‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The world.

Both Superman and Batman are iconic characters worldwide. Right up there with Mickey Mouse and Santa Claus.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The characters are, yes, but not some esoteric comic title like World's Finest.

Royal Flush gang?

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds plausible. It seems like another setup for the JL movie.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

As for title, wouldn't Superman and Batman: World's Finest work if they did want to go that route? Can't be any more awkward than First Avenger.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It could, I suppose, but I doubt they'll want to. It's kind of an upbeat title, not in keeping with the grim-and-gritty tone that DC movies seem to feel compelled to strive for.

Indeed, the past three movies about either Batman or Superman haven't even put the names "Batman" and "Superman" in the titles. Warner Bros. is too embarrassed to admit that its superhero movies are about superheroes. The names didn't even appear in the end titles -- Christian Bale was billed as "Bruce Wayne" and Henry Cavill was billed as "Clark Kent/Kal-El." So now that I think about it, I'll be surprised if they did call it Superman vs. Batman.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ And Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, not Catwoman, IIRC.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's because they're "embarrassed." It's likely more because they wanted to differentiate themselves from previous Batman and Superman movies that used the name in the title.

And also because Man of Steel and The Dark Knight just sounds a lot cooler.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, I think that's more like it.

Hell, they did "Superman Returns" and "Batman Begins" not that long ago.

It shouldn't be called Batman vs. Superman because that's a silly premise not because it's embarrassing to use the hero names.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, mainstream filmmakers are clearly embarrassed by superhero nicknames and go out of their way to avoid using them. Watch just about any of these recent live-action movies, even the MCU ones, and you'll hear the hero's nickname maybe once or twice in the entire film. And it's often presented apologetically, like the brief mention of the name "Superman" in MoS. "Superman?" "Well, that's what they're calling him." The characters only mention it as something silly that they personally wouldn't lower themselves to using. I'd say the Spider-Man films are one of the rare exceptions that really embrace the nickname.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Superman v Batman or vice-versa is too reminiscent of Aliens v Predator. It's killed 'vs' in titles, for me anyway.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Superman vs Batman" might not even be representative of what will be going on in the movie.
    For all we know they may end up working together 30 minutes in.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, it's the classic superhero trope. The Heroes fight each over a silly misunderstanding and then go on to defeat the real enemy working together.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Supes: "Why are you doing this?!"
    Batman: "You stole my car."
    Supes: "But I don't need to drive, stupid."
    Batman: "Oh."
    Supes: "World's Greatest Detective, eh?"

14. Corran Horn

"Captain America" is said 7 times in the first movie. Once in the song. "Iron Man" is said 6 times in the first film and over twice that in the second.

Hell, "Batman" is said so many times "The Dark Knight" I stopped counting.

15. davejames

Well it was pretty obviously Superman we were watching in MOS, so I don't think it was really necessary to call him that repeatedly in the movie. And even the comics have taken to calling him "Clark" a lot more than Superman it seems like (and that's often even when he's got the supersuit on!)

There are obviously some aspects of the superhero world that seem a bit more corny and dated now, and that directors feel the need to approach in a more modern way (like the "American Way" quote in SR), but to me that's not much different than modernizing the costumes and trying to make those more believable on the big screen.

16. Corran Horn

Man of Steel was also an origin story where he really didn't even show himself as Superman to the public until 3/4 of the way into the movie. I imagine the sequel will have it be heard multiple times.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Here are all the shots of the new Batmobile so far if anyone is interested:

[​IMG]

And here's a giant version to see more of the detail (click):

[​IMG]

18. davejames

Hmm, in the Affleck pick it looks like the front wheels are a lot further back than in the other pics.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think the front wheels in that pic are turned to the right, which would bring it in closer to Affleck. If you look at the tread on that tire, it appears to be pointing directly at the cockpit.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Be interesting if the wheelbase stretched from a squat Tumbleresque shape to a lower riding F1 look.