Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 20 2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

^PC game prices are typically lower because the publisher doesn't have to pay Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony any licence fees.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well the way games prices are going now i might just move back to my big beige beasty.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 12:13 PM   #18
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

I don't mind big prices so much. I do mind those half-brained copy protection schemes that insert themselves as a filter driver on your dvdrom drive and all that crap. Before I buy a game, I usually try to find out if it has any copy protection. If it does, I don't buy it. But I have a big stash of games I gladly payed the full price for, seeing as they don't have any copy protection. I see it like this: if the developers/publishers don't try to frell me over, I want to give them the money the deserve. If they do try to frell me over, they don't deserve any money from me.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I've only purchased a handful of PC games the last couple years, and admittedly have pirated a few that I was unsure of, but twice I actually HAD to pirate the game and use a crack because the copy protection was causing stability issues. (Spore and Mirror's Edge, both EA) It is almost enough to just drive me away from PC gaming entirely. As far as I know, no problems with any Activision games.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post
I don't mind big prices so much. I do mind those half-brained copy protection schemes that insert themselves as a filter driver on your dvdrom drive and all that crap. Before I buy a game, I usually try to find out if it has any copy protection. If it does, I don't buy it. But I have a big stash of games I gladly payed the full price for, seeing as they don't have any copy protection. I see it like this: if the developers/publishers don't try to frell me over, I want to give them the money the deserve. If they do try to frell me over, they don't deserve any money from me.
I investigate things like that before buying the game. If I really, really want the game anyway, I'll buy it, but I'll then download a cracked version to avoid the garbage that will mess up my system.

It was bad enough when we had CD checks. Now they install drivers that dick up your OS and hardware, all on the fear you might pirate the game. And yet, I have not found a game that someone hasn't managed to pirate. Imagine that! Why they continue to bother is beyond me. Put some simple checks in to prevent casual copying and just be done with it! Keep your fucking hands off my computer.
Old July 20 2009, 04:26 PM   #21
Servo
Rear Admiral

I bet ASDA sells it for £39.99 or less.
Old July 20 2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Hermiod
Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
It would cost me the same once I add in the effort of having to go to an Asda store.
Old July 20 2009, 05:06 PM   #23
Servo
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
It would cost me the same once I add in the effort of having to go to an Asda store.
Not for me. It's only a five minute walk away.
Old July 20 2009, 05:12 PM   #24
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I investigate things like that before buying the game. If I really, really want the game anyway, I'll buy it, but I'll then download a cracked version to avoid the garbage that will mess up my system.

It was bad enough when we had CD checks. Now they install drivers that dick up your OS and hardware, all on the fear you might pirate the game. And yet, I have not found a game that someone hasn't managed to pirate. Imagine that! Why they continue to bother is beyond me. Put some simple checks in to prevent casual copying and just be done with it! Keep your fucking hands off my computer.
I completely agree with you, on both points.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 05:48 PM   #25
dark angel_707
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision allocates limited stock to any supermarket that might sell it less than £40
dark angel_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Servo
Rear Admiral

dark angel_707 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Activision allocates limited stock to any supermarket that might sell it less than £40
Again, not a problem since my local ASDA is 24hr. I'll probably just take a walk up after Midnight and pick one up.
Old July 22 2009, 01:25 AM   #27
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

Game prices in general are ridiculous. Most are around $70 Canadian but some creep up into the mid to high $70's and even $80's.
Old July 22 2009, 03:35 PM   #28
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Who on earth buys games on release? Well, I guess a lot of people. Stupid question.

But I always wait for proces to drop. With PC games it has to be £10 or less... Xbox 360 I'll probably pay a bit more, up to £15 - £20 - but often pick games up at under £10.

And if you committ to this process, by the time you've played the ones you want then the old new ones are down in price. Works the same with DVDs too.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 10:33 PM   #29
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Who on earth buys games on release? Well, I guess a lot of people. Stupid question.

But I always wait for proces to drop. With PC games it has to be £10 or less... Xbox 360 I'll probably pay a bit more, up to £15 - £20 - but often pick games up at under £10.

And if you committ to this process, by the time you've played the ones you want then the old new ones are down in price. Works the same with DVDs too.

I do but it really depends on the game.

Ghostbusters, for example, is a game I have been waiting to be released for a long time. Same with Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4 so I bought all of them as soon as they came out.

Most games, though, I wait, but some take a long time to go down in price. When I bought GTA4 for my PS3, it was a year later and I got it for $30 Canadian used but the original non-used game was still sitting at $69 Canadian.
Old July 23 2009, 07:27 AM   #30
Hermiod
Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post

I buy some games day of release, some games later. Nothing on Earth will stop me having Half-Life 2: Episode Three day of release.

However, in the case of Modern Warfare 2, despite this price increase I expect the game to be the year's biggest seller. I don't think we will see the sort of price drops you're talking about for quite some time after release.