CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 31 2009, 01:25 AM   #31
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

Re: The College Football Thread

I'm kind of surprised no one here as mentioned this yet. Michigan is investigating allegations that the workout regimines that coaches have been putting players through in the offseason are about seven or eight times what the NCAA allows.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4432956

What does everyone else think about this? I'm not too big on breaking the rules. It's not really something the program really needs right now. It makes it less fun to root for a team when it has a cloud hanging over it, especially if their success can be traced back violating the rules.

It's still early, but for now I kind of have to say boo Michigan for cheating. I hope everything works out okay in the end.
Old August 31 2009, 01:41 AM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I was wondering what that was about. I saw the headline on TV at work, but the sound wasn't on, so I couldn't know more than the headline. Since the allegation came from players, I wonder if this will turn into a locker room nightmare more than a discipline issue (it could be both, of course).
Old August 31 2009, 01:52 AM   #33
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

Judging by how many players have left the program since Rich Rod took over, I don't think it'll be a big locker room thing. Most people who really objected have already left. Still, it's not a distraction the program needs right now, coming off a 3-9 season.
Old August 31 2009, 04:34 AM   #34
Mallory

Commander Vaughn wrote: View Post
What does everyone else think about this? I'm not too big on breaking the rules. It's not really something the program really needs right now. It makes it less fun to root for a team when it has a cloud hanging over it, especially if their success can be traced back violating the rules.
It will be even less fun if the allegations turn out to be true and the NCAA slaps the program with some sanctions. I hope for the sake of the players it turns out to be nothing more than allegations.
Old August 31 2009, 06:07 PM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

UGA Bulldogs!

My alma mater, the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (FCS) are postseason ineligible due to grade for the next three seasons... so I really have no interest. I was planning on going to either the game against GA Tech or FSU, but I couldn't give a crap now.
Old August 31 2009, 08:10 PM   #36
Neroon
Mod of balance

Mallory wrote: View Post
Commander Vaughn wrote: View Post
It will be even less fun if the allegations turn out to be true and the NCAA slaps the program with some sanctions. I hope for the sake of the players it turns out to be nothing more than allegations.
My first reaction to the story was "Could this simply be a function of today's athletes being more 'coddled' and less tough?" I am no fan of RichRod's but neither am I an enemy. What I know of him is that he runs tough, hard practices, because his system depends on lean, fast and mobile players. It's not that complex on the drawing board, but it demands the player be able to move and outmaneuver on demand. Consequently, the player is going to go though drills and such that define the word "brutal".
Old September 1 2009, 02:53 AM   #37
Mallory

Everything I've read so far has had to do with the program exceeding the maximum practice times such as mandatory 40 hour weeks when the NCAA limit is 20 hours, nothing to do with the practices themselves. But these are all alleged infractions for now, so until someone actually investigates we won't know the truth.
Old September 1 2009, 04:09 PM   #38
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

I'm not really sure what to expect from this investigation. It's going to be hard to prove that all the extra practices were "mandatory", even though they practically were if you wanted to make the team. I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Otherwise, the countdown to DI football is now just two days...
Old September 3 2009, 12:24 AM   #39
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

That news clip was hilarious. Fraudriguez sounded just like Renault in "Casablanca". Here's hoping he has another terrible season, gets fired, and has trouble getting a job as a waterboy.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 05:02 AM   #40
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

^Fraudriguez eh? Ouch. I'm wouldn't go that far yet, but it's definitely not good to have allegations swirling around the guy...

The Oregon-Boise State game is kind of interesting. I came into the game at the half, and Boise State has scored a touchdown, converted a 2 point conversion, gotten a safety, and kicked a field goal. A strange combination.

And Oregon has new jerseys that are less ugly than the old ones. But those weird shoulder pad necklace things are strange looking.
Old September 4 2009, 05:10 AM   #41
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'm watching a bit of the Oregon game and they only had 5 minutes of time of possession in the first half. That's not good.
Old September 4 2009, 05:22 AM   #42
Commander Vaughn
Vice Admiral

It probably explains why they're down by 19-0. I heard the announcer say they've had six different three-and-outs this game. Thats not helping at all.

I'm guessing Mallory is not enjoying this game so far...
Old September 4 2009, 01:38 PM   #43
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Oregon loses by knockout!

Not a good start for the Ducks.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 02:19 PM   #44
mimic
Rear Admiral

That punch - wow. The punchee wasn't even looking when he threw it. I imagine Blount will be benched for at least a few games.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 05:21 PM   #45
Mallory

Yeah, that game was pretty much the nightmare that I've been worrying about for the past month or so. With a new head coach and bunch of new players I had a real bad feeling about Oregon's ability to pull it together in time for the first game. As for the punch, that was simply inexcusable. Blount was suspended for a couple of games last year and for pretty much the first six months of this year. He just got reinstated to the program in July. I'd be very surprised if he gets off lightly this time.