‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Again, I don't see why the trunks are any more out of step with modern fashions than the cape or the whole damn tights thing in general. None of it is in step with what people wear today. But all of it, as a piece, is the iconic look of Superman. I don't get singling out that one part of it.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

What's funny is that the current costume really is underwear. It's pretty much the long johns that goes under the armor.

All I'm saying is that I can't see how they can put it back in as part of the costume in the next movie. What's done is done. And personally, I'm getting used to the new look and actually like it to the point where the classic outfit is starting to look like what it is... A flashy strongman outfit.

I'm okay with the texture on the costume, it just looks odd on the S. And I don't think the S looks too big. It looks about right. The one from Superman Returns was too small. Want a big S? Look at the Eradicator's costume. Speaking of which, the Man of Steel costume does look like the Eradicator's outfit minus the black on the sides.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Agent Richard07

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I knew they would.

I say lighten up the blue and, if not the trunks, put something more substantial in the middle to break up the blue.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I agree the New 52 version could use a little work but I think it's still a better design than what we got in the movie. And I'm not sure why people are so resistant to updating the costume when just about everything else about Superman has been updated.

I like the classic look too but I still think an update was long overdue.

7. Christopher

Maybe because it's the archetype -- the original superhero costume and the template for so many more.

Or maybe just because people agree with me that the recent alternatives aren't really improvements. I mean, Superman's costume is supposed to be something he can hide under his street clothes. The bright primary colors and the cape and boots are hard enough to buy in that context; all these thick armorlike textures and raised S symbols and Mandarin collars and whatnot just make it ludicrous. Maybe there is a good way to update the costume, but these aren't it.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well if you are reading the New 52 his current outfit is an advanced piece of Kryptonian armour that essentially disappears until he needs it. I like this concept as it's in keeping with the advanced scientific culture of Krypton and is a little more advanced than simply wearing long johns under your clothes.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the suit from Man of Steel was fine. the New 52 suit...yeah, Superman doesn't need armor.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite Trek movie, TWOK, has what are arguably the worst costumes of the series, as well as numerous other problems. Having unsatisfactory costumes doesn't necessarily hurt a picture. I'd rather they got the costumes wrong and other, more important, things right, such as story, character, acting, and pacing, than get the costumes right enough and the things that really matter horribly wrong (cf. Green Lantern).

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

The cape will never go out of style for heroes in Superman's vein - it evokes nobility, knights and shining armor. It's the opposite of Edna Mode's argument. And the boots, well... practicality, good for fighting, "working man" look. It's why Stargirl's footwear makes so much sense. The trunks... just don't look good anymore. I think there's more of a "uniform" look these days - sports uniforms, that is.

True, but it's been... what, 70 years? We're talking modern mythology here, and aren't you all about updating and reinventing to be relevant? ;)

12. Christopher

^As I said, I'm not intrinsically against updating, but that doesn't mean I consider every given update to be an improvement. An update can be good or bad; quality can only be assessed case by case, not by category.

Maybe it's because I'm fashion-illiterate, but I just don't see why the trunks are so much more objectionable than any other part of the costume. To me they're just part of Superman's look. Maybe it's just that the "underwear on the outside" joke became a pervasive meme and convinced people to fixate on the trunks as a symbol of comic-book hokiness. If the pundits and wags had chosen to make a running joke out of the cape or the color scheme instead, then that's what would be getting phased out today. Fashion is more about conformity to group opinion than any objective standard of aesthetics or practicality.

13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that the stadium would only be a quarter to a half full and all the players would be taking dives, faking ankle injuries... :guffaw:

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I have to admit those uniforms are looking awfully dated now (although still a big improvement over the drab TMP uniforms).

15. Christopher

The TMP uniforms are actually a lot more practical and believable as real clothing. Add a bit more color and I think they'd work great. And while the colors are understated, they're not really as drab as people think. The problem is that the process used to transfer film to video in the '80s washed out the colors, so a generation grew up seeing a blander version of the film than the one that debuted in theaters in 1979. Also, even on the Director's Edition with the colors restored to their original vividness, the bridge scenes still have more subdued colors due to the dim lighting that was used to ensure that the filmstrips in the "monitors" would be visible. You can tell that Spock's uniform, for instance, looks gray on the bridge but blue-gray everywhere else.

16. Agent Richard07

I liked the uniforms introduced in TWOK but they do seem more like dress uniforms than something you could wear comfortably while on duty.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, how about if they update the one-piece suit with a red design element where the trunks used to be to hint at the original outfit?

18. Christopher

Potentially, depending on how it's done. Some "design elements" work better than others -- cf. the rather bizarre New 52 redesign of Supergirl's costume.

19. Agent Richard07

Yeah, I was reminded of Supergirl's new outfit. Now there's a redesign I like. Actually, I don't like the red patch that's supposed to be reminiscent of the red trunks but the rest is good.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I sincerely hate the New 52 Supergirl outfit. The long sleeves and super short skirt was awesome looking. Somehow the new one looks even more obscene like she's wearing a thong.