Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old February 3 2010, 01:52 AM   #436
kes7
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Tesseract

CaptainSarine -- Thanks for the commentary! John definitely has some issues, don't you think? Whether he'll lay it all out for Maren remains to be seen. I'm glad you liked the Ten Forward scene. We'll see what happens next with Julian and Adele. Thanks again for reading and reviewing!
Old February 6 2010, 06:27 PM   #437
kes7
Fleet Captain

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

It was the little things that gave a person away. Increased heart rate, the barely perceptible quickening of the respiratory system, dilation of pupils, flush of cheeks. For years now, Julian had made efficient use of his medical training and his genetically enhanced senses to analyze people’s reactions to various situations. Reactions could be clues. And clues were exactly what Julian needed to figure out exactly how extensive Section 31’s presence was on this ship.

Until the Section tried to activate him -- and he knew they would, because it always happened, eventually -- he wouldn’t know who else had been assigned there by their machinations. Even when it happened, he probably wouldn’t be told everything. He knew they didn’t fully trust him. It was purely projection on their part -- they were untrustworthy, paranoid, backstabbing types, so they expected it from everyone else. But they were right to be wary of Julian. Because no matter how many assignments he did for them, no matter how much they thought they owned him ... ultimately, he wasn’t working for them. He was working for himself.

At first, he had suspected the command team. Adele Oyugo had been an odd pick for Captain, as young and as relatively untested as she was, and her Betazoid roots could certainly be useful for the secretive organization. But then she had come to him in sickbay, worried about her oddly enhanced empathic senses. No operative would do that, knowing what he was. She had hesitated to take him up on his dinner invitation out of a sense of propriety, but she had given in when he pushed her, and they’d had a great time -- she had even let her guard down enough to drink some of that nasty fire water and loosen up a bit. That behavior just wasn’t the type he’d come to expect from an operative. If she was one, she was the best he’d ever seen.

Commander Icheb was a different story ... he avoided Julian as much as possible, and there had been so much missing from his medical files ... it made Julian wonder. He knew the Section might have been attracted to Icheb for the same reasons they had been attracted to him. The former drone was potentially even more useful, with a body and mind full of technology that could be altered for countless missions, along with enhanced senses and intelligence greater than Julian’s own. But then again, the missing pieces of his medical files had been explained today, and heart-wrenchingly so. Julian still had some suspicions -- but it was getting harder to believe that Icheb had anything to do with Section 31.

It had been Adele’s physical reactions to the very thought of the Advisory Board that made Julian think he needed to look higher than the command team. He had been surprised when her first concern in sickbay that afternoon had been to keep Maren away from them. When he had asked her why, she had said that she had a feeling certain members of the board would expect nothing less than the ending of the young woman’s career, and possibly formal charges, and she preferred -- as she had said -- to “keep the disciplinary ball in her own court.” But her subtle physical reactions had told him there was something more, maybe something she wasn’t even fully aware of. She was frightened of something, and that unsettled Julian. But somehow, it also made him feel she could be trusted.

As the turbolift doors opened and he stepped into the corridor outside her quarters, he hoped he wasn’t walking into a trap.

After a long day of doing nothing but reacting instinctively to one crisis after another, Adele Oyugo was utterly exhausted. As she sank down into the plush sofa in her quarters with a cup of Yridian tea, she felt like the entire day had been lost.

She closed her eyes and rested her head against the back of the sofa, still holding her teacup perfectly still. Barely a week into their mission, her first officer was missing, and now she knew that he was dying, too. Even if they got him back, that wasn’t going to change. What am I supposed to do with that? she wondered. As full of reservations as she was about having an ex-Borg first officer, she knew she needed him. She needed his expertise, his experience, and the knowledge of the Delta Quadrant he had locked up inside his cortical implants. He was to have been, effectively, their guide. How could he not tell Command that he probably won’t last through this mission? How could he be so irresponsible? She thought it was almost just as well he was off ship right now, because she wanted to scream at him, even though she knew it wouldn’t help.

She sighed as she thought about everything that had happened today. Her mind kept wandering to her injured, terrified chief engineer. The feelings she had sensed in Maren this afternoon were familiar ones that she had hoped never to feel again, either from herself or another person. The sensations of loss and fear coming from the younger woman had tied Adele’s stomach in knots as she remembered her own emotions at the sudden loss of her Imzadi. She hadn’t realized until then the depth of Maren’s feelings for Icheb. Despite her best efforts not to, she felt terrible for Maren, and her initial anger over her actions in engineering and the revelation that she had been helping Icheb conceal his condition from Starfleet was slowly receding, replaced by curiosity. Why did they lie about this for so long?

She felt a little guilty when she thought of how she had angrily lectured Maren that afternoon. The truth was, she had needed to feel in control of something during a very out-of-control day, and Maren -- lying on a biobed in sickbay, too injured and tired and upset to really defend herself -- had been an easy target. Maren had made some questionable choices, no doubt, and Adele felt she had legitimate reason to be angry with her, but her usual compassion had escaped her in the midst of the chaos, replaced by the need to feel like she was really in command. She had unwittingly channeled her frustrations with the Advisory Board, her first officer, and the universe itself into her dealings with the chief engineer, and she was starting to feel she owed the girl an apology. Tomorrow, she promised herself. Tomorrow I’ll go and talk with her.

Adele opened her eyes and carefully reached for the large PADD on her coffee table, being careful not to spill her tea in the process. As she did, the door chime sounded, and she tensed at the unexpected intrusion, splashing a bit of tea over the side of her full cup. “Who’s there?” she called out, setting her cup down on the coffee table and scrambling to find something to wipe up the small spill.

“Julian Bashir,” came the reply over the intercom, and Adele sighed with a mixture of trepidation and relief. She could only imagine what unwelcome news the doctor might be bringing, but thanks to their dinner last night, she felt more comfortable talking to him than just about anyone else on the ship right now.

“Come,” she ordered, and the door opened. Julian stepped through, looking a bit pensive.

“Is now a bad time?” he asked.

Adele looked up at him from where she was bent over the sofa, cleaning up the minor mess she had made with her tea. “It doesn’t appear good times are easy to come by on this ship,” she said with a wan smirk. “Come on in. Would you like something to drink? Help yourself to the replicator if you like.”

“I think I’ll take you up on that,” he replied, and stepped over to it. “Tarkalean tea,” he ordered, and as the steaming cup materialized on the platform, he picked it up. “Thank you,” he said to Adele, briefly lifting his cup in her direction.

“Don’t mention it,” she replied. “How are the drone and the engineer?”

“The drone is stable, at least for now,” Julian reported. “I was able to repair the injury to her organic tissue, but some of the damaged cybernetics are beyond my engineering expertise. Lieutenant O’Connor wants to take a look tomorrow.”

Adele sighed and picked her tea back up, taking a small sip as she perched carefully on the arm of a chair adjacent to the now tea-stained sofa. “She might as well. Something tells me she has a lot more experience with Borg implants than Command knows anything about,” she noted dryly.

“Actually, I’m not so sure it’s a good idea,” Julian admitted, with a troubled expression. “I’m worried about her. I think she needs to speak with a counselor. I just found her out of bed, standing next to the drone in some sort of daze, just about ready to deactivate the force field. The security officer literally had to physically grab her to stop her.”

Adele raised her eyebrows. “What did you do?” she asked.

Julian looked at her over his teacup with tired eyes and gave a light shrug. “I took her back to bed. I think she’ll stay there, she seemed to realize getting out of bed hadn’t been the best idea. Her friend Quigley came back; he’s with her now. I ordered Doctor Sarik to sedate her if she doesn’t go back to sleep soon. And if she gets out of bed again, I’m putting a restraining field on her.”

“Wonderful,” Adele replied sarcastically, the possibility that her chief engineer was losing it making her feel even more tired. “But physically, she’ll be all right?”

“Yes,” Julian replied. “She should be fit to take whatever punishment you intend to dole out within a couple of days.” He gave Adele a knowing glance, and she could sense he felt sympathetic toward Maren.

She sighed. “Point taken, Doctor. I was planning to apologize to her in the morning. Taking my frustrations out on her was out of line.”

“I didn’t say a word,” Julian replied, with mock innocence.

“You didn’t need to. I’m an empath, remember?” she replied with a smirk, which quickly faded to a frown. “Did you make any progress figuring out Icheb’s problem?” she asked.

Julian nodded grimly. “It’s like Maren said. He donated his cortical node to Annika Hansen almost nine years ago. At the time, he thought of a way to regulate his remaining Borg implants with genetic resequencing. It worked for a while, but the problem is that he can no longer fully interface with a Borg alcove. So instead of getting daily diagnostics and minor adjustments while regenerating, he’s just ... recharging the implants. He has to wait for any issues to present themselves with symptoms before he knows about them. For the last four years, the malfunctions have been increasing. Apparently, he’s had two life-threatening implant failures and at least a dozen minor ones, all treated by Voyager’s Emergency Medical Hologram, Maren, or even Icheb himself. They tried some additional gene resequencing, some reprogramming of his nanoprobes, but none of it worked. The implants just aren’t designed to work without the cortical node. Frankly, it’s amazing he’s lasted this long.”

“So there’s nothing you can do?” Adele asked, frowning.

“I’m not ready to give up yet,” Julian replied. “I want to work with Maren to see if we can come up with something no one has thought of before.”

“Well, she may have plenty of time for that,” Adele sighed.

“Are you really going to relieve her permanently?” Julian asked, surprised.

Adele sighed again. “I don’t know. I really don’t. And I don’t even have my first officer to help me decide. Not that he’d be a neutral party,” she added dejectedly. “Forgive me for dumping this on you.”

“It’s all right,” Julian assured her. “I’m a doctor; I’m used to listening to people’s problems. In fact,” he added cautiously, “that’s actually why I came here. I wanted to ask you about one of yours.”

“What do you mean?”

Julian took a deep breath. “The advisory board. I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation with Maren. I noticed you seem very distrustful of the board, and I was wondering if you could tell me why.”

Adele raised an eyebrow. “Why do you ask?”

“Curiosity, I suppose.”

Adele sighed wearily. “They’ve been hostile,” she explained, “especially regarding Commander Icheb. One of the members in particular, but there’s another who isn’t much better. They also have a tremendous amount of power if they choose to use it, and I’m trying desperately not to give them a reason to do it. Also ...” she hesitated, unsure of whether to voice her concerns about Admiral Beckley. After a moment’s pause, she decided to confide in the CMO. If anyone would have an explanation, she reasoned, it would be him. “...and I want to clarify, this doesn’t leave this room, understood?”

Julian looked surprised, but nodded. “Perfectly,” he replied seriously.

Adele took a deep breath. “I can’t read Admiral Beckley,” she said tentatively. “Empathically, I mean. At all. According to his file, he’s one hundred percent human, but he feels more like a hologram. I know it’s probably unfair of me to feel this way, but it’s extremely disconcerting. I’d hate to ask you to pry into his medical files, but is there any kind of condition, a disorder or something that can make a human completely unreadable to a Betazoid?”

“You’re only part Betazoid,” Julian pointed out carefully.

“But I’ve never had any trouble reading any other human’s emotions,” Adele protested. “And the full Betazoid on the Advisory Board told me today that she can’t read him, either.”

Julian frowned. “That is strange,” he said. For a moment, Adele thought she sensed something like dread in him, then, just as quickly, it was gone. “I’ll look into it,” he said. “There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation.”

Adele sighed. “It would make me feel a lot better if you could find one. In all honesty, he creeps me out, and I think it’s coloring my view of the entire board. Three out of five of them seem like nice, reasonable people. It’s just the bitchy lawyer and the admiral who have me on edge. Are you listening to me?” she asked, suddenly noticing that Julian looked like he was light years away, his brown eyes troubled and distant.

“Huh?” Julian replied, shaking himself out of his reverie. “Of course I am. Bitchy lawyer. Let me guess, the lovely Eleanor Gentry?”

Adele’s eyes widened. “You know her?”

“I met her on the recreation deck the night of the launch. Delightful woman, isn’t she?” There was a hint of sarcasm to Julian’s voice, and he smirked wryly. It made Adele wonder if he’d been shot down by the attractive, but sharp-tongued attorney.

Before she could inquire further, her comm. chirped. “Bridge to the Captain.”

Adele tensed at the sudden interruption. “Oyugo here,” she replied, businesslike.

“We’re receiving an incoming subspace transmission.”

Adele frowned. “I ordered radio silence.”

“The identification code is Commander Icheb’s.”

“Commander Icheb’s,” Adele repeated back, incredulously.

“Yes, ma’am. It’s being routed through our own comm. array, using his codes.”

Adele and Julian exchanged a stunned look, and both set down their teacups. “I’ll be right there,” Adele told the bridge officer, “Oyugo out.”

She looked at Julian, shocked, for a moment, then gestured for him to follow her. “You’re with me,” she said. “If it’s him, and we have a visual, I want you to do your best to ascertain what kind of condition he’s in.” Julian nodded in reply, and without a word, they both headed quickly for the bridge.
Old February 6 2010, 08:33 PM   #438
CeJay
Commodore

Ah great, another bloody spy. I think you've been reading too many of Captain Sarine's stories.

Just kidding. And it looks as if Bashir is not your garden variety S31 operative. Or at least that's what he tells himself. In fact he might become the perfect weapon against the admiral should he ever cause some serious trouble. Or should I say when he will cause trouble?

And Adele feels bad about taking Maren to task. Well she should give herself a break. Granted, she didn't pick the best of times to give her the speech but she was totally in her right to do so.

Signs of life from our missing ex-drone. Looks like it's full speed ahead for your mysterious plot. The questions is, where exactly will it go?

Looking forward to find out.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 01:31 AM   #439
KimMH
Rear Admiral

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

oh oh oh oh oh oh.

oh.

I love to hate Section31!!! It's like you got ahold of my ST Christmas wish list! I can feel adrenaline making the back of my hands tingle. I am purposely trying not to use exclamation points. I gotta go chew on this before I can offer anything coherent that doesn't sound like fangrrl wank!!!!
Old February 7 2010, 01:55 AM   #440
KimMH
Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed all the Section31 episodes I've seen across the franchises from the comfort of a life without intrigue. I love to hate that people are willing to bend rules to attain what they believe is a greater good.

I love to hate that Julian has had to do things he's didn't want to do and still owns himself. Or is that hate to love? I'd thought him slightly out of the line of sight and am pleased and worried about what comes next.

Beckley as a Section31 op never occurred to me but that is very intriguing! I still am on the fence and may be able to find room to justify what he does (depending on what he does!) if he truly believes he is working for a greater good. I love the ambiguity of a situation where a person is doing the wrong thing for the right reason. Meaty!!!

More later. I'll try not to gush.
Old February 7 2010, 10:41 AM   #441
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

I’m glad to see Adele has found a confidant in Julian, seeing as it’s becoming harder and harder to trust anyone on this mission, and they’re only a week or so out of port.

Though it’s always possible Beckley is a Section 31 operative, his ties to Starfleet Intelligence make him just a bit too obvious a plant. My guess is that whoever the other operative is, that person might be more like the last individual we’d ever suspect. Someone like Maren, for instance.

It will doubtless prove fascinating to see how Adele and Maren handle the advisory board.

Continued excellence!

Last edited by Gibraltar; February 7 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 12:44 PM   #442
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Love Bashir the Man from Uncle. It seems that he has his own personal agenda and mission working within S31. It is hard to believe that it will come to any good. It does seem like a very S31 thing to do though - place operatives on a mission into the DQ. Especially in light of the technological advances made via Seven and Icheb's Borg knowledge. It seems S31 has dark ambitions and/or motivations about this mission. Intriguing question now is who is the other operative....

Loved how Bashir reasoned on the different heroes and their possible involvement in S31. From Adele to Icheb he has some genuinely good reasons to suspect them. It even made me wonder for a moment. I like too that he used his medical skills and knowledge and applies them to his spying activities.

Adele finally gets a chance to relax and her observation about reacting to circumstances rings true and shows her to be a real captain. She wants to command situations. So far though, much of that has been out of her hands. Though with Icheb's call at the end she may now find the ball in her court. Dear oh dear.

Lastly, icheb is communicating - how has he survived, has he been manipulated, what does he know, and what does this mean for the Tesseract? Questions, questions and more questions.
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 05:10 PM   #443
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Got a chance to read the prologue and I must say that you've got me hooked. I like your characterizations--Irina and Icheb should prove interesting and I'm fascinated by the history between Maren and Icheb. Icheb never really impressed me on Voyager, so if you can take that character and bring him to life, I think that would be great. I'm also fascinated by your conception of the Tessaract as being essentially a city in space. Are you, by any chance, familiar with the works of James Blish? He wrote an entire future history series dealing with cities in space--great reads!

I'll definitely be following this story here and at Ad Astra!
Old February 7 2010, 11:23 PM   #444
kes7
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the comments, everyone! As always, I really appreciate the feedback!

CeJay -- Believe it or not, I had a plan for Julian from the moment I decided to go ahead and make him CMO. But yes, between me and CaptainSarine (and Gibraltar, too, he's got some cool ones!), the TBBS fanfic forum is now lousy with bloody spies. Julian has his own agenda, though. As for Adele ... well, she can't help but feel bad. Emotionally, she's been in a similar place to where Maren is, when she was about the same age, and she knows how much it hurts. Of course, she didn't compound her own problems by making questionable decisions at the time, like Maren is now. So she's not letting Maren off the hook ... just feeling like she could have handled their conversation better.

oldstredshrtevr -- Wow, so glad I could accomodate your wish list! I'm also intrigued by Section 31 -- I personally believe that it's wrong to do evil so that good may come of it, but it's one of those fascinating debates with so many interesting hypotheticals and good points on both sides. Plenty of fodder for the imagination to be found with a group like that. Julian, as we know from DS9, was sucked into the middle of it without really being given a choice, but always tried to maintain his integrity. He's an idealistic man, and a very smart one. Those things haven't changed in this story, though he's gotten older and less naive. Thanks for the review! I look forward to any further comments you want to make!

Gibraltar -- Thanks for the review and compliment! Adele needed a confidant pretty badly, that's for sure -- of course, we know Julian is more than just a CMO now. Too bad everyone Adele works with seems to be hiding something, including him. And oh, wow ... Maren? S31? Interesting thought. Certainly that would put her relationship with Icheb in a much more sinister light, wouldn't it? I'm not confirming or denying anything, just because it's more fun that way ... but seriously ... Maren? The kitten in a den of wolves, I believe you called her? She would certainly be the last person I'd suspect ... but then, you write Olivia Juneau. So I can see where your mind would go there. We'll see what happens as things unfold!

Miranda Fave -- Julian's definitely got an agenda. So does S31. The question is, are these agendas compatible? And how many operatives are there? As far as Adele and Icheb -- you wondered for a moment about them? Oh, ye of little faith! Hehe. I'll take it as a compliment if I could make you suspect either of them for a moment, though, after forty-four previous chapters of liking them just fine. Speaking of Adele ... yes, she's a captain. A particularly feeling, empathic one, maybe, but still a captain. She's grown used to calling the shots over the last six years. Today, everything was out of her hands. The only one who got to make any real decisions today was Maren (and maybe Icheb, but Adele doesn't know anything about that yet). However, as you noted, that all may be about to change. The ball may be back in her court. And regarding Icheb -- Wait and see! As usual, thanks for the thoughtful review and the reassurance on this chapter.

DavidFalkayn -- Hi there, thanks so much for the comment! It's always really exciting to see a new reader/reviewer, especially when it's a writer whose work I respect! I hope the story continues to please you as you get further into it! Enjoy!

Last edited by kes7; February 8 2010 at 02:37 PM.
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 01:07 AM   #445
CaptainSarine
Commander

What a great chapter! I loved the conversation between Julian and Adele, the two work really well together, and it was nice to see Adele gaining an ally against the Admiral. I get the feeling she may need it!
I also like the backstory to Julian, discovering his continual links to the section. However the fact that they have links to this mission cannot be good, for anyone concerned.
Great job and can't wait to see what Icheb has to say!
P.S - We do both have a thing for spies, don't we??!
Old February 9 2010, 05:42 AM   #446
kes7
Fleet Captain

Thanks, Joel! I guess we do both have a thing for spies, though the Tesseract doesn't have nearly so many as the Redemption! I'm so glad you liked this chapter. You're sort of the reigning king of spy intrigue around here, so if you approve, that makes me very happy! Thanks for the review!
Old February 20 2010, 05:29 PM   #447
kes7
Fleet Captain

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

“I can’t guarantee this is going to be successful,” Icheb reminded Malik for the third time as they waited for Adele to answer their transmission. “I’m not the captain.”

Malik nodded and stared straight ahead. Icheb thought the expression on the organic part of his face looked nervous. That makes two of us, he thought to himself. He had no idea what was going to happen next, and he had never been so conflicted in his life. He briefly wondered if Maren would be working on the bridge, then pushed the thought aside. No matter how badly he wanted to see her face right now, this was not a good time to be preoccupied.

He had convinced Malik to forego the holographic interface when communicating with the Tesseract. He understood why they liked to use it when dealing with new contacts -- being hailed by someone who looked like a Borg drone was probably cause for instant panic by most of the quadrant. But the Federation valued the truth over just about everything else, at least in theory. Icheb was experienced enough to know that the practice often differed from the ideal, but at least in this case, he suspected the truth would be more persuasive than just about anything else.

He tried to keep his mind clear as he stared ahead and waited for his captain. He tried not to think about the offer he’d just turned down. He hoped he would have the chance to revisit that decision later, when trust had been built on both sides. But for now, his crewmates couldn’t afford for him to be compromised in that manner. This is why you returned to the Delta Quadrant, a part of him was crying out. Irrelevant, he convinced himself. Circumstances have changed. You must adapt.

As Adele and Julian arrived on the bridge of the Tesseract and Adele ordered the transmission onscreen, her eyes widened at the sight of her first officer standing shoulder-to-shoulder with a Borg drone. What is going on here? she wondered. She was relieved to see he looked unharmed.

“Commander, are you all right?” she asked sharply, bypassing any standard greeting and, for the moment, ignoring the Borg drone completely.

“I’m all right, Captain,” Icheb replied. “I’m on a Resistance vessel. I’m sorry I can’t tell you much over this connection, but I’m contacting you to tell you I’ve proposed a compromise and the Resistance has accepted, pending your approval.”

“A compromise? Excuse me -- I didn’t realize we were negotiating.” She gave the drone standing beside Icheb a pointed glance. “Return my officer, then we’ll talk.”

Icheb shook his head. “That’s part of the compromise, Captain. I’m going to stay here for now. It’s the only assurance I can give them that you won’t open fire as soon as we rendezvous with you.”

“I don’t make a habit of opening fire on strange ships,” Adele said, again looking straight at Malik. “Of course, you drained our shields in the middle of a conflict with the Borg, took over our communications array, and kidnapped my first officer, so I can see where you might think you’ve earned an exception. Who are you?” Adele asked the drone on screen.

“I’ll answer your questions face-to-face. Not over this link,” Malik responded. “If you want your officer back, I suggest you comply with his request.”

“Are you threatening his life?” Adele asked.

“That would be unnecessary. We both know his time is limited, do we not?” Adele raised her eyebrows at this. “Stop wasting it,” Malik ordered. “Proceed to the new coordinates I’m transmitting. We will rendezvous in a neutral location and you will be given more information at that time.”

Adele exchanged a glance with Icheb, on screen, and he nodded once as if endorsing Malik’s demand. She glanced over at Julian, who was intently studying the first officer, then looked back at Icheb and Malik. “And what guarantee do I have that you won’t fire on us?” she asked, wishing they were close enough that she could get a read on their emotions.

“We need you,” Malik said simply, with a bitter edge to his voice, then added, “For the moment, you have my word -- we will not fire unless fired upon.”

Adele took a deep breath. “Time to coordinates?” she quietly asked Ensign Anit Gopal, sitting at flight control. He tapped at his console briefly.

“Seventeen hours, thirteen minutes at slipstream velocity, Sir,” he replied.

“Very well. I’ll see you tomorrow, gentlemen,” she told the pair of cyborgs on her screen. The one wearing a Starfleet uniform nodded in acknowledgment, and the link was terminated.

Adele turned to Julian. “Doctor Bashir, I need you in my ready room.” Julian nodded, and she turned to the duty officer. “You have the bridge.”

Adele sat on the edge of her desk and pinched the bridge of her nose as she thought through what she had just seen. After a moment, she looked over at Julian, standing in front of her. “How much do you know about Commander Icheb’s cranial implants?” she queried. “Could these Borg have compromised him in some way? Could they be affecting his judgment, controlling him, manipulating him somehow?”

Julian blew out a breath and looked unsure. “It’s hard to say. Anything is possible. And it’s difficult to tell anything over subspace. But he looked normal to me, which is to say, he looked stiff and vaguely nervous.”

Adele smiled slightly. “You’ve noticed that, too?” Her smile quickly faded. “He said ‘resistance,’” she recalled somberly.

“A civil war,” Julian replied, making the obvious speculation.

Adele nodded and sighed before tapping her combadge. “Oyugo to Gentry.”

“Eleanor Gentry here, Captain,” came the reply from the attorney.

“You promised me a report on our legal options concerning the drones by the end of Beta shift. That’s ten minutes from now. I need it.”

“I’m already on my way, Captain.”

“Thank you. Oyugo out,” Adele replied. She looked over at Julian. “Go to sickbay and check on O’Connor, would you?” she asked him. Julian nodded, but his look was questioning. “I need to know when you think she’ll be able to work with the drones,” Adele explained, “and someone should probably tell both her and Quigley that Icheb is still alive.”

Julian nodded in understanding. “I’ll go right now.”

“Thank you. I’ll check in with you as soon as I speak to Eleanor and figure out what we’re doing about the drones. I think we’re going to need whatever information they can provide us sooner rather than later, though.”

“I’m not sending O’Connor in there until she’s gotten some rest,” Julian warned her. “She’s in no condition to -- ”

Adele sighed and cut him off. “I know. Let’s just see what Eleanor says, first. I’ll contact you when I have some idea of what we’re going to do.”

“Understood,” Julian replied with a nod, and left for sickbay. As he did, Eleanor Gentry arrived on the bridge and nodded tersely at him with an attempt at a smile that somehow came off more like a scowl. Charming woman, Julian thought sarcastically, as the bridge doors closed behind him.

Eleanor Gentry rang the buzzer on Adele’s ready room door, which slid open on Adele’s command. As she stepped inside, she glanced around the spacious office a bit enviously. The last time she had been in the ready room, she had been too busy telling Commander Icheb off to really look at it. Back on Earth, her own office had been nicer than this, but even on a starship as large as the Tesseract, space wasn’t infinite, and her new workplace was a step down from the luxury she was accustomed to -- and that the captain obviously enjoyed.

She smirked a bit as she saw a child’s drawing pinned to the wall beside the captain’s massive desk. I didn’t figure her for the sentimental type, she thought derisively as she handed Adele the PADD she was carrying.

“Thank you for putting this together,” Adele said as she took the PADD.

Eleanor nodded in acknowledgment. “I’ll let you read it yourself, but I can sum it up for you very quickly -- essentially, it’s up to you whether the drones in your brig have legal rights or not. It depends entirely on what you plan to do with them.”

“Excuse me?” Adele asked, visibly surprised.

“It depends on what you plan to do with them,” Eleanor repeated. “Whether you’re going to try to save them like Janeway did Hansen and Icheb, or if you’re going to question them and release them back to the Collective, or if you’re going to use them as weapons ...”

Adele held up a hand to stop her. “All right, all right. I’m aware of the possibilities. But why should that affect their legal rights?”

“If you’d let me finish,” Eleanor replied testily, “I’ll tell you. If you save those drones, try to restore their individuality and bring them into Federation society, they will have the same rights as your first officer currently enjoys. Anything you do to them now, they could bring against you -- and by ‘you,’ I mean Starfleet -- in a court of law later. There’s no guarantee they’d win, but I can think of several judges off the top of my head who would probably rule in their favor. So if you plan to keep them on board, I would be very careful what you do to them, and I certainly wouldn’t advise you to directly download anything from the live ones. In fact, if you’re going to keep them on board, the dead one is probably going to be your only source of information unless the live drones decide they want to cooperate.”

Adele pressed her lips together and nodded thoughtfully. “Okay. What about our other options?”

“Well, you could question them and release them. Originally, I thought that the Federation would view them as prisoners of war. You’re familiar with those regulations. But where it gets messy is whether they count as sentient individuals or not. An argument could be made that we’re dealing with a single sentient lifeform -- the Collective. And the Collective is not our prisoner -- three of its drones are. In their current state, they’re more like tools than people. As long as we keep them that way, I believe we’re legally in the clear to do whatever we want with them, within reason. It’s no different than downloading information from an errant enemy probe, or hacking into their main computer using found technology.”

Adele nodded. “And using them as weapons?” She tensed as she asked the question. There was a time she would have been willing to do anything to strike a blow against the Borg Collective, but suddenly, she kept thinking of the report she had read on her first officer’s rescue from the Collective, and the accompanying image of him as a young drone. She remembered their conversation in the replimat shortly after the launch. “There are some decisions I wouldn’t want to have to make alone,” she had told him at the time. This was one of them.

“As far as I can tell, Admiral Nechayev would certainly have your back,” Eleanor said. “Actually, my research seemed to indicate you’d have fairly broad support among the Admiralty at Command for that course of action -- not just her.”

“Command is forty-thousand light years away,” Adele pointed out. “What about Admiral Beckley?”

“I don’t know. You’ll have to ask him,” Eleanor replied. “Are you seriously considering using these drones as weapons?” Adele could sense the lawyer’s surprise, along with her hidden trepidation at the prospect of another conflict with the Borg.

“I don’t know what I’m planning. You don’t know this yet, but Commander Icheb contacted us via subspace a few minutes before you came in. We’re en route to rendezvous with him. I plan to take a Saber-class once we get close -- no point in risking everyone’s safety for one officer. But he says he’s on a resistance ship. My best guess is that we’re looking at a Borg civil war. I want both sides of this story before I make any sort of plan. I need to know what’s been going on here the last eight years.”

Eleanor nodded. “The board will be interested in this.”

“I’m aware of that, Miss Gentry. I’ll call a meeting the moment I know more than what I just told you,” Adele replied. “Get some rest,” she added. “I have a feeling tomorrow will be a very busy day for the advisory board.”

Admiral Beckley sat in his office, listening intently to the conversation between the captain and the attorney. A Borg civil war, he thought to himself, and his mind raced with the possibilities. Thanks to the captain’s conversation with Julian Bashir, he knew she was planning on having the young chief engineer talk to the drones. He wondered if she would have any more success than he had.

He was not sorry to hear that Commander Icheb was still alive. In his position, he couldn’t afford to have attachments, but he had developed a certain amount of respect for the young man in their short time on board the Tesseract. That respect, however, took a backseat to the knowledge that Icheb was a living biological weapon with a proven track record of success against the Borg. He would hand the young man over to the Collective himself if he thought it would destroy them. The situation was far more complex than that, though, and he needed more information.

For the moment, he would be patient, and wait until Adele called the meeting. There was no reason to make her more wary of him than she was already. Slowly, he stood and stretched before deleting the audio files and heading for his quarters. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.
Old February 20 2010, 05:45 PM   #448
KimMH
Rear Admiral

As much as I dislike the IDEA of a lawyer - easy for me to say - I've never needed one - Gentry serves an extremely important function. She is the one to voice the issues polite people don't like to have to say out loud. She's also a helpful exposition tool (yeah - she's a tool!).

I'l apologize first - I still like Beckley. Or to be more specific I like to worry about and mildly distrust him while admiring him simultaneously.

You've created compelling people and situations Kes7 - I really look forward to your new chapters. Thank you!!!
Old February 20 2010, 07:31 PM   #449
CeJay
Commodore

Somewhere James T. Kirk is spinning in his grave knowing that the day has come that a starship captain is referring to a lawyer for advice on what she can and cannot do.

I actually think that it adds an interesting new dimension to the decision making process even if its a long way removed from those wild 'follow-your-gut' days of the 22nd century.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 11:40 AM   #450
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

The Borg resistance leader is as charming as ever. I wonder how effective an ally Malik might be should he ever be in danger of losing the strategic advantage in any cooperative relationship with the Tesseract crew. That’s presuming, of course, that he’d have any interest in such an arrangement.

Though Gentry’s presence in this case is advantageous to Adele, I can foresee occasions when having the time-delay of significant distance from Starfleet Command and their army of JAG attorneys might be a godsend for a captain contemplating various forms of action. Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

And once again we see Beckley as the proverbial fly on the wall in Adele’s ready room. I’m still not sure as to what his ultimate agenda might be, or on behalf of whom (or what), but I’m enjoying the slow reveal of his character regardless.