RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,909
Posts: 5,388,108
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 504
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 27 2009, 05:03 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

I'm guessing they'll go with the Earth-2 scenario . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 06:51 PM   #17
DarkHelmet
Admiral
 
DarkHelmet's Avatar
 
Location: Mirimar, CA
View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

While I love Geoff's comic book work (especially on Action and the current GL run).. I was less than impressed with the Legion episode he wrote. So while this piques my interest, I'll take a wait-and-see approach.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
DarkHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 07:38 PM   #18
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

^^ Sure it's Geoff Johns but it's also run through the Smallville filter of crapitude
__________________

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Dark Gilligan
Writer
 
Dark Gilligan's Avatar
 
Location: an uncharted desert isle
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Christopher wrote: View Post
A team of superheroes that operated in WWII would be in their 80s today. I think we're past the point where the JSA can be credibly depicted as being from that era.
It would work if the surviving JSA members really are in their 80s and in decades-long retirement, well beyond their prime. Absolutely agree that they should no longer be active and fully powered. Maybe someone is targeting them now in their old age; maybe their exploits will be shown in flash-back only. There are possibilities.

Just for fun, what actors of that age come to mind? I'd love to see Noel Neil in some capacity. Liberty Belle perhaps.
__________________
Visit DG's website at www.darkapostle.net
Dark Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 09:30 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
A team of superheroes that operated in WWII would be in their 80s today. I think we're past the point where the JSA can be credibly depicted as being from that era.
It would work if the surviving JSA members really are in their 80s and in decades-long retirement, well beyond their prime. Absolutely agree that they should no longer be active and fully powered. Maybe someone is targeting them now in their old age; maybe their exploits will be shown in flash-back only. There are possibilities.

Just for fun, what actors of that age come to mind? I'd love to see Noel Neil in some capacity. Liberty Belle perhaps.
Somehow I don't see the CW doing an episode about 80-year-old superheroes.

Best to just slide the timeline forward. If you want to do a story about a previous generation of "mystery men," you don't need World War II any more than the show needed Clark to originally crash to Earth during the Great Depression. You just need to set the flashbacks a couple of decades ago. Same story. No problems.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 09:46 PM   #21
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Best to just slide the timeline forward. If you want to do a story about a previous generation of "mystery men," you don't need World War II any more than the show needed Clark to originally crash to Earth during the Great Depression. You just need to set the flashbacks a couple of decades ago. Same story. No problems.
Maybe they can "borrow" Marvel's Disco Dazzler...
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 09:54 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Nah, they're saving her for WOLVERINE: THE DISCO YEARS.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 09:59 PM   #23
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Wasn't there one interpretation where the JSA fell into a time trap / black hole in the 50s and just now came out of it?
__________________

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Wasn't there one interpretation where the JSA fell into a time trap / black hole in the 50s and just now came out of it?
In Post-Crisis continuity, the story "Flash of Two Worlds" had Barry Allen vibrate into Keystone City, which had been knocked out of sync with the world. Keystone vanished on Earth, and was moved to another dimensional plane where time moved slower.

Something like this could be adapted. Villains attack the JSA during a meeting, throwing the entire city out of sync with the world. Maybe time passes half as fast, the fifty plus years they are gone only become 25.

Perhaps a surviving unpowered member travels to Metropolis after hearing of the Blur, looking for help in finding his missing team mates.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 02:17 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

^That is just way too complicated an approach for Smallville to take. Remember, the majority of the show's viewers are not comics fans. The JSA needs to be presented in a way that's straightforward and accessible to new viewers. When adapting comics for a new audience, it's a very, very bad idea to keep all the insanely convoluted retcons and rationalizations that have been accreted onto the comics characters over the decades. Better to strip things down to the essentials.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 02:26 PM   #26
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

I would imagine they would be heroes from the 1960s-1980s(depending on the age of the actors they use). They here about the Red Blue Blur and go to mentor him and maybe Ollie into becoming real heroes.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 02:28 PM   #27
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

DarkHelmet wrote: View Post
While I love Geoff's comic book work (especially on Action and the current GL run).. I was less than impressed with the Legion episode he wrote. So while this piques my interest, I'll take a wait-and-see approach.
The Legion episode was one of the best written and worst directed/acted episodes of Smallville I've seen. Hopefully they will use a better director for Justice.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 02:37 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^That is just way too complicated an approach for Smallville to take. Remember, the majority of the show's viewers are not comics fans. The JSA needs to be presented in a way that's straightforward and accessible to new viewers. When adapting comics for a new audience, it's a very, very bad idea to keep all the insanely convoluted retcons and rationalizations that have been accreted onto the comics characters over the decades. Better to strip things down to the essentials.
I agree that you don't want to bog SMALLVILLE down with decades of convoluted DC continuity and Crises, but I don't think the basic idea of Earth-2 requires too much explication. "We're from a parallel Earth . . . ."

That's a pretty standard sf-tv cliche. It shouldn't confuse non-comics fans.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 03:54 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

A parallel Earth is a possibility, true. I just think it's unreasonable to expect the kind of convolutions the comics have employed to justify having WWII-era heroes be active in the present day. When starting from scratch, it makes more sense to make the JSA more recent -- or even contemporary in a parallel world.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 06:56 PM   #30
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Geoff Johns to do Justice Society Episode on Smallville!

How about a parallel earth where time moves slower and for them WWII just ended and they accidentally crossover to Small-Earth?
__________________

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
geoff johns, justice society, smallville

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.