2010-11 pilot pickups

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good GAWD! It's pretty bad this year. :rommie:

Look at this stunningly original lineup!

Cop/detective shows: Breakout Kings, True Blue, The Killing, The Odds, Hawaii Five-0, Ridealong, 187 Detroit, NCIS: Los Angeles

Doctor shows: Off the Map, Body of Evidence

Spy shows: Undercovers, Covert Affairs

Lawyer shows: Matadors, The Whole Truth

School/teen drama: Generation Y

Workplace Sitcoms: Strange Brew, The Strip, untitled sitcom about computer crackers

Family- and Friend-based Sitcoms: Nevermind Nirvana, Women Are Crazy, Men Are Stupid, Happy Endings (they really going with that name?), Mr. Sunshine, Awkward Situations for Men, True Love, untitled Adam Carolla show

Sci Fi: Walking Dead, and that alien invasion show with Spielberg

And that ever elusive hard-to-categorize segment:

Cutthroat
    -a dramedy about an ambitious single mother who finds running her own international drug cartel is perfect training for navigating the cutthroat world of Beverly Hills high society

Midland
    - soap set against the backdrop of an oil business that centers on a polygamist living a double life

Luck - a provocative look at the world of horse racing and gambling told through a diverse group of characters surrounding a racetrack

Lights Out - an aging former heavyweight boxing champion struggles to support his wife, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, and three daughters after his fighting days are over

Boardwalk Empire - chronicles the early 20th century origins of Atlantic City and revolves around Nucky Johnson, who runs a liquor-distribution ring, and Jimmy Darmody, his ruthless flunky

Considering the volume of new shows, there are very few that sound interesting to me. The two sf/f shows so far get an automatic tryout. Cutthroat and Boardwalk Empire both sound possible. Midland sounds too much like it's covering Big Love territory. I like Covert Affairs for the cast.

I know pilot pickup season always has a tsunami of crap and very few gems, but it seems like it's worse than ever this year.

2. Temis the Vorta

Oops, I thought this was Gen Media. Oh well, I spose it will be booted in that direction soon enough. :D

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Boardwalk Empire sounds like it could be excellent. Or terrible, I don't know, but I'm leaning towards excellent.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you mean 2009-2010, not 2010-2011. ;)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No; the 2009-2010 season is already more than half over. These are pilots picked up for the following season, which will be 2010-2011. (You are remembering to put 2010 on your checks now, right? I almost forgot that today.)

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Interesting bit I jsut found:

This will either do the new contiuation show justice, or be epic fail like the pilot from a few years ago.

7. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

I was thinking that Cutthroat sounds very much like Weeds-- a dramedy about a single mother involved with drugs...sounds awfully familiar to me, and a lot less edgy if it's on network television. Boardwalk Empire will probably have a short lifespan--period dramas are expensive and unless it performs very well right away, I see it getting the axe.

Overall this is a pretty grim-sounding list.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

"Midland" sounds potentially hilarious.

9. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because, as we know, pediatric orthopedic surgeons are basically charity workers who don't charge massive fees for consults, let alone operations.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

hey whatever happened to Amy Ackers Happytown? Did that not get picked up coz I thought it did

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe she lost her license to alcoholism and now she works for the Mexican cartels and he's trying to "buy" her back by getting his ass kicked in the ring taking dives in bare fisted illegal matches every week?

12. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

But that's for this season, at least filming was, it's the reason why she couldn't be in season two of Dollhouse very much (Three episodes...), at least the pilot's done anyway. When it starts, I have no idea all I know so far is "2010" it'd be shitty to find out it doesn't come on until fall, meaning her being unable to be in Dollhouse due to commitment for this show is almost wasted.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Damn, you ain't kidding! :wtf:

Oh well, that's TV one step closer to the end.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

So Cutthroat is them taking Weeds and amping it up?

15. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Let's try to limit bigotry to the Neutral Zone forum.

;)

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big fan of Carolla, hopefully his show will turn out great and get picked up and air right along side Joel McHale's Community

17. Temis the Vorta

Yeah I expect Weeds Lite with a strong whiff of nasty bitchy guilty pleasure...could be worse, I spose.

I've been expecting it midseason but so far, no sign of it.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Wow. In the 20 years I've been reading these line-ups for prime time, this one is the stupidest.

I'm sticking to cable TV.

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Admiral Admiral

NCIS: Los Angeles is already on the air. The article was just saying that one of the characters is going to be a full cast member.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hawaii Five-O was never one of my favorite shows, though I watched it occasionally, but I'm impressed that someone is doing an actual continuation and not an "extreme re-imagining." For that reason alone I hope it doesn't suck.