RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,105
Members: 26,073
Currently online: 386
Newest member: Adam Garner

TrekToday headlines

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 27 2009, 11:02 PM   #31
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: NFL Football 2009

^
He does love speed.
Old July 28 2009, 05:06 PM   #32
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Commander Vaughn wrote: View Post
Another Lions fan? Thats hard to believe! What are your thoughts on going 0-16 last year? I was actively rooting for it once they got past 0-5. You think there will be any kind of turnaround this year?

It's not often I get to pick the brain of a fellow Lions fan on this board...
I was rooting for them after about 0-7.

As much I want Stafford to come in and be Ryan/Flacco, I have a hard time believing it. I'm thinking 4 wins tops.
Old July 28 2009, 05:17 PM   #33
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I can't find a link to it, but have you guys seen the Detroit Lions undefeated preseason champs t-shirt out there? It's comical.

I was really rooting for the Thanksgiving game last year to be 11-0 Titans vs. 0-11 Lions. The Titans lost the week before, but the game was hideous anyway.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 07:18 PM   #34
Mallory

Yeah, I think Stafford is going to be in for a long season. The Lions just seem to have too many other weaknesses to make any kind of serious run this season. But hey, that's why the play the games. So who knows?
Old July 28 2009, 07:20 PM   #35
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The Lions in a nutshell:

Old July 28 2009, 07:55 PM   #36
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Go Broncos!
Old July 29 2009, 12:49 AM   #37
CorporalClegg
Admiral

So it's offical! Favre is not going to be a Viking.

Time to roll with the T-Jacker!
Old July 29 2009, 03:52 AM   #38
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
^
He does love speed.
...and big arms, which Vick has in abundance. But the Raiders already have a bunch of quarterbacks, otherwise I'de say sign the guy. He is still a major talent. And you know Al Davis could give a flying "F" about politically correct.

A writer in the L.A. Times mentioned the Niners, New England, or Parcells' team, since he like Al, doesn't care about what folks would think about it. Anyway, I'm willing to bet some team will eventually sign him even if it's not until after the preseason after which there are usually QB injuries
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 05:19 AM   #39
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So it's offical! Favre is not going to be a Viking.

Time to roll with the T-Jacker!
Of course, after all of the Favre crap, Tavaris Jackson's going to be even more of a head case than he was before. Doesn't give your starting QB a lot of confidence when you spend half the summer talking about dumping him completely.

Maybe the Vikes should look at going after Vick. They've had plenty of felons on their roster in the past.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 02:17 PM   #40
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

You'd still think the Vikings are the favorite to win the NFC North. The Bears have Cutler now, but I still think Minnesota has a better all-around team. Either way, it'll be an interesting division race, thats for sure.
Old July 29 2009, 02:21 PM   #41
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Good riddance Brett! You won't be missed. Drama queen.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 02:31 PM   #42
Spider
Dirty Old Man

This is the year the Texans finally have a season above 500!

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 02:42 PM   #43
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post
This is the year the Texans finally have a season above 500!
If that helps you sleep at night.
Old July 29 2009, 04:47 PM   #44
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
Of course, after all of the Favre crap, Tavaris Jackson's going to be even more of a head case than he was before. Doesn't give your starting QB a lot of confidence when you spend half the summer talking about dumping him completely.
I don't know about that. I think the fact that he's now going to have to go out and win the job will be good for him. Of course, it's not even guaranteed he'll even be the starter. But, if he does, it should be a confidence boost.

He looked great in the OTAs. While all the Favre crap was at his peak, he went out there an slung the football. It didn't seem to bother him. He was even joking about it--and all the erroneous reports made about his "attitude."

Plus, despite what all the depth charts say, I think Rosenfels is currently the would-be starter. But if Jackson has a good camp, plays well in exhibition, and keeps the loony-toons to a minimal, the job is his.

Maybe the Vikes should look at going after Vick. They've had plenty of felons on their roster in the past.
No chance in hell. The Vikings are all about the "culture of accountability" now. Once you've become the laughing stock of the league, you go out of your way to avoid any potential bad press.

Plus, they have nothing to gain. The guy simply doesn't fit the bill--totally wrong for the offense.

The irony here is, people call Jackson "Vick-lite." Except I really think Jackson is the better quarterback. Vick was just a little faster and ran a lot more and thus made a the better highlight real.

Jackson is a much better passer--at least when he's not doing stupid shit.

Commander Vaughn wrote: View Post
You'd still think the Vikings are the favorite to win the NFC North. The Bears have Cutler now, but I still think Minnesota has a better all-around team. Either way, it'll be an interesting division race, thats for sure.
Well, if you ask Bears fan, there's no need to play the season. They have their savior. (His initials are JC.) and he's going to lead the team to the pot of gold.

I think they're due for an eye-opener with Cutler. The guy can sling it no doubt, but I don't know he'll be as a significant upgrade as people seem to think.

For starters, I think Orton was better than people gave him credit for, and Cutler just isn't as "great" as people have anointed him.

Cutler has always played very poorly against strong defenses. In a few cases, we was down-right awful. Also, the other teams in the AFC West: Oakland, KC, and San Diego have all had mediocre to terrible pass defenses the past couple of years. If you look at the game by game stats, you'd see he really padded his stats against them.

As far as his, "big" numbers last year, if you compare them to other quarterbacks who threw 600 or more passes, his actually rank pretty low.

Then there's the whole issue of surrounding talent. Denver has one of the better receiving corps and one of the best offensive lines, the Bears have neither.
Old July 29 2009, 05:39 PM   #45
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Hasn't been mentioned here yet, but Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson lost his battle with cancer yesterday. The man was a defensive genius and probably the reason why the Eagles have had such a strong defense the last 10 years. I kinda knew this thing was coming, but it's still sad to hear.