RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,150
Posts: 5,343,717
Members: 24,596
Currently online: 537
Newest member: simran gill

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 19 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Activision Screws Europe Again

RRP for Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360 and PS3 is £54.99.

Retailers are cutting this to around £44.99, but that's still more than the usual £39.99 price we expect to pay for new release console games.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

£29.99 on PC Amzon UK :P
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Hermiod wrote: View Post
RRP for Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360 and PS3 is £54.99.

Retailers are cutting this to around £44.99, but that's still more than the usual £39.99 price we expect to pay for new release console games.
Apparently other publishers are thinking of following suit with their "tentpole blockbusters" because of the lousy exchange rate, which is actually getting better for them now... great excuse.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 08:44 PM   #4
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

It must suck to be a gamer in Europe. It seems like everyone tries to give you guys the shaft
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Activision sucks, seriously. They've replaced EA as the Big Bad of gaming.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

clint g wrote: View Post
It must suck to be a gamer in Europe. It seems like everyone tries to give you guys the shaft
Well Nintendo of Europe has released 2 games over in Europe that haven't been released in North America, and of course both of them are games I want to play. I would say Disaster basically has no chance of coming to the US though it's hard to say if Trace Memory 2 will, though since it wasn't announced at E3 I have my doubts (it could be announced at Nintendo's October press conference).

I figure I may just have to install the homebrew channel on my Wii so I can import them.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 11:40 PM   #7
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Yeah that is true I suppose. It sort of confuses me that Nintendo spent that money to purchase Monolith and yet doesn't use them to their advantage in the US. Sucks too cause I was ultra psyched when I heard about the Monolith deal


With the increased demand for more "real" games for the Wii though, I can see that decision being changed in the future.
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

clint g wrote: View Post
Yeah that is true I suppose. It sort of confuses me that Nintendo spent that money to purchase Monolith and yet doesn't use them to their advantage in the US. Sucks too cause I was ultra psyched when I heard about the Monolith deal


With the increased demand for more "real" games for the Wii though, I can see that decision being changed in the future.
Well I know Reggie said he didn't like Disaster so I'm guessing that has to be at least part of the reason it didn't come to the US since it would require pretty much no work due to it already being in English.

I imagine we'll see Monado Beginning of the World released in the US though since both Baten Kaitos games came out here.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 06:21 AM   #9
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Activision sucks, seriously. They've replaced EA as the Big Bad of gaming.
You don't replace EA when you become evil, you join them. . . on the Dark Side.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
It must suck to be a gamer in Europe. It seems like everyone tries to give you guys the shaft
Well Nintendo of Europe has released 2 games over in Europe that haven't been released in North America, and of course both of them are games I want to play. I would say Disaster basically has no chance of coming to the US though it's hard to say if Trace Memory 2 will, though since it wasn't announced at E3 I have my doubts (it could be announced at Nintendo's October press conference).

I figure I may just have to install the homebrew channel on my Wii so I can import them.
Two games does not make up for the extended delays, especially from Nintendo, in getting games shipped over here. It doesn't make up for the higher prices we pay - the infamous $1=£1 exchange rate. It doesn't make up for being asked to stump up over £100 for Activision's single peripheral games like DJ Hero and the new Tony Hawk game.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Activision sucks, seriously. They've replaced EA as the Big Bad of gaming.
Activision turning Call of Duty into an annual game as if it were a sports game is pretty annoying. Eventually they'll just start naming their games Call of Duty 2011, Call of Duty 2012, Call of Duty 2013, etc. And then they'll start marketing with cover military personnel, with Colin Powell on the cover of Call of Duty 2011 and John McCain on the cover of Call of Duty 2012!

But flooding the market with all their Guitar Hero games, and probably killing the market in the process, is their icing.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
It must suck to be a gamer in Europe. It seems like everyone tries to give you guys the shaft
Well Nintendo of Europe has released 2 games over in Europe that haven't been released in North America, and of course both of them are games I want to play. I would say Disaster basically has no chance of coming to the US though it's hard to say if Trace Memory 2 will, though since it wasn't announced at E3 I have my doubts (it could be announced at Nintendo's October press conference).

I figure I may just have to install the homebrew channel on my Wii so I can import them.
Two games does not make up for the extended delays, especially from Nintendo, in getting games shipped over here. It doesn't make up for the higher prices we pay - the infamous $1=£1 exchange rate. It doesn't make up for being asked to stump up over £100 for Activision's single peripheral games like DJ Hero and the new Tony Hawk game.
Hey you also got Mario Kart Wii like a month before we did, but then again you had to wait several months for Smash Brothers.

It's pretty interesting the way games are priced in Europe, whenever I read about people buying games it's not unusual for it to be on sale, even on release day. That almost never happens here, at most you can expect a sale/discount a few weeks after release if the game bombed, otherwise it could be even longer.

Preorder deals are pretty rare (though becoming a bit more common, Toys R Us and Target seem to be giving away more and more giftcards for preordering or buying major games release week).

I'm guess there has to be a pretty nice sized retailer markup over in Europe, I believe that here in the states retailers only make $5-10 per new copy of a game (depending on buying power), which is why stores like Gamestop push used games so much.


Aragorn wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Activision sucks, seriously. They've replaced EA as the Big Bad of gaming.
Activision turning Call of Duty into an annual game as if it were a sports game is pretty annoying. Eventually they'll just start naming their games Call of Duty 2011, Call of Duty 2012, Call of Duty 2013, etc. And then they'll start marketing with cover military personnel, with Colin Powell on the cover of Call of Duty 2011 and John McCain on the cover of Call of Duty 2012!

But flooding the market with all their Guitar Hero games, and probably killing the market in the process, is their icing.
I agree 100%, I'm loosing a lot of enthusiasm for Call of Duty now that it's a yearly franchise. As I posted in another thread I have my doubts I'll buy this one on day one like I have since CoD3.

Yeah according to recent NPD numbers for June the newest Guitar Hero with the songs from the first few games pretty much bombed. It will be interesting to see how well the next Guitar Hero will fare against Rock Band Beetles. Personally I think the music genre has pretty much become saturated and sales of new games will start declining quite a bit.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 08:42 AM   #13
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Hey you also got Mario Kart Wii like a month before we did, but then again you had to wait several months for Smash Brothers.

It's pretty interesting the way games are priced in Europe, whenever I read about people buying games it's not unusual for it to be on sale, even on release day. That almost never happens here, at most you can expect a sale/discount a few weeks after release if the game bombed, otherwise it could be even longer.
A new PS3 or Xbox 360 game normally costs £39.99 on launch day. Last Christmas a lot of big titles ended up dropping in price rapidly. Possibly Mirror's Edge was the worst affected.

That's the problem - Christmas. Everybody schedules their games for release at the most expensive time of the year for most households.

Then, for the rest of the year, we get very little. If the publishers spread things out more they would sell more games.

Preorder deals are pretty rare (though becoming a bit more common, Toys R Us and Target seem to be giving away more and more giftcards for preordering or buying major games release week).
We are starting to see more extra content for pre-orderers. I received a pre-order code with my copy of Red Alert 3 that got me a few extra multiplayer maps.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine had a pre-order bonus which has since gone up on the PSN Store as paid DLC. The 128k download size tells you where the content was actually stored.

I'm guess there has to be a pretty nice sized retailer markup over in Europe, I believe that here in the states retailers only make $5-10 per new copy of a game (depending on buying power), which is why stores like Gamestop push used games so much.
And publishers will counter that with paid DLC that can't be transferred.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 09:51 AM   #14
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

Hermiod wrote: View Post

A new PS3 or Xbox 360 game normally costs £39.99 on launch day. Last Christmas a lot of big titles ended up dropping in price rapidly. Possibly Mirror's Edge was the worst affected.

That's the problem - Christmas. Everybody schedules their games for release at the most expensive time of the year for most households.

Then, for the rest of the year, we get very little. If the publishers spread things out more they would sell more games.
This is actually something that some developers are starting to notice. I know EA in particualr has stated that tehy wish they released Mirrors Edge in the summer months as opposed to the busy Christmas time slot where it never stood a chance. What I think will happen is new properties are going to get releases in the summer months with the big hitters and sequels getting releases during the Christmas rush
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Activision Screws Europe Again

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
£29.99 on PC Amzon UK :P
Its amazing to think that the same game in essence on the PC will have a lower price point just to try and make PC owners buy the game instead of DL for nothing.......
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
activision, gouging, modern warfare 2

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.