IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2009, 06:39 AM   #1
broberfett
Vice Admiral

The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers

I'm watching this old 80s cartoon on youtube. It is a western themed scifi/action adventure show. The Galaxy Rangers each have a series 5 implant that grants them a special ability. The leader has a half cyborg body that shoots an energy beam when he activates his implant. There is a psychic chick, a computer expert, and a super soldier named Goose. He is sort of modeled after Clint Eastwood. His ability is to develop a bio-defense/adaptation to any danger or environmental condition.

They fly around in a spaceship that has little attachable modules. Goose usually flies a fighter. Two aliens came to Earth and brought the technology of hyperdrive so their ship and Goose's fighter can travel all over the local area of the galaxy. They fight various villains, but their main enemy is the Queen. She tries to kill them in new ways all the time. I'm enjoying the show. Has anyone else here seen it?
Old July 18 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers

I saw it when it originally aired in syndication back in '86 and it was one of my favorite shows of that year. Haven't seen it since then, so my memory's fuzzy about the details, but I remember it having pretty good animation for an '80s cartoon and one of the first to use real computer graphics here and there. It was also one of the few action cartoons that wasn't originally built around a toyline (I think one came after the show premiered).

Yeah, I just went and ordered the first DVD collection, something I've been meaning to do for some time...
Old July 18 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Holoaddict
Commodore

I also watched the show back in the 80s. I picked up volume one, but it is still in my backlog. I really should check it out to see how the show holds up.
Holoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 04:38 PM   #4
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet

I remember seeing this show a number of years ago. I really enjoyed what I saw of it.

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

It was the best of the spate of animated SF Westerns that came along within a year or two of each other, the others being Filmation's Bravestarr and the anime import Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. It was a pretty sophisticated show for its day. I've got it in my Netflix queue.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 08:58 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

i read the Marvel UK comics back in the 80s before they showed the toon in the 90s on ITV. (still have them in fact).

The computer bloke was Walter 'Doc' Smith, his implant boosted his computer skills, Niko was the psychic chick who's implant boosted her powers and Zachary Foxx was the leader.

the villains were Lazarus Slade, a human with a bionic eye that shot laser blasts, Captain Kidd, a bird-like alien pirate and the evil Queen of the Crown and her robotic Crown Agents.

the Rangers also rode cybernetic horses.

personally, i thought it was a far better SF/Western fusion than Firefly.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

And Zachary Fox was played by Jerry Orbach. That's right, the future Lennie Briscoe from Law and Order. One of the ways this show was ahead of its time was that its producers deliberately cast actors who were more naturalistic performers than the clear, announcer-type voices that were then standard in animation.

Old July 19 2009, 02:03 AM   #8
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I loved it when I was 16, I'm not sure it holds up well today.

RAMA
Old July 19 2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And Zachary Fox was played by Jerry Orbach. That's right, the future Lennie Briscoe from Law and Order. One of the ways this show was ahead of its time was that its producers deliberately cast actors who were more naturalistic performers than the clear, announcer-type voices that were then standard in animation.
Is that where Bruce Timm got the idea when it popularized getting TV and theater actors to do voices for the DCAU shows?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I have no idea what Bruce Timm's thought processes were. But there were other shows in the interim that were part of the same trend. If anything, it was probably The Simpsons more than anything else that convinced name actors it was cool to do animation.

And it wasn't unprecedented before Galaxy Rangers for theater actors to do voice work. For instance, Rene Auberjonois (mainly a stage actor at the time) did plenty of voices for Hanna-Barbera shows in the '70s and '80s. And many career voice actors were also experienced TV character actors, for instance Alan Oppenheimer and Howard Morris. It was just less common for big-name actors to make the crossover.

Old July 19 2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Candlefright
Admiral

I remember the show vaguely. Is that the one where they press a button (their sheriff badge?) and, for example, the main guy's arm powers up?

Did that show have blue (?) robots as bad guys too? Or am I thinking of another show. Sabre Rider had brown-coloured bad guys didn't they?
Old July 20 2009, 12:16 AM   #12
broberfett
Vice Admiral

They pushed their badge to activate their implant. There were blue robots as cannon fodder types. There were also alien villains like the Black Hole Gang.