Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 28 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Chrisisall
Commodore

Hypothetical: If Paramount ponied up the cash for Shatner to fix STV-

Would you buy the DVD when released? Rent it even?

For my part, I'd snap it up in an instant! I don't hate the movie (Really, it wasn't "Spock's Brain" bad), but I do HATE the FX (except the practical shuttle stuff)!

Fix the FX & we'd have the equivalent of a good animated ep, and I'd certainly PAY to see/own that!

Would you?
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Piper
Fleet Captain

Re: Hypothetical: If Paramount ponied up the cash for Shatner to fix S

Yes I would. But then I enjoy TFF anyway! Be great to see the finale as originally intended though...
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain

Agreed, I'd be buying it as well.
Old July 28 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

After The Motion Picture, I always figured The Final Frontier would be the next logical step. As with everything, it depends more on the cutting room floor footage, whether this would work. If it's just the selection already included as a DVD extra, then it made sense to prune that. If important scenes were shot with the intent to add an effect later, but they ran out of money... that's something else entirely. Revising the FX alone doesn't change anything, in my opinion anyway...
Old July 28 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

If you mean "fix" the effects, then no. That's a handful of shots that would make no difference to the film's fundamental flaws.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Ah, Forgive!
Commander

It's not a terrible movie. It's fun to see Kirk, Spock and McCoy play off each other like they did on the TV show. The flaw is that (much like TMP) the whole movie is about building up how awesome the end of the movie will be, and then nothing happens in the third act. Throwing some cool new effects in would fix that up nicely.

If there is enough footage to bring the originally planned rock monsters in the third act to life, then I'd be pretty excited.
Old July 29 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Elwin Ransom
Commander

Yes, if Shatner was really given the money to fix it as he wants. Paramount murdered that film. What we got was a highly flawed finished product with some glimmers of genius.
Elwin Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 12:21 AM   #8
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Another "no" vote. As glaring as they are, the FX are the least of TFF's problems. To truly fix the film, first you need to calculate how to slingshot your ship around the sun to travel back to 1988...
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 12:42 AM   #9
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I would buy it, yes. The problems with the film are not as massive as some think. Get rid of the awful effects, trim out some of the more embarrassing attempts to force comedy, and use your improved effects and cut footage to shore up the third act, and you'd end up with a pretty nice end product, IMHO.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Definately. The whole ending would be entirely different, as far as I've read. And if you fix the visuals, people would automatically love it. The new movie is evidence for that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Chrisisall
Commodore

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
If you mean "fix" the effects, then no. That's a handful of shots that would make no difference to the film's fundamental flaws.
I mean that, & FX additions to give it the ending they ran out of money for... I could deal with a little CGI Kirk kicking Hell out of rock monsters, couldn't you?
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 06:23 AM   #12
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ You might not have to go with "CGI Kirk" though. It would also depend on just what footage was shot for the original ending before they discarded it and created the revised ending that we got.

It is my understanding that many of the changes were made in post-production and not during filming. For example, the shot of Kirk climbing up the mountain and then looking back over his shoulder at the floating head blob thing was originally meant to be him looking back at one of the rock monsters. When they filmed, they were still hoping that they might be able to do something in post to salvage their original ending, but it provided too complex and cost prohibitive, so they cut the scenes down to their bare minimum and added in the effect of the floating head blob.

Now, with CGI available, you could easily create whatever you wanted to be interacting with the live footage. Rock monsters galore if you wish. The rock monsters emerging from the ground after the "temple" collapses, as originally planned, could be easily created with CGI as well. In other words, as long as sufficient live action footage from the originally planned ending exists, you could reconstruct the ending completely.

Now, again, is this going to turn TFF into 2001? No, of course not. The film has several fundamental flaws that are not going to be able to be fixed 20+ years later. But the film does have alot of heart, it has some good character moments, it has some great acting - DeForest Kelley and Lawrence Luckinbill, in particular, really shine -- and it has some powerful scenes, such as the death of McCoy's father.

If you took out the big, major things that knock you out of the film, such as the jarringly bad visual effects and the way out of place comedy, and also put some effort into constructing a better ending, you could be left with a very good film. Not a great film. Not a cinematic classic. Not a film, perhaps, that's even on par with Trek's best efforts. But still a very good film.

And given the amount of debate amongst Trek fans about this film, I can't imagine that a reasonable effort at "upgrading" this film couldn't be profitable for Paramount.
Old July 29 2009, 07:16 AM   #13
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

It'll never be a "very good" film as it's got serious structural problems. At best it'd be a so-so film.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 07:26 AM   #14
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

Nope. I've seen the old Star Trek movies more then once, of course. But they are a little bit before my time to enjoy them as much as I can enjoy the later movies. They'd have to do a near-reboot to make them so enjoyable as to actually buy a new copy.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 09:36 AM   #15
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
It'll never be a "very good" film as it's got serious structural problems. At best it'd be a so-so film.
Obviously, there is going to be no consensus on this. Alot depends on your view of the film as it stands now. I already consider the film to be a so-so film. I do not at all consider it to be bad. So I believe it could go to "very good" with some work.