Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 4 2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

Where's Star Trek Four???

http://totalscifionline.com/features/3809

A pity the most well written and polished film doesn't make it onto this list. Not enough explosions, obviously. It's as least as good as ST2, if not better. It's harder to get back to something than it is to move away from it.
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Re: Where's Star Trek Four???

I wouldn't worry about it be missing from a list which includes in the review of Ron Howard's Cocoon: "along with Daryl Hannah at her sexiest." It's a shame she wasn't actually in the film...
Old August 4 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Too Much Fun
Commodore

About 95% of the choices on that list are good decisions, but they've got "Farenheit 451" (which I can say without feeling I'm exaggerating is one of the ten worst, most poorly made movies I've ever seen, regardless of the great source material and director) and that pretty (but hollow and pointless) piece of crap "Blade Runner" at number one, which nullifies it in my eyes.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Yeah. That list is a mix of "Of course that has to be there" and "Why in the world is that piece of dreck there?" (as well as a fair amount of "Why isn't this there?") I'm actually a bit surprised that I agree with a number few of those choices, though most certainly not all - Fahrenheit 451 being a case in point since I'd definitely put that in my "dreck" pile. How anybody could consider that thing as significant...
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Star Trek 4 was a fun movie, but hardly one of the all-time greats. I agree with leaving off the list.

The fact that they included the fun-but-dumb Independence Day however...
Old August 4 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

This list loses all credibility for having Starship Troopers on it, albeit 76th. Until a new one takes its place, Starship Troopers is absolutely without a doubt in my mind the single worst piece of garbage that has the nerve to call itself a film that I have ever seen from start to finish.
Old August 5 2009, 02:06 AM   #7
Elder Knight
Captain

JustKate wrote: View Post
Yeah. That list is a mix of "Of course that has to be there" and "Why in the world is that piece of dreck there?" (as well as a fair amount of "Why isn't this there?") I'm actually a bit surprised that I agree with a number few of those choices, though most certainly not all - Fahrenheit 451 being a case in point since I'd definitely put that in my "dreck" pile. How anybody could consider that thing as significant...
I agree. I'd say that they got virtually all of the good ones, but included an equal number of undeserving items.

Wrong Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly. The remakes are good enough, but they lack the impact of the originals.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Bones
Commodore

I'd have thought First Contact is the more surprising omission, as that seems to have nearly as much critical acclaim as 2, and more than 6 (which is there). But there you go.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 05:32 AM   #9
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Whaleophobes.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:00 AM   #10
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Cheapjack wrote: View Post
http://totalscifionline.com/features/3809

A pity the most well written and polished film doesn't make it onto this list. Not enough explosions, obviously. It's as least as good as ST2, if not better. It's harder to get back to something than it is to move away from it.
I'm surprised none of the original Star Trek movies are in there. I don't understand why Star Wars is, I never really liked Star Wars at all. It's stupid, IMHO.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:01 AM   #11
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
Star Wars is on the list because millions of people have disagreed with your assessment. You're perfectly free to dislike it, of course, but to deny its popularity and importance in the world of science-fiction cinema is rather short-sighted.

I would never expect to see TVH on any "Best Sci-Fi Movies" list; frankly, I was a little surprised to see TUC on there. I quite enjoy both films, but I don't think I'd describe them as two of the greatest science-fiction movies of all time.

As for the list as a whole -- eh, I don't have too many problems with it. I don't agree with all the choices, and there are a few I haven't seen, but generally, it's a pretty solid sampling of (mostly) good sci-fi.

Oh, and I love Blade Runner, so .

Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 11:44 PM   #12
Rackon
Commander

I thought it was a lot stranger TMP was left out. Westworld makes it but not TMP???

These sorts of lists are fun to initiate discussions. But I probably agree with about 60% MAX of their selections. There's some excellent films in there, but a lot of popular action/adventure dreck.

I wouldn't have Blade Runner at #1 (that would probbaly go to 2001), but it would be in my top 10.

It was nice to see A Boy And His Dog, Solyaris, La Jetee, Alphaville, Moon, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Donnie Darko, Silent Running, Dark City, The Quiet Earth and Delicatessen mentioned.

But Planet of the Apes in the top ten??? Robocop as high as it was??? City Of Lost Children completely missing? I wouldn't have Total recall on the list at all.

See what I mean?
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 03:29 AM   #13
KingstonTrekker
Commander

I agree that The Voyage Home should have made the list. It is a better film in many ways than The Undiscovered Country (which is riddled with plot holes due to its rushed production schedule to get it out for the 25th Anniversary.)

Star Trek 09 should have been in the list's Top 50.
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 04:00 AM   #14
Elder Knight
Captain

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Whaleophobes.
Well, James Whale was represented with The Invisible Man (1933), but I think his Frankenstein was unfairly snubbed.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 06:12 AM   #15
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

I've never understood the appeal of STIV. It's typical 80's C-grade schlock, mostly. Highly forgettable.

(IMO)
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote