Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old July 28 2009, 09:01 AM   #16
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain
Re: Star Trek: DS9--Of Power And Passion, A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

I have to say a very interesting short. Glad I'm in the middle of reading The Soul Key before I got on here to check on updates on various things. But I like this story so far. I think its interesting how you used Joran to come back and talk to Ezri since she did bring him out in the first place during DS9's final season.

Would have been nice if there was a mention of this in the Destiny trilogy.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

As you asked, I've come to have a look! I found it very interesting; I like the idea of taking time for Dax to reflect on herself following the trauma of "Destiny". We didn't get to see much of her in the aftermath, so this was interesting, and a good look at how she's adapting to command, and developing an ever-increased wisdom about her status as a Joined Trill (the subconscious summoning of Joran to confront her shows a great maturity, in my eyes). Joran's own twisted take on Jadzia's actions was fascinating too. It's an interesting dynamic- but a logical one- to have former hosts essentially commenting on one another, relating to each other's actions in different ways that reflect their own biases, blurring the lines somewhat (Joran taking Jadzia's innocent behaviours and seeing them in light of a desire for simple power, his own mind's workings reinterpreting these experiences into his own worldview so to speak- but as his worldview is a part of Jadzia's and now Ezri's it makes it very complicated...) Is Joran really helping out as an integrated- if confrontational and hostile- part of Ezri, or is he just using Jadzia's memories and actions in support of his own drives and desires? Is he truly working as part of the Joined whole, or trying to usurp it? I've always assumed Joran- following his resurfacing and Jadzia's integrating him into her mind- would have had some influence. Maybe Jadzia needed the outlet- a way to have the power that wasn't harmful or base. I've always liked Jadzia, and this story actually gives me an impression of wisdom on her part, too. Overall, your story gives a sense of real complexity to the inner workings of the Joined mind. I found it very enjoyable.

As for the continuity, as you asked, I think you've got it all fine. Obviously, this being a fan-fic you've reinterpreted some of it and what it meant for Ezri, but I don't think you've gotten anything wrong. I think this slots into the continuity as the books have established it fine enough.
Old July 28 2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

As for the continuity, as you asked, I think you've got it all fine. Obviously, this being a fan-fic you've reinterpreted some of it and what it meant for Ezri, but I don't think you've gotten anything wrong. I think this slots into the continuity as the books have established it fine enough.
PHEW! What a relief! Thanks, mate!

I like this story so far. I think its interesting how you used Joran to come back and talk to Ezri since she did bring him out in the first place during DS9's final season.
Yup. That's actually, in part, why I did it--I wanted to have a kind of climax for the "battle of whits" that began in "Field of Fire". I liked how Ezri struggled to keep Joran from messing with her mind--and how Joran kept trying to make Ezri "admit" that "You are me!"--so I wanted to expand the clash, sans any "outside" situation (like the murder mystery of last time) to keep the two in check.

I found it very interesting; I like the idea of taking time for Dax to reflect on herself following the trauma of "Destiny". We didn't get to see much of her in the aftermath, so this was interesting, and a good look at how she's adapting to command, and developing an ever-increased wisdom about her status as a Joined Trill (the subconscious summoning of Joran to confront her shows a great maturity, in my eyes).
Yes--I'd thought about how someone like her would handle being in command of such a powerful vessel as the Aventine. While, in Destiny, she was very humble and insecure about carrying such a burden (When she arguably got it by accident), I'd think that, after she got used to the fact that she proved herself worthy of the command, she may at times find the pendulum swinging the other direction...to an overdone (albiet somewhat sexy) sense of confidence.

Probably, after this incident, she'll keep herself in the proper balance.

Joran's own twisted take on Jadzia's actions was fascinating too. It's an interesting dynamic- but a logical one- to have former hosts essentially commenting on one another, relating to each other's actions in different ways that reflect their own biases, blurring the lines somewhat (Joran taking Jadzia's innocent behaviours and seeing them in light of a desire for simple power, his own mind's workings reinterpreting these experiences into his own worldview so to speak- but as his worldview is a part of Jadzia's and now Ezri's it makes it very complicated...) Is Joran really helping out as an integrated- if confrontational and hostile- part of Ezri, or is he just using Jadzia's memories and actions in support of his own drives and desires? Is he truly working as part of the Joined whole, or trying to usurp it? I've always assumed Joran- following his resurfacing and Jadzia's integrating him into her mind- would have had some influence. Maybe Jadzia needed the outlet- a way to have the power that wasn't harmful or base. I've always liked Jadzia, and this story actually gives me an impression of wisdom on her part, too.
Yup. This element grew mostly out of my research on the differences between Jadzia and Ezri--how they interact with men, their respective conciousness of their attractiveness, How they handled Joran, etc.

Overall, your story gives a sense of real complexity to the inner workings of the Joined mind. I found it very enjoyable.
Thank you--thank you very much!

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 04:10 PM   #19
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

A good exploration of Ezri's mind. With it being a former Trill host come to visit her, ala Ghost of Christmas Past, I wasn't too sure just how Joran was manifesting himself. To my mind that aspect of the joined Trill was never fully explained on TV and I haven't read any books on it. But I do wonder just how much a former host can inform and 'think' with the current. I like the concept that they trade ideas and memories but with the current host siphoning through whatever is conjured up to make their own decisions based on their own personality and circumstances.

As to your own story, as CeJay commented you captured very effectively one long running piece of dialogue between two characters. Like CeJay was with the whole Borg collectivism bit and just why Ezri was thinking about that. The Borg as individuals and their sad fate and the Queen's power lust I suppose but the sideways path about collectivism jarred a little.

But it was a fascinating little jaunt into Ezri's mind. Especially the reflections on her relationship with Julian. In a way, I am kinda glad they broke up because I do think it is a little bit of a cheat that they got together with the ghost of Jadzia looming large over the relationship.

Likewise, the characterisation of Jadzia by Joran [and by default perhaps Ezri] is revealing too. Is that how she views Jadzia? Does she resent Jadzia for her ways and using men like that? Is it simply because it scuppered her chances with Julian?

I myself never thought there was anything cruel about Jadzia and her treatment of men. If anything, it helped to show a strong person who wasn't won over by men impressed by her beauty. Which IMHO is why she probably went more with Worf than Julian. Plus it was humorous to see the fellas made fools of so easily by her smile alone.

Anyway, a neat dialogue and a nice view shot of Ezri in the command chair. A position I'd not have imagined for her, especially so soon, but it did read right that she would reflect and question her posting as captain.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

A good exploration of Ezri's mind. With it being a former Trill host come to visit her, ala Ghost of Christmas Past, I wasn't too sure just how Joran was manifesting himself. To my mind that aspect of the joined Trill was never fully explained on TV and I haven't read any books on it. But I do wonder just how much a former host can inform and 'think' with the current. I like the concept that they trade ideas and memories but with the current host siphoning through whatever is conjured up to make their own decisions based on their own personality and circumstances.
I think a good example would be near the beginning of "Field of Fire", where Joran enters a dream sequence of Ezri's.

Of course, I made sure not to make this tale nearly as "surreal", so as not to really let the audience in on the fact that it's all a dream until the very end.

As to your own story, as CeJay commented you captured very effectively one long running piece of dialogue between two characters. [I'm] Like CeJay was with the whole Borg collectivism bit and just why Ezri was thinking about that. The Borg as individuals and their sad fate and the Queen's power lust I suppose but the sideways path about collectivism jarred a little.
My idea with that was that Joran was trying to engage in "small talk" with Ezri, for the purpose of looking for an opening in her armor that he could exploit. That, and the fact that I'd been itching to have an arch-villian in one of my tales speak in glowing terms about collectivism, which a hero of mine once condemned as "the focus of evil in the modern world...."

But it was a fascinating little jaunt into Ezri's mind. Especially the reflections on her relationship with Julian. In a way, I am kinda glad they broke up because I do think it is a little bit of a cheat that they got together with the ghost of Jadzia looming large over the relationship.
I wasn't glad, though--not at all. I felt that Mike and Andy, while awesome writers, really insulted the pair by tearing them apart. My view of the final season is that Ezri and Julian are so right for each other--like Jadzia was with Worf.

They fit together so well, and I felt that, somehow, whatever obstacle to their relationship they might face, they should be able to overcome, no matter how long it takes. That's how real-life relationships work. The overcoming of obstacles together strenghtens the bond, and prepares the couple for greater challenges to come....

Well...that's my $0.02 on it. Looking forward to eventually having them reconcile....

Likewise, the characterisation of Jadzia by Joran [and by default perhaps Ezri] is revealing too. Is that how she views Jadzia? Does she resent Jadzia for her ways and using men like that? Is it simply because it scuppered her chances with Julian?
Hmm...that may have something to do with it. After all, in her first real encounter with Julian, she said, with the intention of reasuring him, "If Worf hadn't come along...it would've been you."

Julian looks put off at this. So, perhaps here we see some seeds of what will lead to the break-up--Ezri tending to read too much into Julian's old feelings towards Jadzia.

I myself never thought there was anything cruel about Jadzia and her treatment of men. If anything, it helped to show a strong person who wasn't won over by men impressed by her beauty. Which IMHO is why she probably went more with Worf than Julian. Plus it was humorous to see the fellas made fools of so easily by her smile alone.
It was just Joran's interperetation, as Ezri pointed out. Still, as a man, I found Jadzia's "coyness", as it were, very off-putting at times....

Anyway, a neat dialogue and a nice view shot of Ezri in the command chair. A position I'd not have imagined for her, especially so soon, but it did read right that she would reflect and question her posting as captain.
Thanks!

And BTW, folks...if you check out pics of the Aventine, and the specs (specifically the weapons and speed), you'll get a pretty good feeling as to what inspired Ezri's brief internal "ego-rant" at the beginning....

Last edited by Rush Limborg; July 30 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old August 6 2009, 12:03 AM   #21
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Okay--been a while since any reviews....

I welcome more--but if that's it:

Thank you all for your comments!