2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just because a couple of our resident Yankees fans had a moral crisis last year when Buchholz had some sun tan lotion on his arm (at night, so clearly for grip vice UV protection), feel like gotta bring this up so we can see how they feel about it:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...eda_pinetargate_something_to_investigate.html

Check out the picture and video here, anyone believe Pineda's claim that it's just dirt? Or pine tar, as has been suggested? Mysteriously vanished after the 4th inning or so.

Red Sox didn't say anything, likely because like they said last time, the bullfrog thing is done a lot, so tough to call someone out for stuff you're also doing, and they aren't blaming the loss on it or anything. But with the amount of 'outrage' over Buchholz last year, wanted to see what you guys thought of this one... ;)

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

:lol::lol: .. and it's not even his frellin wrist!!

3. Yanks

I saw that. Looked like pine tar to me.

I believe the Blue Jays made the stink of it last year.

If I was the Red Sox and saw it during the game, I think I would have said something.

Break...

Another good pitching perfromance by Pineda. Lookin pretty strong out of the gate.

We'll see how CC does tonight. It's going to take awhile to reinvent himself I think.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Madison Bumgarner hit a grand slam last night.

Pitcher dingers own. Pitcher grand slams own more than almost anything else in baseball (especially when said pitcher goes like 15 rows deep to left-center at fucking AT&T).

6. Yanks

Better effort by CC last night. ... but still some work to do.

7. Timby

CC's effectiveness throughout his career appears to be inversely proportional to his weight.

8. Yanks

:D

9. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's with all the rookie umpires this year? It's like a mass hatching from the Kamino cloning machines or something. Seems like there's only one veteran ump in a game nowadays...

11. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I'm going to have to go look this up. Spent so much of yesterday out dealing with a car issue that I had to skip the games and Sportscenter as well. Looks like I picked a bad day to do that.

12. Timby

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Justin Upton is having his usual MVP April. Maybe he can try and give us a whole season of this for a change. That being said Freddie Freeman is off to a great start on earning his mega contract while Aaron Harang is turning out to be a great placeholder while we wait for Minor and Floyd. I'm a little curious as to why the Braves acquired Ryan Doumit. That leaves the Braves carrying three catchers and only one reserve outfielder (Jordan Schafer).

It also helps when the Nationals somehow turn into the Bad News Bears when they play Atlanta.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aaaaaaand...Cervelli is hurt.

<Gilbert Gottfried>
    Son...of...a...BITCH!
    </Gilbert Gottfried>

15. Timby

Solarte playing hurt, Cervelli hurt, Jeter already sitting, Roberts hurt, Teixeira on the DL.

It's like Christmas in April. [​IMG]

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but consider the posts reposted where everyone pointed out that old, injured players were likely to get injured, and Yanks vehemently denied it and said they'd all be fine and back to career numbers. :p

And you forgot McCann, who just got xrays on his hand. And Robertson on the DL. On the plus side, Roberts has already been upright longer than expected. Batting .129 with no power, but upright.

Edit: of course, when I googled to check his numbers, first result was that he was getting an MRI for a sore back, so... :lol:

17. Yanks

Yanks dnied any reason that Tex shouldn't have a healthy season. Yanks also said that Ells' injuries were more fluck and habitual.

Cervelli is old?

Moore is now getting TJ surgury... it's not just "the old" that get banged up. Every team deals with it every year, but any time the Yankees get a zit it will be all over the news.

It was interesting seeing Beltran play 1st base though... even funnyier hearing him talk about it.

18. Yanks

Hey, the Yankees didn't lose or get hurt last night :D

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Tex was talking about his sore (repaired) wrist before things even started, how it'd never be back to normal, etc. Not a great omen, even though it's his hammy that went first.

Ellsbury, we'll see. Really always been impact injuries vs. soft tissue, so can't really blame him. It's more the crazy contract for a guy with out outlier year rather than an injury risk. Definitely doesn't fight through them when they DO happen, though. For 15M/year, would have been happy enough with him, at 22M and for 7 years, tough to swallow. Feels like the 20M+ contracts should be for the real 5-tool guys that can hit 20+ HRs in addition to the rest, otherwise it's a Crawford contract, and that didn't pan out well for the Sox (and now the Dodgers).

Roberts was completely expected, anyone that saw 2005 Brian Roberts playing for the Yankees was on crack. Old, hurt, and hadn't played a full season since like 2009.

And yeah, it's not JUST age, injuries happen whenever. It's just that old players don't bounce back, heal slower, and get hurt more.

Biggest knock is that there is ZERO depth on that team. With the very first injury, your newly signed RF (for 15M/year) is playing out of position at 1B. Never even heard of the guys manning SS, and we knew 3B was a black hole before we started, right?

Aside from the pen, pitching has been ok so far, CC's a big question mark still, though.

Tough to just hand-wave past this, as a certain amount HAD to be expected, and there's just NO ONE on the bench or in the minors to plug the holes. So when the expected happens, it's a tough spot.

So, we were yankees haters for pointing it out in the offseason, and by tax day, we're already proven right. And we haven't even gotten into the 'real' injuries yet, still dipping a toe in the 'sore back', 'tight hammy', and 'need a breather' days... ;)

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

From 2009-2012 I had to hear about how the Phillies fans were the best in the world and heard constant mocking about how Braves fans couldn't fill a stadium. It was nice to see a half empty stadium in Philly when Uggla hit his game winning grand slam. Fair weather fans get on my nerves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.