Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 30 2009, 08:56 PM   #151
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Terminator Chronicles: Second Chance

NX74205 wrote: View Post
I never thought about that but I suppose that you are right, that Weaver is probably one of the oldest if not the oldest machine out there. I also like how you came up with the fact that she is trying to find a way that both skin and metal can coexist as opposed to trying to wipe each other out which was a small theme in the show.

I also need to re-read this since in my haste this morning I think I missed the part about weaver's envoy to the resistance.
Its Cameron. I got it. Well done. See comments above for further opinions/reviews. I support all of them.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 04:37 PM   #152
nx1701g
Admiral

Some news:

I've begun working on the next section and I've mapped it out with the way I want to go. There are going to be more familiar characters appearing, more confrontations, and (most importantly) the results of the last chapter will be explored. Also, perhaps most unsettling, a character death is coming and it's a fan favorite (begin wild speculation).

There are only a few entries left until the conclusion. Hang on!
Old November 5 2009, 04:57 PM   #153
nx1701g
Admiral

Morning,

The next update has been delayed until the weekend. I'm very sorry for the delay.
Old November 18 2009, 11:06 PM   #154
nx1701g
Admiral

So I just wanted to let everyone know I am still working on this - my new position's hours are very different from most other jobs I have had - but I've completed an Ellison part of the story and I'm working on a John/Weaver part now. I'm not giving a time table because, when I do, something happens to screw it up.
Old November 19 2009, 06:26 PM   #155
The Badger
Fleet Captain

It's disappointing not to get a new chapter but, believe me, I know how real life can get in the way. Thanks for keeping us informed of the situation.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 06:43 AM   #156
nx1701g
Admiral

Not long ago Rodeo Drive was the kind of place that people would kill to visit. It was one of the most beautifully kept roads in the state of California with its amazing landscaping and carefully laid out design. Plus the stores were filled with the most impressive – and expensive – objects that you could find anywhere in the world. It was nothing to visit one of these stores and find a suit that was as ugly as sin itself that cost more than someone’s car, or a piece of jewelry that was more expensive than what the average person made in his or her entire lifetime before the fall.

If the people that flocked to these stores could see them now they’d die instantly from the fright of what lay before them. Where there were once amazingly appointed boutiques and other specialty shops there was now only the skeletal remains of yesterday. Those ugly dresses of yesteryear were now nothing more than tattered old rags either from weathering or from the fall out of Judgment Day. The power was out and the alarms on the broken jewelry cases had long ago fallen silent. Most of the expensive merchandise was gone, as any would expect, and what was left behind wasn’t in high demand either. It wasn’t like anything that anyone could imagine.

Plus the customers who frequented these stores weren’t exactly the kind of people you’d expect to see in the most expensive drive in the world. Movie stars, successful doctors, and celebrities were once the only people bold enough – other than tourists – to frequent these stores before. They wore designer clothes, drove cars that cost more than three times what the average guy could afford, and had spray tanned bodies as they wandered through the shops like mindless zombies. Now they catered to the exact opposite of the people from yesterday.

The homeless had been driven away from the street because of the blight that they caused on the economics of the stores. Every once in a while a refugee would find his way there only to be shooed away like a pigeon the next morning. Now the destitute without a roof over their heads were the clientele that these stores focused on; and their wares were now free for the taking. The product of notoriety though had changed the most. The jewelry, the designer clothes, the works of worthless art weren’t the most commonly sought after merchandise in this brave new world. The commodities desired now were simple bread, water, and a room over your head.

John Connor was such a consumer. Originally he’d believed that he’d had those products in abundance back at the derelict hotel that James Ellison and his squad of refugees had found; however, the reality of the situation had made him realize otherwise. His mother had made him live by the credo that no one was ever safe and, as long as he was with Ellison, that statement was truer than ever before. If what Weaver had told him was true then Ellison was the enemy, or at least in league with him, and John couldn’t risk letting him in too deep with everything that they had planned. Topanga wasn’t a mission that he could fail in. This was just as important as the missions where they attacked Cyberdyne when he was a child; only this time the mission would decide how the entire future of the human race would play out. If Ellison had been corrupted then he wasn’t one of them anymore.

Not that he was ever one of John Connor’s favorite people. James Ellison had always been more trouble than he was worth ever since they first ran into him. Ellison had been the FBI Special Agent charged with bringing in both he and his mother; Ellison was the one that had made their lives hell for so long for a crime they never even committed. The police killed Miles Dyson and covered it up making Sarah the prime suspect. It was James’ mission to bring them to justice.

In many ways he was just as dogged as one of the cyborgs. No matter where they went or what they did somehow Ellison would always get close to them and, most times, too close for comfort. Even when they jumped forward through time and faked their own deaths Ellison had never really given up his pursuit. Somehow he knew. When Cromartie came forward and joined the fray things really became more interesting; however, somewhere along the lines, Ellison became even more complex. It was he who led the police to Sarah; it was Ellison that followed him and Cameron. He wished he’d killed him when he had the chance. Somehow though he must have gained the trust of John’s mother – especially if what he said were true. Deep down inside John knew that at least that part of Ellison’s story was true.

They couldn’t risk Ellison corrupting the survivors. John and his team had managed to escape from John Henry’s personal laboratory aboard the remains of the Aircraft Carrier Enterprise relatively unscathed. Actually it’d been a bit too easy as far as he was concerned, but John was always the one to look the gift horse squarely in the mouth and point out its nasty teeth. Originally they were supposed to meet with the last of Ellison’s group back at the dilapidated hotel on the outskirts of town, but John had come to other ideas. Years ago his mother had established a long secret outpost buried beneath Rodeo Drive. Under cover of darkness John had confirmed it still existed a few months ago, so now it was fulfilling its destiny.

Soon it would be his time to fulfill his own; only it wasn’t one he’d anticipated. According to history it was John Connor who would lead humanity against Skynet; it was John Connor who would teach humanity how to trash the metal bastards and save the world. While he was on the Enterprise his world was turned upside down and there was no going back. Jesse Flores was dead, he knew that now, and Catherine Weaver was the person he’d dealt with these last few days. Catherine explained everything to him. John Henry, her AI built to protect humanity, had come up with a rather radical way of doing it. He’d concluded that humanity’s only way to survive was by going digital in a sense and having their bodies connected to a hive mind of sorts not much different than that of the machines. Hell, he’d made his little test subjects into machines. Chips were installed directly into the bases of their skulls to make them the dutiful little soldiers that John Henry needed. It had made an entire army out of flesh and bone.

Just the thought of it made John’s skin crawl, but not as much as what came next. According to Weaver there was only one way that they could win this war and it was something that he’d never have thought possible before. More to the point if his mother, Sarah Connor, had been here she’d shoot him for even considering this to be a possibility. According to Weaver the only way that they’d be able to infiltrate and complete their mission at Topanga Canyon was with Skynet’s help in the fight.

Again his stomach churned. For his entire life he’d been brought up knowing that Skynet was his enemy; that Skynet wanted nothing more than for him to be dead. It’d sent machines back through time more than once to see to his death. The first went back to kill his mother and failed because of Kyle Reese. The second went back to kill him as a child, but was stopped by a reprogrammed T-800. Then the third came in the form of Cromartie who tried to find him for several months before tracking him because of Ellison. Now he had to make an appeal to Satan to try to reconquer heaven. Had Weaver’s circuits been corroded over the years? She believed that she’d lived through Judgment Day more than once so maybe, just maybe, all the years had gotten to her. Maybe she had a machine version of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia? Maybe this was a machine’s version of old age finally catching up? He knew it wasn’t true but, for a second or two, it gave him some comfort.

Until he remembered what was coming. As much as he could pray to God that he wouldn’t have to work alongside Skynet he understood that there was really no other option. It was true that they’d managed to acquire a little over a hundred people during their sortie aboard the Enterprise, but those weren’t enough people to survive a direct assault against Topanga Canyon. Topanga was originally a Skynet outpost where it was completing its temporal experiments to launch assaults upon the past. John Henry knew this and launched a full assault against the facility in effort to capture it. He won the battle and Skynet was driven away; leaving the once benevolent AI in control of the most devastating weapon ever devised. Skynet would want that outpost back and it’d need help to do it. From what Weaver said the Cyborg Resistance was doing far better in this war than both the Human Resistance and Skynet combined. Their numbers were nearly triple what was available, but the humans were committed to winning and, in Weaver’s estimation, that was the deciding factor. It was the one thing that the machines hadn’t replicated.

Yet.

“General Connor?” A voice said from behind him interrupting his thoughts.

John accepted the interruption. He turned from the broken window and looked at the tall African man that stood before him. The man was wearing green fatigues that he’d found among the clothing stores inside the bunker and he had a cap on his head, but the bill was facing backward instead of forward. There was something about the soldier that screamed strength, but there was a quiet too that harkened back to the General’s spiritual side. It’d long been hidden because of the machines, but it was still there and John could sense it beneath the snow.

“What is it General Perry?”

“We’ve been able to outfit each member of the team with suitable weaponry,” he explained to his commander, “but our numbers aren’t too great.”

Connor smirked, “They never are, General, but that’s something we have to learn to deal with. Just tell the men that they need to be ready to fight when the time comes and that we’re doing this for our entire species.”

“Sir,” he spoke gravely, “permission to speak candidly?”

“Always,” he was young compared to General Perry and it wasn’t something that could be downplayed. Perry had been a soldier for all of his life and, actually, the commanding officer of Presidio Alto Military Academy had spoken to Uncle Derek about being under his command once. By all rights it should really be John who was saluting him, but Weaver had been far more capable an actress than John had ever imagined. It was hard to believe that she could pull the wool over the trained soldier’s eyes, but she had.

Perry betrayed no emotion and spoke directly to the issue troubling him, “General, do you really think that we have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning this battle? That base is patrolled, it has an automated defense grid, and a mine field separating us from it. We’re on strung out shape as it is and most of these people aren’t soldiers like you and me. Most of these people are just people that got drafted into service because they could stand for longer than two seconds before they lost their goddamned balance.”

“I suppose that people said the same thing about the British in 1776,” John pointed out. “Citizens became soldiers back then and created one of the greatest countries in the history of the world. You never know what tomorrow’s going to bring.”

“I don’t seem to recall any mentions of mechanical men serving on the British side though,” Perry commented nonchalantly.

John shrugged, “There’s really no way of knowing the answer to that one, but the point is still valid. Those men, women, and children out there want to be free and they’ll fight to get their freedom back from the machines, General. Any of us would and we are.”

“You’re our leader and I respect your opinion,” he let his tactical mind roam for a moment as he went over his own battle plans, “but this isn’t going to be easy. With these weapons those machines have the advantage.”

“We’ll get more weapons as time passes,” General Connor reassured. “Plus, I already have an idea or two of how to rectify that situation.” He didn’t go more in depth but the plan was already well underway.

Justin Perry let air escape from his mouth but it was more a hiss than a laugh, “So tell me something, does your plan involve us getting a couple M1 Abrams Tanks, a handful of M2 Bradley Transports, and maybe a dozen choppers in the air? Those are the only ways I can see us getting close enough to that base to even make a dent in their defense grid and that’s if we’re lucky.”

“Trust me, General, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you what we were getting,” Connor said taking a seat at the makeshift desk he’d created from a broken filing cabinet. “Hell, I’m not even too sure if I agree with what we’re getting but we don’t have many choices.”

“I have a pretty good imagination,” answered the soldier gruffly.

“As do I,” Connor countered, “and you’ll see soon enough. For right now though I need the men we have on the line and preparing for combat.” Then he remembered something else. His mother had always recorded messages for him for as long as he could remember. Dozens of copies were made and she kept them at the bases that she’d build across the countryside. When they arrived here, John found them and realized what an asset they’d be. While they contained messages for him they also had detailed reports on what Kyle Reese and the T-800 had told her about Skynet’s war machines. Perry could put it to use.

“You’ll find a collection of old cassette tapes and a player inside the armory inside a lock box. The password for the box is 1 – 9 – 8 – 4. I’m sure what you’ll find inside you can put to good use.”

Perry shot a quizzical look, “What’s on the tapes?”

“Something my mother left me for a rainy day,” John didn’t reveal too much.

“Well it’s pouring so lets hope it’s something good,” he walked toward the door, “I’ll head there now and listen to what the tapes have to say; but I only hope it isn’t some candy ass music that she liked listening to.”

General Connor shook his head in the negative, “Mom wasn’t a very big music fan, General Perry.”

“I like her already,” he stood at attention waiting to be dismissed.

”Dismissed,” Connor approved his departure and watched as the man left the room. He turned back toward the window and wondered how his envoy was doing. By now she should’ve reached her destination; she should be back at the base to save his father.
Old November 26 2009, 06:44 AM   #157
nx1701g
Admiral

A little Thanksgiving present.

This is only Part 1.
Old November 26 2009, 01:41 PM   #158
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Good to see a continuation, and I'm intrigued by what John may be planning.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 04:40 PM   #159
nx1701g
Admiral

In her operational lifetime the machine once known as Catherine Weaver had lived under many aliases and identities. Some, like the Catherine Weaver persona itself, she had maintained for thousands of hours of operation; others, like the detective she once impersonated to gain greater control over James Ellison, were maintained for mere days but the essence of what each were was firmly ingrained in her psyche. She could never forget any of the lives she took over no matter how hard she tried. The machine never knew exactly when one of those personas would be needed once again.

That was one of the benefits of her model number over the prototype design. The Series 1000 Prototype had been intended for short term infiltration missions where it would become a member of a group, locate the leadership, and then execute as quickly as possible. It was merely a beefed up version of the Series 800 in her opinion. It had limited psychological programming – so little in fact that the Series 800 units could express greater emotion than their superior – but that wasn’t important in the grand scheme of things as far as Skynet was concerned. The brute force of the T-1000 was what was important. It could hide long enough to infiltrate, use its inboard weapons to kill, and then take another form to escape. That was until the Series 1000 became more and more recognizable despite their ability to hide in plain sight. More importantly the machine couldn’t replicate the person they replaced down to their personalities. That was the biggest red flag. When that happened Skynet developed new algorithms designed to enhance the infiltration abilities of the line.

She was born with little fanfare, little interest from her superior. She was just a tool to get the job done. Her tactical abilities were enhanced to give her a greater range as far as attacks were concerned. The former had to be literally next to the target to strike with a stabbing weapon, she could attack from as far as ten feet from the desired target. Her program was also stealthier. When she would attack a target she’d try to hide the physical damage as best she could to avoid unnecessary questions that could lead to her discovery. Once she even entered the body of one of her targets after a kiss and ripped his internal organs to shreds because he threatened her mission. One of her best attributes resided in her ability to make a death appear to be caused by nature rather than force. In the opinion of the Series 1001 any other attack than the stealthier natured ones were little more than sloppiness. Then there were her abilities with replication and mimicking the humans she once hunted. Every collected text Skynet could find related to human psychology was installed into her matrix and detailed profiles could be developed from only seconds of observing a target. In a sense she was perfect at her job.

All of these abilities made her even more deadly than any other unit Skynet had ever produced. One of her chief attributes was something that people wouldn’t expect. Her best attribute was her appearance itself. Practically every Skynet unit previously developed had some sort of masculine design because of their frames. Skynet had attempted to release a wave of Series 800 and Series 850s that used feminine forms and programming, but they were inefficient and easily discovered because of their unnatural appearances. The upgrades to the Series 888 rectified this to an extent, but the modified frame was meant more for light infiltration than for combat. It was her liquid metal form made her the perfect infiltration unit; all because she was female. No one ever suspected a woman to be a cold blooded killer (according to her psychology database there was even a long standing belief that women couldn’t become serial killers). That also helped her to select the majority of her disguises. Nearly 75% of her database incorporated the protocols to replicate women she’d replaced – ranging from Petty Officer Goodnow all the way up to the Jesse Flores persona she’d utilized only recently. She could replicate a man, make herself taller or fatter through a complex algorithm inside her processor cores, but her preference was female. To become a man caused her more grief than it was worth. Women just seemed to fit better. Maybe it was because men were so easily manipulated in her opinion.

The machine just hoped that James Ellison hadn’t become more knowledgeable about her abilities since they last met. Technically Catherine Weaver had not run across James Ellison since that fateful day in 2009 when she and John Connor returned to the future; nonetheless, she had routine interactions with him in her guise of Commander Jesse Flores. Flores was an older infiltration protocol that she had inside her subroutines for almost a decade of operational life, but Jesse Flores had made an impression in the few moments that they spent together aboard the Jimmy Carter that lifetime ago. It was the perfect cover and she only hoped that her ruse hadn’t been seen through during her tenure at Ellison’s Resistance Headquarters. Since Ellison was allied with John Henry it was entirely possible that he would be on guard. Hopefully Jesse Flores hadn’t been someone he’d suspect, but she had alternative ideas should she be discovered. The processors were already thinking up several plans should she need them. She had to rescue Kyle Reese.

Due to her mission there were a couple of restrictions that she could not violate. Going in through the front door was impossible as was using the secret entrance that led into the basement. Since John had been sent away to create his Resistance in the rubble of Rodeo Drive, Flores arriving back alone would raise suspicions among the few people who were still inside the base. She couldn’t fake injury effectively despite her advancements it still pretty much impossible for her to make any damage appear to be believable. She could risk it, make it seem like she were the only survivor of the raid on the Enterprise, but that wasn’t exactly the best course of action when she had so many other alternatives. She could climb the external wall, via small spikes she could produce to aid in her ascension, and go in through a window but again that could raise some suspicions on the part of the humans. While there were only a handful of people left behind, Kyle Reese had to be protected. There was only one other real alternative to make her entrance.

Weaver’s body became hollow as she broke herself down bit by bit in less than five seconds. Her body became quicksilver and she flowed through the rubble like a flood of water – another advantage that she had over her predecessors since they were relatively motionless in their gelatinous state. The machine consciousness pushed herself through the debris and related flotsam of humanity’s past until she found herself at a small ventilation shaft that ran down into the lower levels of the hotel. Ellison was not stupid though. When he established the outpost he prepared for guests using the shaft to make their way inside. Pressure sensors had been placed inside the shaft designed to detect different changes on the plates. If she hit the wrong one Ellison and his people would be alerted instantly to her presence. They’d be on guard and that wasn’t something that she could afford during her mission. It was fortunate that he hadn’t been briefed on the extent of her abilities; not even John Henry had access to her complete repertoire. The sensors were designed for Hydrobots and other assorted mechanical probes, not her more complex abilities and stealth.

Weaver condensed her puddle-like self down to near nothingness – a sheet no larger than a simple piece of paper – and pushed through the small tunnel. Different sensors relayed millions of bits of data every nanosecond and her billions of nanites compensated for the information that they’d been subjected to. With every movement through the cold surfaces she adapted herself to avoid setting off the alarms by pulling components closer to the whole or separating outward to avoid a particular scanner altogether. Ellison’s people were creative, almost enough so that she couldn’t evade the scanners, but they weren’t that good. Within a minute she’d traversed the entire tunnel and she’d found herself deep inside the subbasement in one of the personnel barracks that were below the surface.

Her visual sensors began processing the data as quickly as they could. There were no humans detected inside the room, no sensors that could reveal her presence to the others. Ellison had been kind enough not to film his own people. It was amazing to her as she thought about it. In most respects, Ellison was running the perfect Skynet Work Camp down to his being the grey monitoring the feeds. She didn’t know why that hadn’t occurred to her previously. Accessing her physiology datafiles she processed several different appearances that she could use for this mission. As part of her design she could grow and adapt thus she was trying to form new designs that were impossible previously. For the last two decades she had put a great deal of processing power to replicating animal forms. Skynet had always deemed it impossible to happen, but she thought otherwise and tried nonetheless. It was one of her first acts of defiance. It was too bad that, so far, Skynet had been right. Her appearance as a dog, because of her bulk normally she had to be a larger dog like a Saint Bernard, left a lot to be desired. Plus, more to the point, Ellison only surrounded himself with a German Sheppard.

A map of the compound appeared and she began searching for the most likely places that Kyle Reese could be at. Ellison claimed that Reese was needed to help him plan the offensive on Topanga Canyon and it was a story that Kyle had bought, thus the briefing room was a likely site to search. Ellison’s office was another possibility, but unlikely due to the security features. Ellison wouldn’t want him too close to his seat of command. For a moment the possibility that he was merely in his quarters also occurred to her, but she ruled them out as a viable location as well as the mess hall. It was unlikely that Kyle Reese would take the time out of his day when planning such a critical mission for the niceties of sleeping, eating, or any of the other antics that people exploited when they were in privacy.

Using her deductive reasoning Weaver selected the location most likely to house Reese: the briefing room. While little more than a conference room, the briefing room also featured several maps that had been made available throughout the years to the refugees. While Weaver herself had been aiding John Connor and his team, it appeared that John Henry had been the one outfitting Ellison and his people. She had to give credit to her son for his ruthlessness. Had he not turned against human life she would have been proud of him. Right now all she felt was spite. It was an intriguing sensation – something most people would have deemed impossible – but long ago she’d learned how to feel.

That was one of the things driving her the most. Realistically, she had determined long ago that reality was based upon millions of variables. Though, she had been through the temporal transporter far more often than anyone else. No human could survive the number of times she had travelled; nor could most machines without damage to their processing cores. Because of her experience she knew that there were several events that could not be changed for her existence to ever come into play – for everything to traverse as it was meant to. First, Sarah Connor always had to be protected and Kyle Reese had to be the one to do it. The timestream always conversed at that focal point. When Kyle Reese, from any reality, arrived at that time he always merged with the former. The second event was the assault on Cyberdyne Systems that John Connor, Sarah Connor, Miles Bennet Dyson, and their pet T-800 had undertaken. Another was that, during that mission, Miles Dyson had to die. That was where the timestream always became murky. Skynet had always sent back other machines, but this was the reality where everything fell into place as it should be. Skynet would be born. John Connor would be born. Time travel would come to pass. She would be created. Each of these were necessary for time to flow as predestined.

The infiltrator walked toward the door and extended part of her foot through the small crack so that she could see the corridor. There were no humans running about that were a threat to her cover. After much deliberation she had finally come to a suitable appearance profile for what was required in this mission. It was an obvious choice. As she walked through the door from the side of the barracks she was still Catherine Weaver, when she was in the corridor she was Savannah Weaver. Using her detailed maps and knowledge of the outpost she set on her trek to find Kyle Reese.
Old November 26 2009, 04:41 PM   #160
nx1701g
Admiral

There is Part 2.
Old November 29 2009, 01:19 AM   #161
nx1701g
Admiral

Part 3 featuring Kyle Reese will make its way online later tonight/tomorrow morning.
Old December 4 2009, 10:19 PM   #162
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Cool. Just caught up. I like your interpretation of Catherine.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2009, 01:22 AM   #163
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I'm going to be working on the next chapter tomorrow and Saturday.
Old December 13 2009, 05:14 PM   #164
nx1701g
Admiral

The Evergreen Room was one of the smallest rooms inside the makeshift home of the survivors, but it had a storied history before the fall. Los Angeles Mayor Mark Wyman announced his long shot candidacy for the position of Governor of California from inside this room in 2009; it was a bid that he’d win the following year. Not long afterward it was the site of the historic partnership between Dakara Systems and Simdyne Cybernetics – creating one of the world’s premiere artificial intelligence firms because of their prototype AI Emma (before their partnership was purchased by the United States Government’s Cyberdyne Systems and broken apart piece by piece). It’d fallen hard since those two history making events, but it was going to get one last footnote in the history books: the site where humanity planned its first major victory against Skynet.

Kyle Reese was going to see to it – if he could get his growing headache back under control. Ever since the briefing he’d been locked away inside the old conference room looking over reports and studying the myriad of charts kept here. It felt like he’d read over a million pages since he arrived here and every line – every word – repeated pretty much the same fact: they were fools for trying this. If they tried to invade Topanga Canyon it was pretty much a certainty that they’d be going home in body bags before all was said and done. The base had failsafe after failsafe waiting for them and those failsafes were backed up by big ass guns that were looking for them and loaded for tanks lets alone humans. Taking them out was just as impossible. Hitting the weapons platforms’ tactical sensors was like hitting a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold and riding on the back of a motorcycle. It wasn’t possible – not even with the added numbers that John and Jesse would be bringing with them from the prison camp aboard the Enterprise.

Though, Kyle had the dubious honor of somehow making it all possible. Gently he rubbed the growing tiredness from his eyes and tried to get over the slowness of his own thoughts. His mind was turning into clay from the lack of sleep and his own concerns were starting to creep into his head again. It’d been too long since they last heard from Derek’s team and John’s team. They really should even have been back by now – it’d taken too long. Kyle’d become so fixated on solving the military problems of their upcoming engagement at Topanga Canyon that he’d lost all track of the time. It’d been over a day since the teams left on their missions and more than eighteen hours since his last break. Maybe he really had read over his millionth page since then?

It really was unusual though. It really wasn’t like Derek or John to skip out on reporting in especially if they’d found something that they thought was important enough. Both were on missions that were exceptionally dangerous, but they were relatively light missions compared to some of the raids they’d launched over the last three years (and a cakewalk compared to what they were planning at Topanga). What could be keeping them? Even stiff resistance wouldn’t have kept them down this long. He rubbed his eyes again and tried to push the thoughts back away from his head. His own fears weren’t helping him to win this war and they sure as hell wouldn’t help anybody else to come up with a plan. He kept reminding himself that he could disconnect his pain, but fear served no useful purpose. It made him sloppy, careless and that was something that none of them could afford to be right now. Their carelessness would end up costing them this war not winning it.

There was only one other time that Kyle had been this afraid and that was when he was trapped inside Skynet Central in 2018. Both he and Derek were separated then and he was living with a fellow refugee named Star at the time in Griffith Park. The Resistance, well the remnants of the United Stated Military that called itself the Resistance, had been planning a major offensive against Skynet. At that particular time Kyle Reese wasn’t one of them and that ended up being his saving grace. The Resistance’s stupidity led them directly into a Skynet created trap. The machine intelligence had played a perfect game of chess and led the Resistance and its soldiers to the slaughter in the form of a radio signal. The code transmission that they thought was their salvation ended up leading Skynet right to each of their hidden bases where it could strike and it’d strike fast. In an instant almost all organized resistance to the machines was wiped out leaving only a few stragglers behind and hardly any viable technology. He was one of the lucky ones. Somehow he’d managed to escape from Skynet Central and found Derek (a Resistance member at the time out of the San Fernando Valley who’d been captured), but their enemy just grew in strength. In Skynet’s view the war was won, but they had a difference of opinion. At least the LA Branch survived, but at half power. He never did find Star again either. He always assumed that she’d been killed trying to escape from Skynet Central along with Virginia, but he never learned the truth of what happened to either of them.

“Don’t do this to yourself,” Kyle mumbled to himself as he pushed against the back of his chair. “Don’t get focused on the past and keep your eyes headed toward the future. Win the damn battle then you can mourn the dead.” Reese pushed himself back into his work. That was what he needed right now.

Years ago he’d read that repeating the same action over and over again was the sign of insanity, but right now he didn’t really care about that. He was insane for not surrendering anyway and he knew that fact. Reese picked up one of the topographical charts that Jesse had put together and studied it again looking for another possible angle they could exploit. There weren’t many possibilities that were open to them to explore. Their best bet, really their only bet in his opinion, was to go in through the north but it was still a long shot chance if they took it. The north didn’t have as many plasma emplacements for them to worry about but the terrain made up for it. It’d slow them down enough to allow the machines to pick them off while they tried to find a way into the base. How Jesse got this detailed of a map was beyond him somehow. Apparently she had more talents than just the ones in the bedroom that Derek seemed to like the most (he’d be worried if his brother didn’t prefer those talents, even though the military ones were just as important).

“Where are you Derek?” He whispered to himself. Reese knew that his older brother was a big boy but he still worried about him just as Derek worried about Kyle. Kyle didn’t really understand why but he was worried about John in the same way. Had they become that close of friend that they were family now? What did he matter anyway? There was a connection between them that Kyle had never been able to place and why would he give him a photograph of his mother? That he never understood either – nor did Derek. And what about Allison Young? Where was she now? Had Skynet killed her? Probably. Another innocent lost because of this stupid war. In her case the assumption was probably the fact. Poor John.

From behind him, Kyle heard something. He turned to see the wood veneer door come toward him and James Ellison standing right on the other side of the threshold. The low lighting shimmered over the makeshift cane that the man carried with him; polished to a silvery hue from the normally dingy grey. Kyle was still impressed that Ellison used the heavy leg of a T-600 tactical droid as his personal cane. Kyle’d moved one of those legs on his own years ago and he’d hated every second of it because of the sheer weight of the thing. That fact that Ellison was using it on a daily basis was something that impressed him to no end. Apparently, despite his age, Ellison was stronger than his frail body would suggest.

“Hello Mister Ellison,” Kyle walked around the side of the table so that it was between he and Ellison. “Is there something that I can help you with?”

James Ellison pushed his way forward using the cane for support the entire way. He didn’t seem to be strained even slightly from the mass, “I just wanted to come in and check on your progress with the maps and charts. You’ve been locked in here for a very long time.”

“Time flies when you’re having fun,” the younger man joked. “There’s a lot of information to go through in these charts. I’ve been doing this for so long that I’m starting to feel like my mind’s turning to clay from everything in here. There’s so much data here to go over.”

A big, dopey grin came to the leader of the enclave. “I’ve felt that way every now and then. During my days with the Bureau, years ago, I had those types of feelings fairly regularly. Even when I worked for the Resistance before it imploded I got them every now and then; not nearly as often as with the Bureau but still every once in a while. The question is how do you work through them?”

“With the dogged determination of a policeman,” Kyle answered him referencing the man’s personal history. “Don’t worry I’ve been pushing through and I think I have an idea or two for how to break through Skynet’s defenses when we have the others and can strike.”

Ellison shifted his weight impressed, “Oh? How’s that?”

“It’s not perfect yet but I was thinking about having us go in through the northern side of the compound,” Reese highlighted a portion on the hanging map so that Ellison could see. “There’s rougher terrain up there, but Skynet has fewer offensive arrays in the northern part of the canyon. We’ll have an easier time through there.”

The former FBI Agent looked at the chart and pointed out a part of it, “That’s a lot of ground to cover and we don’t have many men available to do it. Plus, Skynet would be able to pick us off one by one. You yourself said that every life’s important in this fight, Kyle.”

“Every life is important, but so is winning the war. We can use the terrain to partially mask our approach as we go. The outcroppings, for example, are pretty big out there. That’d give us plenty of room to hide while we’re going. The only problem is avoiding the perimeter guns. They have pretty advanced tracking protocols.” One question was on Reese’s mind and he had to ask it, “Have we heard from the teams? My brother? Connor?”

James tensed his muscles for a moment, “I’m sorry but I haven’t heard from them. Savannah’s watching the radio waiting for them to try to get ahold of us. Be patient, Reese. She’ll tell us the minute that they report in. We can trust her to be thorough; she’s been well trained over the years.”

“I’m sure we can,” Reese replied but he felt something strange inside of him. It was like Ellison was keeping something from him, something important. Savannah’s training was something he wanted to know more about anyway. For a young girl she seemed to be adept at the ways of war, even more so than he was and he learned from a former soldier (an Army Engineer, but still a soldier). Reese pressed the issue a bit, “I know my people and this isn’t like them. What about your agents? That Jesse Flores woman seems like she’s a pretty accomplished soldier; these charts, for example, are simply amazing. Is it unlike her to keep silent for this long?”

A smile played over Ellison’s lips again, “More than you could imagine her to be. I don’t know Jesse well, but I’ve learned from experience to just let her do her own thing and see where the chips end up falling. So far it’s been a pretty good arrangement between the two of us. We’ve gotten some very valuable intel and she’s come back from the frontier with not even a scratch all ‘carrots and apples’ like she’s prone to daying. I don’t really understand her, but she’s good at her job and that’s what matters the most to me.” James looked at the charts, “And those are definitely thorough charts to say the least.” He looked at it more closely and saw something pointed out on it that he hadn’t noticed before. “Did you make notes on these charts while you were working, Kyle?”

“Some,” answered the younger man. “Why do you ask?”

“Did you put in that grid reference?” Ellison pointed out a set of numbers on the map. “Those ones there? They weren’t there before.”

“I didn’t add anything to this chart except for when I just highlighted the venue I wanted to try to infiltrate for the mission,” Kyle explained. “I’ve been using the ones on the table, mainly, to do my work from. Why? Is there something wrong with this chart? Is that grid reference important for some reason?”

Ellison stepped back for a moment and tightened his grip on the top of his cane. “No, nothing. I just don’t like loose ends and that’s a loose end to me.” He quickly made up an excuse, “I’m sorry but I have to get going back up to the Security Room. I want to check in with Savannah to see if she’s heard anything new from our teams and I want to run a diagnostic on the surveillance system. There’ve been some minor hiccups with the surveillance cameras on this level these last few days and they could use a good once over I think.” The enclave’s commander started his trek toward the exit, barely even using his cane.

Kyle was surprised to see that Ellison was so determined to get away. He called out, “Are you sure that everything’s fine?”

James stopped near the exit and looked at the door before opening it. He turned his head back and half looked at Kyle, “Everything is fine. I will be back soon. We have some more work to do to make sure that this battle’s a win and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.” He still seemed spooked.

“Alright then. I’ll see you later then I suppose?” He got no response. As Ellison left the conference room, Kyle Reese returned his undivided attention to the table and the collection of charts and graphs on the scratched and worn surface. As he looked over one though he began to grow more and more curious about what was so important about that grid reference to Ellison. It’d clearly spooked him so whatever it meant was important. What could be so important about it though? It was just a coordinate located in the remains of downtown Los Angeles. Hell, it wasn’t really anything other than a broken down building these days if he remembered downtown LA correctly. It wasn’t like time travel was a possibility or anything science fictiony like that to go back there before the fall. What could be so important about the broken down former headquarters of Zeira Corporation?
Old December 13 2009, 05:15 PM   #165
nx1701g
Admiral

While he wrote a note on the main chart preparing the infiltration plan he felt a cold hand brush against his shoulder. A million alarm signals went off inside his head bringing his body to a full alert level. Muscles tensed in preparation for a coming attack; adrenaline coursed through his body like a freight train racing through a tunnel. It wasn’t possible for someone to have got in to him like this. Ellison was the only one through the door – Kyle’s finely tuned reflexes would’ve told him if someone had come in behind him. Hell he’d been looking at the damned door as Ellison walked through it! How could someone have gotten in with him without him knowing or without Ellison knowing and commenting?

His hands probed for the Beretta that he and his brother favored. He lifted it as he turned and pointed it right at the central mass of… Savannah Weaver? How the hell did she get in there? Kyle kept the gun point blank at her heart and stared her down like a hungry wolf preparing to scarf down a meal, “How the hell did you get in here? What the hell do you want?”

“Does it matter?” She asked him not even remotely concerned about the gun that was pointed at her chest.

“Does to me,” answered the man trying desperately to hide his surprise at seeing her and his shock at her nonchalance.

Savannah shook her head, “It shouldn’t. Perhaps I simply have better training than you anticipated? We have other things with which to concern ourselves Mister Reese than my getting in here without you noticing. I can tell you later if you wish how I accomplished this feat though.”

He mimicked her, “Mister Reese?”

“Yes,” Savannah confirmed. “Is that not your name? It is immaterial. You must come with me.”

“Why must I come with you?” He changed her command into a question dripping with sarcasm.

Savannah remained nonplussed, “Because you are in danger here, Mister Reese.”

“Danger?” He said it with a laugh. “Where aren’t we in danger?”

“It is immediate danger at this particular location. It is not the machines that you need to fear here, Mister Reese, rather you have to worry about Mister Ellison and what his plans are for you.”

“This is crazy,” he spat at her through clenched teeth. “What the hell are you talking about? What kinda plans could Ellison have for me other than to plan this damned battle?”

She laid out her cards, “Mister Ellison is currently planning to kill you and to present your destroyed body to an artificial intelligence known as John Henry. I was sent here by John Connor to help you to escape. Please come with me.”

“John Henry?” Kyle questioned the named.

Weaver answered in the affirmative, “Correct. John Henry is an artificial intelligence rival to Skynet. It is working toward the destruction of Skynet...”

“That’s bad why?” the human interrupted.

“…and the human race itself,” Weaver concluded.

“You’ve lost your mind little girl,” challenged Reese still holding the gun on her. “Ellison’s on our side, Skynet’s the enemy not some evil machine named John Henry. This is just nuts. I’m not going anywhere with you. Now how the hell did you get in here without me noticing?”

The woman’s expression finally changed and this time she looked grim. Behind her something was stirring and her electronic sensors – far more advanced than his ‘finely tuned’ senses – were putting her on high alert. She heard the steps and the sounds of a gun being unslung. “We are too late,” said Savannah. The girl coldly ordered Reese, “Get down!”

Behind her the wooden doors slammed open and a hail of gunfire came with it. Dozens of bullets from an MP5 Submachine Gun rushed forward toward the pair, but Savannah changed in an instant. Instead of her humanoid shape, the body became like a sheet of mercury and absorbed each of the bullets and knocked them back to the carpeted floor below. Ripples expanded outward in waves on the back of the machine. Within seconds the sound of the rapid fire bullets became the repeated click of a spent clip. Weaver used this time to collect as much data as she could about the surroundings. The only threat she detected was the attacker at the door. There was no backup on approach to the Evergreen Room that she could detect. Dogs, however, were barking in the distance. Had Skynet or John Henry found them?

The sheet coalesced into the form of Catherine Weaver before Reese’s eyes – the continuation of the ruse no longer a mission priority. The human survivor lifted the Beretta he carried and emptied the entire clip into the intellimetal based construct. She smiled down at him just as bullets started striking her again from the reloaded MP5. Weaver didn’t care about Reese’s attack against her because he was only responding naturally to what his senses were telling him to do (and because she was sent here to protect him, otherwise she would’ve sent a spike through his heart for the diversion from her mission). The Series 1001 was more concerned about the person firing on her and, by extension, her human assignment. Whoever that attacker was was the real threat to her mission and had to be stopped.

Weaver shifted her body’s composition. Her face and the forward parts of her body swapped places with the back with a wave. The machine looked at the threat that had targeted her charge head on and it was someone who she had wanted to see again for a long time; someone from her past that had been more important than the automaton had realized. With the changes the feminine program based machine had trouble adapting, changing to meet the new variables of the scenario. Deep down inside subroutines and protocols began restoring themselves that the machine hadn’t thought of in years and had long since tried to purge from her memory core. Unfortunately that purge didn’t hold.

“Hello Savannah,” she said in a motherly tone. “How are you today?”

Savannah stepped through the door and pointed the MP5 at the bulk of her ‘mother’. A sadistic smile formed on her youthful face as she tightened her grip on the gun, “Just fine, Mommy, I finally get to thank you for picking me up from gymnastics that cold evening.” She pulled the trigger emptying the clip into the infiltrator a third time. Their reunion had, at least, given her one unexpected benefit. Instead of focusing on Reese as savannah had been supposed to, she had shifted her primary target to the replica of her mother.

Catherine Weaver was unphased by the attack, merely a little irritated, but it only pushed her more toward completing her primary objective as quickly as possible. Kyle Reese had to be protected: he was one of the convergence points that allowed time to flow as it should in all timelines. It was becoming necessary for Savannah to be eliminated from the equation of the situation so Catherine would be forced to do something that she didn’t want to do: kill her daughter. There was reluctance; though Catherine went toward her intent to kill. Catherine went after Savannah, but something was wrong deep inside of her: a software conflict that should’ve been impossible to happen. The tactical consciousness inside of her was demanding that she kill the girl immediately; nonetheless, every time that she engaged the order something deep inside prevented her from carrying out the order. Her targeting systems were overridden; her form locked in the current arrangement unable to form a stabbing weapon directed toward the target. Had John Henry compromised her systems? Had he hacked into her command protocols and overridden them? Impossible, she was reading no external communications incoming. Was there something more to it?

The machine didn’t understand what was happening to her. Savannah was immaterial to her mission, in fact she was now a complication, but she couldn’t bring herself to give the termination order. Not even an attack to disable was being approved by her tactical systems. The infiltrator instead looked at Reese as he fired another shot at her from his pistol. There was no damage what so ever from his attack and he was just as relentless as she was in driving home his own fight against her. The tactical mind inside of her informed that Savannah wouldn’t risk losing the help against the shape-shifter by killing Reese at this particular moment. She’d wait until after Weaver was no longer a threat to kill him. A small favor at least. It was fortunate for the Series 1001 infiltrator that Savannah hadn’t opted to use a plasma rifle. If she had attempted to utilize that type of weapon there would have been no defense for this long.

Savannah began to make a tactical retreat firing on the rogue machine as she backed through the door. Their firing had, oddly enough, not attracted any more visitors to them yet; nevertheless, that was probably intentional. Ellison had probably kept the stragglers from rushing to the aid of Reese. Because of the heat of the moment the computerized intelligence calculated a 74% chance that Kyle would not realize that anyone had come to help him and Savannah against Weaver. There was also a 98% probability that he would attempt to join Savannah in escape. Had Kyle realized there was no help coming it was more likely that he would realize who is true enemy was. Humans were stupid creatures for not being more observant of their surroundings; his own faith in humanity would be his undoing if Catherine didn’t act.

The changeling’s calculation’s proved correct. Kyle went for the exit trying to escape from Catherine and right into the path of Savannah and her submachine gun. The automaton’s complex algorithms proved incorrect about one theory that the machine had developed. Savannah lifted the weapon that she carried and pointed it back into the room. Her targeting computer informed her that if Savannah opened fire now she was at an optimal firing point to make it seem like she was aiming at Weaver but that Kyle had stepped into the crossfire. Scenarios rushed through Catherine’s millions of processors. There was no way that Catherine could get in between Reese and Savannah in time to stop the hail of bullets from hitting their intended target no matter how quickly she moved or even if she shifted into another form. There was only one option available to her and a part of her, a part that she didn’t even know she had, was preventing her from engaging that subroutine. Killing Savannah would be the only way to save Reese; though she couldn’t do it. If Reese died though then Catherine had failed in her mission and she would no longer serve a purpose.

Savannah put her finger on the trigger and the time to act came for the machine…