beaming (it was a very small school).

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the link, MacLeod :)
    I was under the impression that you send cards and flowers only to the person you love? Do you send them to friends and people you just like, too?

This site might be interesting for some of you: it's the good old Victorian Flower Code: http://www.languageofflowers.com/flowermeaning.htm

8. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I need to get my list done soon.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

You can send Valentines to anyone. It's usually reserved for romantic gestures but you can also send them to friends, relatives, etc. Although, usually only women send non-romantic ones to friends, mothers to children, etc. I think, in the US, if a male friend sent another male friend a Valentine card, as a friend, (and not in a joking manner), that friend would be weirded out.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's very low key here. Children don't do cards, nothing in schools. Very few specialty chocolates for the day, flowers would be far bigger a thing. Lots of jewellery ads, that's about it. If you blinked you'd miss it.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Me too.

Procrastinators unite!

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I'll unite later.

13. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Maybe later.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Reminds me of the time that the psychics' convention was cancelled...

...due to unforeseen circumstances. :rofl:

15. cooleddie74

We now pause for a commercial for Now and Later candy.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I already know how many valentine related things, I'll be getting, Zip, Zilch, Zero Nil, Nothing etc.. But then again I am young(ish), free and single.

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Eh, don't let it get to you. Last time I got an actual IRL valentines card thing I was 14. And the girl ended up bullying me. So that went well :lol:

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Nah it doesn't really bother me too much, and I do like the single life, do what I want when I want. But that still doesn't mean there aren't times when you would like their to be that someone special in your life. But who knows what tomorrow will bring,

19. cooleddie74

I'm single at the moment and I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one or two moments on Valentine's Day when I feel lonely (I also miss deceased members of my family so that doesn't help), but there are advantages and even blessings to being single.

Besides, nobody should ever be in a relationship if they're not ready for one. Doing it out of peer pressure or just to feel like a part of the "couples' crowd" aren't good excuses. If you don't forge a relationship when you're actually prepared and under your own steam then it won't work out to begin with and you not only wasted time but probably hurt somebody else in the process.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Valentine's day is probably one of the harder days for single people (who want to be in a relationship). In general as a single person there are only a handful of times a year where I feel lonely or feel it more strongly, my birthday, new years day and Valentines day to a certain extend. Like I said before it's not that I don't mind being single but one can't need easily swirch emotions on and off. It's best not to dwell too much on what you don't have but rather what you have.