2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Same difference. Usually in-house subsidiaries have a leg up on the competition when it comes to licensing. Which is why I don't find the 1979 remark impressive. An in-house company has to 'screw the pooch' pretty badly to have the license taken away.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If the recent Superman litigation is anything to go by, a licensee, even one in-house, still has to pay fair market value for the property.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

In other words, you're making an assumption with no facts to back it up. Gotcha.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

BillJ - New Frontier: Treason is being reprinted in mmpb.

Just thought I'd make sure you were aware of that.

5. BillJ

Of course. But then the profits and control of said property also stay in house.

:rolleyes: Do a little research from time to time.

Just saw it on TrekMovie. Which was all I was asking for to begin with. Though I could have sworn one poster mentioning the great things about Trades was that they weren't going to be taking up MMPB slots.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Fair point, and I'd actually prefer that they weren't reprinted and we got more books instead. But that's not too big a deal (I can wait another month), and this at least solves your problem.

7. Sci

It is the obligation of the person making the claim to provide research to support his claims, not the obligation of the person to whom he is making his claim.

Show me some actual evidence that in-house licensees have an unfair advantage over other potential licensees and that an in-house licensee has to really mess things up to lose their license -- and that, by implication, in-house licensees do not gain and then keep the license by planning and producing higher-quality work in comparison to other potential licensees -- and I'll buy what you're selling.

Otherwise, you are talking out of your ass.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They usually don't. So a spare MMPB slot may be filled later, as often happens with a schedule published 18 months in advance.

9. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Saw the cover for The Romulan War. I have not read all of the ENT novels, but I plan to. I was just wondering if other fans feel the same way I do:

Since the Romulan War in historical terms is one of the oldest events in the trek universe, (introduced/mentioned near the beginning of TOS's 1st season and further trek history has tied the establishment of the UFP as being very close to when the conflict with the Romulans would have unfolded....

Is there anyone else out there who is a little concerned the coming book The Romulan War may not be enough? I guess I am just voicing a concern that the entire conflict is going to be explored (limited?) in just one book. Its something that is concrete in Trek history and I hope the coming novel is merely a set up for a good series of books. Just seems to me the Romulan War should be more than just one book. I hope that is the case.

10. Sci

It's getting more than one book. This one is just being marketed under the single title.

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'd be perfectly happy with one book. As far as I'm concerned, there aren't a lot of major unanswered questions about that war. We know what we need to know about it. If we want the Enterprise books to be bogged down in continuity for the sake of continuity, there are enough unanswered questions from Enterprise itself.

12. BillJ

Investigate the relationship between the Atlanta Braves and WTBS which were both owned by Ted Turner. Or the Chicago Cubs and WGN which were both owned by Tribune. Other stations were locked out of the right to broadcast games for decades because of the way ownership worked.

Yeah, TBS paid X amount of dollars every year to broadcast games when no actual cash exchanged hands and the Braves controlled the content being delivered by TBS.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It was originally announced as a MMPB trilogy, and then as a single trade. I'm sure this one volume - in some places subtitled "Under the Raptor's Wing"? - won't attempt to tell the entire war in one volume, but it will supposedly be a very chunky book. It will depend on how well it sells, which is presumably also why there are no 2010 ENT novels announced yet.

In any case, wasn't this historical event also known as "The Romulan Wars" in fanon?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The cover you've seen is not final. The actual title is Under the Raptor's Wing -- I'm not sure if the phrase The Romulan War is even on the final cover -- and it's just the first part of the story of the Earth-Romulan War.

Margaret mentioned a page count at Shore Leave, and I don't remember the exact figure, but it was pretty hefty.

I think that's because 2010 is being devoted mainly to standalone TOS and Abramsverse books to go after the potential new audience created by the movie, with the back third of the year beind devoted to The Typhon Pact.

I'm not familiar with that. I've always heard it referred to as the Earth-Romulan War. Are you maybe thinking of the Eugenics Wars?

15. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Oh, I totally agree that there are a lot of unanswered questions from the TV show, but I think The Romulan War is such a huge historical section of trek history that it deserves a good amount of attention.

I hope the book does well, and as Christopher and Ian have speculated, I hope there are others to follow.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one revealed on Trekmovie.com isn't the final one?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^So I gather.

18. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Planning on preordering ST Voyager: Unworthy. :D