Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 27 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

So what would you like CBS to do with a new Star Trek TV show?

Star Trek is back with its biggest hit in theaters, ever, and soon to come out on Blu-Ray and DVD to make even more money; will CBS follow with a new TV show? In the right hands a new show would be very big, market its release, sell it to the right sponsors, it could make a lot of money, and, CBS knows this; so is a new show inevitable? Their is soon to be a live action Star Wars TV show to come out in 2010 with the scripts being worked on filming has still not yet begun but that is inevitable too, so there is a market for people who want another science fiction show, every producer in the television world knows this, so why hasn't CBS put out the word that a new show is coming, because they are not sure how to execute it!

So lets tell them what we as, yes, Trekker's and Trekkies know will work lets start a huge thread on what kind of show will work!

Should the next Trek show be in JJ's new universe, because chances are that is where it will be? Should it even be on a Starship but a wild west frontier colony planet, or an alien ship? Should it be about alien pirates? Should it be about Klingon's depicted as honorable yet slightly crazy people, not as cruel as depicted before? Should it be about the Romulan Empire in the 23rd century? Should it be on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701, focused on the officers of lower rank?

Should it start with a two episode pilot, or a week long mini-series of nightly episodes to jump start the new show? How many characters should the new show be focused on? What is the goal of the new show? Is there to be a message learned from a new show?

Alright use your imagination, your common sense, and discuss the future CBS TV show!
Old July 27 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

Re: So what would you like CBS to do with a new Star Trek TV show?

So a former Trek writer and producer Bryan Fuller is really pushing CBS to let him do the next Trek show and there are a lot of articles about him and interviews with him and here is one of them from June 15th: http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/06/15/is...-trek-tv-show/. So is doing Fuller Trek set in JJ new 23rd century universe the way to go? Is Fuller the right man for a new Trek show?
Old July 27 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

So is Fuller right and he should be the one to do a new show after another movie or two?
Old July 28 2009, 06:17 AM   #4
gastrof
Rear Admiral

I'm picky.

I'd like to have nu-TOS. We've had Kirk and Spock reintroduced. How many films do we think we'll get out of the current cast? I doubt it'll go to six again.

I'm not sure how long to get to three, but after that maybe it's time for a new series about the original crew.

Some of the stuff that's been suggested by fans, including new takes on old stories, can't ALL be covered in just a few films.

But in a new SERIES....
Old July 28 2009, 08:01 AM   #5
msbae
Commodore

gastrof wrote: View Post
I'm picky.

I'd like to have nu-TOS. We've had Kirk and Spock reintroduced. How many films do we think we'll get out of the current cast? I doubt it'll go to six again.

I'm not sure how long to get to three, but after that maybe it's time for a new series about the original crew.

Some of the stuff that's been suggested by fans, including new takes on old stories, can't ALL be covered in just a few films.

But in a new SERIES....
I want a new series with JJ's re-imagined TOS crew as well, preferably after they've had at least 3 films. However, we don't need to redo all of the old stories. We can't redo some of them. Amok Time probably wouldn't work since Vulcan was destroyed. (Or, maybe it would since Spock would have a whole new motivation for banging T'Pring like a screen door in a Hurricane; helping to rebuild the Vulcan race.) Let that be your last battlefield would fall flat with today's audience since racism isn't as much of a concern in American society anymore. Also, I have no desire to see the Hippie episode done again. It sucked enough the first time it was seen.

All that being said, I do want to see a remake for Balance of Terror, Errand of Mercy, The Doomsday Machine and City on the Edge of Forever, among others. Those could be great stories for a new JJ-Trek series.
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:54 AM   #6
skep155
Lieutenant Commander

No chance of getting those actors to do a t.v series. Any new Trek series will likely be about another Starfleet crew. They wouldn't risk doing it about an alien crew because the audience need to be able to identify with the protagonists.

I'd rather they set it on a frigate than on a Constitution class ship, being able to blow everything to smithereens just encouages lazy story telling. I'd prefer the ships interior to have a similar feel to the Kelvins. No more forehead of the week aliens.
skep155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

A reboot of TOS has been the most obvious route for a new series for a while now, but as people have mentioned, it's doubtful whether the actors from the latest film would be prepared to commit to such a project. They're mostly young people with the potential for successful film careers; while they could no doubt make a good deal of money from a Star Trek series, I think they'll be mindful of the danger of being typecast. There's certainly a good chance that the execs will cash in with a new show, and it might even be good, but in terms of actually getting quality product the film series might be fans' best bet, at least for a while. I think that for a new Trek show to be good there needs to be someone with a pressing need to make it, a person or persons who can inject passion and urgency into the series. I'd rather have no Trek than bad Trek.
Old July 28 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Make Enterprise Season 5 or a continuation of some sort. Some rethinking along the lines of Season 4, maybe a soft reboot but essentially those characters, that technology and the exploration of 22nd Century. Birth of the Federation, Romulan War and all the potential territory the show was heading deeper into, before internal studio politics stepped in to decide Star Trek was an unnecessary expenditure.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; July 28 2009 at 09:45 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:34 PM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
A reboot of TOS has been the most obvious route for a new series for a while now,

in terms of actually getting quality product the film series might be fans' best bet, at least for a while.
I agree for now. After Star Trek XII and XIII we will see a TV series I think.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 12:35 AM   #10
NIUPonyBoy
Captain

Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy

Would it be a show with the movie crew or recast?

A recast for a recast would simply be garbage IMHO.
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 03:34 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral

Any new show would have to take place in the alternate reality created by ST09, but there's zero chance they'd be able to get the movie cast to sign on for a TV show. Better to set the show on another Starfleet vessel with a different crew. Maybe they can get members of the movie cast to make occasional guest appearances.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 05:14 AM   #12
dillon3001
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to dillon3001 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to dillon3001 Send a message via Yahoo to dillon3001

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Any new show would have to take place in the alternate reality created by ST09, but there's zero chance they'd be able to get the movie cast to sign on for a TV show. Better to set the show on another Starfleet vessel with a different crew. Maybe they can get members of the movie cast to make occasional guest appearances.
I for one would love a series with all the cast from ST09, i dont know what would be stopping them from getting it done, but I know next to nothing about how that stuff works. Quinto does TV already, maybe the hangup for it would be the actors schedule with doing other projects and such.

Still would be cool to have the ST09 cast though imo
Old July 29 2009, 07:55 AM   #13
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

I'd like to have a new Star Trek show, set in the same universe as the movie (obviously). However, if that ever were to come true, I do sincerely hope they'll throw the rulebook in the wind and change the rules a little. I don't want the larger view of the stories to come to the same conclusions we've already seen. Change the larger picture into something completely different.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Skywalker
Admiral

dillon3001 wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I for one would love a series with all the cast from ST09, i dont know what would be stopping them from getting it done, but I know next to nothing about how that stuff works. Quinto does TV already, maybe the hangup for it would be the actors schedule with doing other projects and such.

Still would be cool to have the ST09 cast though imo
Zachary Quinto - TV actor (for now, ST09 might change that)
Chris Pine - film actor
Zoe Saldana - film actor
Simon Pegg - film actor
Karl Urban - film actor
Anton Yelchin - film actor
John Cho - film actor (though he had a guest spot on House and will be in Flash Forward, dunno if it's a regular role or temporary)

Generally, most actors who tend to star in films do so because they don't want to get tied down by a long-term TV contract. And because there's usually more money in film than in TV. The stigma about television in Hollywood isn't as bad as it used to be, however.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 02:23 PM   #15
xortex
Commodore

If anything is to reimagined and rebooted, it should be the next generation not with that title however. With phase two sensabilities and maybe even the phase two Enterprise with cast members on a pay to play basis. I don't want everyone getting their 'say' on everything with equal time and parts. In fact I'd prefer only a tentative main cast with diverse POV's ala an anthology. It should center around a completely thought out mystery sans time travel.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote