Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 21 2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Chrisisall
Commodore

Favourite episode from all of Televised Trek?

Hands down, my favourite is "Doomsday Machine."
"Tapestry" came to mind, but "Gentlemen... beam me aboard..." is just so classic.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Piper
Fleet Captain

Re: Favourite episode from all of Televised Trek?

All Good Things.

A nigh-on perfect episode of TNG.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Chrisisall
Commodore

Piper wrote: View Post
All Good Things.

A nigh-on perfect episode of TNG.
Nice choice.
Old July 21 2009, 01:03 AM   #4
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Observer Effect
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Orac
Admiral

Arena

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #53: The Ultimate Computer
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:07 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"The City On The Edge Of Forever"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:42 AM   #7
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

The Best of Both Worlds-
Not only is it the best in Trek from all five series. It is better than all the eleven films and blows most other landmark episodes of other non-Trek shows out of the water. This has withstood the test of time becoming a part of television history.

This watershed moment in tv history was one of those fortunate instances where writer Michael Piller was able to come up with a storyline that resonated on every level with the viewer. I think a large part of its appeal of course is depicting a near Armageddon by taking it as far as he could allowing the audience to believe the worst case scenario could happen. He conceived in my opinion the ideal portrayal of a doomsday-level event and thankfully its presentation came across perfectly incorporating all the necessary and desired elements one would hope to see in such a dire situation. That of course includes a worthy enemy capable of upping the stakes to epic proportions.

The Borg are just one of those instances of writers catching lightning in a bottle by creating an alien race that catches on like wildfire with the fans and that captures their imagination. I mean how many races have that kind of impact after only one brief appearance. Sure they might not be the first cybernetic race in science fiction but Hurley must be applauded for doing something original with them making them such a fascinating group with quite intriguing characteristics and unique behavior.

And I’ll always have fond memories of this episode because it made me take note of the writer and this is where my respect for Michael Piller started and why I continued to follow his work over the years. These two hours are just so wonderfully written with all the details you'd want, a fair amount of battles, tension, suspense, intelligent reflection most vivid in Guinan/Picard's Ten Forward scene, a devastating cliffhanger, a sense of fatalism never seen before on TNG that added a chilling texture, a bold act with Picard becoming the enemy all anchored by a compelling emotional story that ponders the fate of not just an entire civilization but more urgently the fate of a single individual.

It also features the most chilling torture scene I've ever witnessed. Much like in “Chain of Command”, this is a trauma that Picard must endure alone on his own and one that no one else can even begin to fathom and for which no one can take his place for him. We get the first indication that a part of the man is still alive struggling to break free, aware but trapped in his own body helpless to do anything—the Borg not even affording him an opportunity to at least fight back.

But make no mistake his torturers aren't doing this as punishment or torture but that is the effect nonetheless--which makes it all the more terrifying. They see it as nothing more than a normal part of how they exist and they can’t even begin to understand the mental torture they are inflicting upon him as they leave Picard as not much more than a neutered silent observer passively watching as he is compelled to assist the Borg in the systematic deconstructing of his humanity as he raises his arm to receive an armature or as a device implants technology into his brain and drains the color from his face.

Picard can only shed a single tear that falls from his cheek. I loved that subtle but powerful touch. This scene is so impressive because it conveys the suffering in a way that doesn’t require graphic violence or but is just as unnerving.

Michael Piller took every opportunity to keep upping the stakes and portraying events so devastating in their unpredictability realizing the Borg invasion was the one chance to really pull out all the stops.

What impresses me about the second half is the fact Michael Piller wrote it months later with very little idea how he was going to wrap up Part I yet you couldn’t tell that from watching.

This is perfection. I have yet to see anything have as profound and riveting effect as these two hours. It appeals to everyone--from action fans to drama lovers to sci-fi fans.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 02:56 AM   #8
xman
Commander

I love City at the Edge of Forever, The Measure of a Man, All Good Things and E² as well as others, but Tapestry has always resonated particularly strongly with me.
Old July 21 2009, 03:07 AM   #9
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

The Measure of a Man

Honorable mentions:
Similitude, Duet, Sacred Ground
Old July 21 2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

In the Pale Moonlight
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 03:25 AM   #11
Chrisisall
Commodore

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
it made me take note of the writer and this is where my respect for Michael Piller started and why I continued to follow his work over the years.
And I LOVE his story for Insurrection, even if I am alone in that sentiment.
These two hours are just so wonderfully written with all the details you'd want, a fair amount of battles, tension, suspense, intelligent reflection most vivid in Guinan/Picard's Ten Forward scene, a devastating cliffhanger, a sense of fatalism never seen before on TNG that added a chilling texture, a bold act with Picard becoming the enemy all anchored by a compelling emotional story that ponders the fate of not just an entire civilization but more urgently the fate of a single individual.
Please don't forget "Family", a PERFECT coda to that event!
Old July 21 2009, 03:29 AM   #12
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Duet
This Side of Paradise
In The Pale Moonlight
Measure of A Man
Chain of Command
Balance of Terror
Amok Time
Second Skin/Ties of Blood and Water

But since I have to pick just one:
Duet

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 03:40 AM   #13
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

The Enemy Within is my favorite ep
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 03:42 AM   #14
Chrisisall
Commodore

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Duet
In light of your "Duet" pick, I'm surprised "A Private Little War" was not on your list.
Just sayin'.
Old July 21 2009, 03:44 AM   #15
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Duet
In light of your "Duet" pick, I'm surprised "A Private Little War" was not on your list.
Just sayin'.
Come again?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote