2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, too bad he's never thrown a pitch like that for the Jays ever. And as we've seen, when he can't pitch like that, he is brutal.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

His velocity has returned somewhat. He was touching 92 and 93 at times but he was getting a ton of flyball outs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well, the Cubs lost in 16 innings, the day after they lost in 10 innings.

Emilio Bonafacio went 9 of 12 in those 2 games, but the rest of the team isn't doing much else so far.

Villanueva took both losses. I thought he was going to start?

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This isn't surprising, but it is good to see it backed up by numbers: Statistical bias among Umpires calling balls and strikes

Essentially, the chance of a ball being called a strike when there are three balls or a strike being called a ball when there are two strikes is very high - to the point where the outcome of at least one at-bat per game is affected by it.

Balls and strikes seem to be the last thing that will be affected by instant replay. There's a good argument that it should have been the first thing. Unless we think that baseball is better for this "benefit of the doubt" being incorporated into it (making it more exciting and fluid rather than mechanical).

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Anyone who trumpets wrong calls as a necessary and proper part of the sport that nothing should be done to curtail is weird.

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

What can be done? I feel like the instant replay this year is already dragging things out a bit.

And of course the Twins are doing that thing the Twins do. Yeah, it's only two games in, but we're pretty much seeing how it's going to be. I mean really? Perkins can't even make a two-run save? Bah.

7. Timby

But ensuring calls are going to be accurate is going to be done ... how? Because if "no review, umpires are just magically better at their jobs" were an option on the table, MLB probably would've jumped on that. And I guarantee you an umpire fucking up a force out call in a playoff game or a division game late in the season is going to impact [Insert Favorite Team Here] more than having to do the Sonic the Hedgehog toe-tap through a minute and a half of broadcaster fluff.

I also think fans are going to be a lot less prissy about how much of their *experience* that instant replay is ruining once the first few months are over and people have stopped timing every replay break with a stopwatch.

8. Alidar Jarok

Sure. I agree. But it's the only argument I could think of for not reviewing it

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

The replay doesn't bug me that much. There was one that lasted at least five minutes in a game I was listening to, and it was like, "C'mon already!" It shouldn't take that long. And then the opposing manager argued with the umpires when the call was overturned. But there are limitations to the amount of replays that can be done at least.

When it comes down to individual pitches, you're looking at 5x the amount of things that can be questioned. There would have to be more severe limits to keep the game going, and not have a five minute break every time a pitch is questioned. So again, I ask, how do you feasibly make this happen without hanging up the game?

I think if you wanted ultimate accuracy, the home plate umpire wouldn't even call the balls and strikes anymore.

10. Timby

I'm not opposed to this.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The replays I've seen this year have been quick and efficient. The umps on the field grab those headsets out of the bag and are told they royally fucked things up, then they get back to work.

12. Alidar Jarok

I'd also imagine ball and strike replays would be very close to Tennis replays as far as speed goes.

In addition, even if teams got only one challenge, I imagine it would increase the accuracy of calls because there's no point in giving the benefit of the doubt in any play because you could be reversed at any time.

13. Timby

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of off day stacking I think they are going to go 4-man the first go 'round. (particularly now with back to back extras)

Cubs now undefeated in regulation-length games.

15. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, as Rangers fans are wont to do, I may have overreacted as a result of ONE LOUSY GAME. Fill in starter #2 did ok last night and the boys did come back twice in the latter stages. On the other hand, it was the fightin' whatevers they were playing, so I'm not sure how much stock I'll put in anything other than the nice shutdown the relievers managed in the wins.:shrug:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stay classy, Matt Adams. :rolleyes:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2QJH0XKRlE[/yt]

17. Use of Time

Justin Upton took full advantage of the replay process this afternoon in D.C. Threw his hands up on a ball that was just sitting under the fence while Desmond circles the bases for an inside the parker. Umpires reviewed and put Desmond back on second. It was under the fence but he could have easily gotten to it.

18. Timby

Taking a glance at the rulebook, Rule 7.05(f) states:

Whether or not he could see it or get to it is irrelevant. It lodged itself under the padding, which is a ground rule double.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't it Jose Cardenal that tried stuffing the ball into the Wrigley vines?

20. Use of Time

I know this. The call on the field was an inside the park homerun. The replay put Desmond back on second. Upton utilized some gamesmanship by throwing up his hands instead of grabbing the ball. Desmond would have at least had a triple if he hadn't done that. Heads up play. His argument solicited a replay which caused the umpires to get the call right. Nationals broadcasters were bitching about it but it was the right call.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.