Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 15 2009, 12:45 AM   #211
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Tesseract

An interesting pause from the intrigue of the Sol's mission and some good character work for Icheb and Maren. Keep up the good work, Kes!
Old September 15 2009, 03:32 AM   #212
kes7
Fleet Captain

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Just when you thought Maren and Icheb's relationship couldn't get more awkward or tense... heh.

Great stuff. The ongoing trials of their relationship is engrossing reading and helps uncover the inner workings of both characters.
Thanks. Yes, they're a total disaster area, and both are ill-equipped to clean up the mess.

tenmei wrote:
An interesting pause from the intrigue of the Sol's mission and some good character work for Icheb and Maren. Keep up the good work, Kes!
Re: The pause -- Think of it as the calm before the storm. Things are about to get bumpy fast. Thanks for the compliment.
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 07:47 AM   #213
CaptainSarine
Commander

A fantastic chapter - the tension between these two is palpable and you gave us just enough hints as to the past, while keeping the conversation engaging. I loved Maren's reactions - they are so true! And Icheb's proposal of a compromise is a really good solution.

Keep up the good work!
CaptainSarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 11:00 AM   #214
CeJay
Commodore

I believe I've already pointed out that this story very much resembles a soap opera in space. But it is so much better than any soap, I'ver seen. (Not that I actually watch any).

I've hadly ever found myself rooting for a character in a story more than I do here. I really want to see Icheb and Maren to smooth things over and be a happy couple already. We all know they both want to be together. But it is perhaps a bit like the Scully/Mulder problem. You want them to be together but you know that once they are, all that wonderful, awkward tension will go away.

And in best soap opera fasion we also have an evil, scheming villain right in their midst. And now it seems as if the admiral has made Maren his newest target.

Oh boy, I'm all giddy to find out what will happen next.

Unputdownable.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 12:11 PM   #215
kes7
Fleet Captain

Thanks, CaptainSarine!

And thank you, too, CeJay, though I'm laughing at the soap opera comment -- I liked your previous "space opera" assessment a lot better, I think. I guess I can see where the two angsty kids give that feel at the moment ... but there's a lot of actual action to come, as well. Promise. I may not get to the blowing stuff up quite as quickly as some, but it's coming. There aren't bits of blown up Borg all over the place for nothing. So, if it's a soap opera, it's a soap opera with explosions and spaceships. I'm glad you find it compelling!
Old September 19 2009, 06:37 AM   #216
kes7
Fleet Captain

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

USS Tesseract - Physical Training Area

Retired Captains Mario Alvarez and Almen Drare greeted each other as they both arrived on the recreation deck of the USS Tesseract for a jog around the enormous track, something that was quickly becoming a morning ritual for the two members of the mission advisory board.

“’Morning, Almen,” said Mario, with a nod in the Bolian’s direction.

“Same to you,” Almen replied. Mario, who had been waiting there a few minutes, was bouncing up and down on his toes as a warm-up, but Almen looked utterly relaxed as he approached the physical training area.

“Shall we?” Almen asked. Mario nodded, and they stepped onto the track, beginning to jog in the same direction everyone else was moving. It was fairly crowded ninety minutes before Alpha shift, and the two opted to take it easy and stay together rather than attempt to weave their way through the mass of mostly younger crew members fighting for space as they circled the large physical training area.

Their pace was fairly slow due to the crowd, making it easy to keep a conversation going. Almen, a characteristically talkative Bolian, spoke first: “How do you think the away mission is going?”

“Hard to say. Her exec’s reports have been less than informative,” answered Mario, keeping his eyes forward and concentrating on not running into anyone.

Almen smiled. “I suspect Oyugo ordered him to keep things as quiet as possible. Wouldn’t you, if you were her?” he asked, with a knowing look.

Mario snickered. “Definitely,” he said with a grin. They jogged in silence for a few moments before he added seriously, “We should talk to her when she gets back.”

“Oyugo? Just the two of us?” Almen questioned him.

Mario nodded. “Yes. Without that smug asshole Beckley or that shrew Gentry around to get her defenses up. I can’t imagine having had to answer to a board like this at all, let alone with those two sitting at the table. Especially Gentry -- what a confrontational bitch. Maybe we can show the captain that not everyone on the advisory board has it out for her and her exec.”

Almen seemed skeptical. “Do you think it would be appropriate to approach her apart from the rest of the board?”

“Why not?” asked Mario. “What are we supposed to do for the next seven years, hide in our quarters and avoid talking to her except at board meetings? No, I think we should talk to her. She acts like she could use a friend or two, and something tells me that baby-faced drone they gave her for an XO isn’t going to cut it in that department.”

“I don’t know, I kind of like him,” said Almen, smirking as he added, “In fact, I can think of at least two execs I’d have gladly traded for him.”

“He’s a child,” snorted Mario. “You know as well as I do a captain needs someone to talk to who has some experience. Would you confide in him?”

Almen thought this over as he swerved to avoid a young human ensign who had unwisely stopped in the middle of the track to adjust one of her socks. As she bent over, long, lean legs revealed in their entirety by her running shorts, both Almen and Mario glanced over to appreciate the view.

“She could be your daughter,” Almen admonished Mario with a smirk.

“Hell, she could be my granddaughter,” Mario laughed. “Doesn’t make the view any less enticing.”

“Indeed,” agreed Almen, smiling. Getting their conversation back on track, he said, “All right, we’ll talk to Oyugo.”

“Good,” replied Mario. “I think it will be a good thing for the mission. She needs to know she can trust the board, and right now I get the impression she’s scared to death of us.”

“Can you blame her?” asked Almen, wiping away a single bead of sweat that had started to run down his bald blue forehead.

Mario shook his head. “No,” he replied, “I can’t.”

USS Sol - Captain’s Ready Room

Adele sat sipping a cup of Yridian tea, patiently waiting to be connected to her first officer back on the Tesseract. Apparently, Icheb had been off doing something, so she was being patched through to his quarters and he was on his way there. The officer handling the transmission said the commander had promised to be there “within three minutes.” Out of idle curiosity, Adele watched the chronometer to see if Icheb would be as precise as she thought he would be.

Sure enough, two minutes and forty-four seconds later, her display flickered to life, giving her a first look at her exec’s private quarters in the background behind the commander. She glanced around at the completely Starfleet-issue living area in mild surprise, and said, “Not much for interior decorating, are you, Number One?”

“I haven’t had much time to put any thought into it,” Icheb replied truthfully.

“I see,” replied Adele. “Well, I’m contacting you for an update. How did Astrometrics do finding out what’s at our destination?”

Icheb looked irritable as he replied, “Not well, Captain. If it is a cloaked planet, it’s not like any cloaking technology the Federation or the Borg have seen before, at least not as of the time of -- ”

“Your separation from the Collective. Right, got it,” said Adele, cutting him off with an impatient smile. Maybe it was just the early hour and her own restless mood, but she thought if she had to hear that disclaimer again, she might scream. “So you didn’t find anything?”

“No, Captain,” he said, looking concerned. “Given the circumstances, I recommend you return to the Tesseract and renegotiate the terms of first contact with the Tyndorans. There’s no reason to risk the safety of the entire away team to pursue this contact their way. I'm concerned that you’re heading into a completely unknown situation with thirty-three crew members and one of our three slipstream-capable vessels.”

Adele sighed. “Need I remind you that you were the one who wanted me to take the Sol?” she asked.

She could see Icheb stiffen at the comment. Clearly, he did not need reminding. “No, Captain. I’m aware of my previous recommendation. That was when we thought you were going to visit a typical planet -- one we can see.”

“Commander, I’m seeing this through. I think these people know what’s happening to subspace and the Borg. Before we head into the Delta Quadrant, I want to find out as much as I can.”

“What makes you think they know anything?” Icheb asked. “They haven’t said anything to that effect.”

“It’s a feeling I have,” answered Adele. “A very strong feeling.” She knew this wouldn’t satisfy him. It didn’t even fully satisfy her. But she couldn’t possibly explain to someone who wasn’t an empath that when you had a feeling this strong, you ignored it at your peril.

Icheb narrowed his eyes critically. “You may be an empath, Captain, but a feeling is not evidence. Permission to speak freely?” he asked.

“You mean you’re not doing that already?” asked Adele wryly, though she strongly suspected he was more frustrated than he had yet let on. “In that case, I may regret this, but please, go ahead.”

He got right to the point. “You’re being irrational. This is why I should have been the one to go on this mission in the first place. The regulations are correct, it’s too risky to send the captain on an away mission. Not only could you be killed or permanently separated from your crew, your superior rank affords you the luxury of refusing to listen to the logic of others. One of my functions on this ship is to talk you out of making irrational, dangerous decisions, but you aren’t listening to me. Either that, or you just don’t care what I have to say.” She couldn’t read his feelings from this far away, but he looked angry, or close to it, as he stood staring Adele down on the viewscreen, fists clenched at his sides and an intense expression on his face.

Adele spoke slowly and carefully, keeping her own anger in check. She did not appreciate the insinuation that his logic was superior to hers, nor that she was ignoring what he had to say, but she knew she wouldn’t get far calling him out on it. “Risk is part of the job of a starship captain, Commander. If you ever want to have your own command, you’re going to have to learn that.”

Icheb snapped at her in return, “I’m not averse to taking worthy risks! I just disagree that this is one.”

“Your objection is noted,” said Adele. “I’m not changing my mind. Have Astrometrics keep looking for clues. We’re about thirteen hours from the coordinates we were given.”

“Yes, Captain,” Icheb said irritably.

“Oyugo out,” Adele said, and pushed a button on the console, causing Icheb to disappear from the screen. She sighed heavily and looked out the window at the stars as she reflected on their first substantive disagreement as captain and XO. With six years of captaincy on two different starships under her belt, and five years before that as executive officer under two different captains, Adele had known that this would probably happen at some point. The very nature of their respective positions would inevitably pit them against each other not just this time, but likely again and again over the next seven years. Best to get the first fight out of the way early, she consoled herself. It didn’t make her feel much better.

She rose, stretched out, and stuck her cold cup of tea back in the replicator for recycling. Taking a deep breath, she walked back out to the bridge. She had a Tyndoran to question. Again.

Last edited by kes7; September 19 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 19 2009, 08:01 AM   #217
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

It looks like the captains on the advisory board are just as enamored with the admiral and the lawyer as Oyugo is. Nice to know that Adele might have at least two potentially sympathetic people in her own personal star chamber.

Interesting to see Icheb going toe-to-toe with his captain in regards to the away mission. As irritated as he’s making her, he does have a point, and it is his job to act as a sounding board for her decisions. I hope this is part of the Captain/XO process of feeling out each other’s boundaries, a necessary first step in the formation of any effective command team.

Great stuff!
Old September 19 2009, 01:09 PM   #218
CaptainSarine
Commander

A good chapter, really setting us up for some interesting character interactions. Glad to see that Adele will have a few friendly faces on the panel, at least willing to back her up behind the scenes.

Also good to see this new level to the Adele/Icheb relationship - he is doing his job as XO, it is just a question of whether they will find a balance. I thought you handled Adele's thought process especially well - she realises this is part of the standard Captain/XO relationship and that they will have to get past it.

Great job, as usual!
CaptainSarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 04:18 PM   #219
CeJay
Commodore

Ah, they had their first fight. As far as confrontations with you captain goes, this one was a relatively mild one. But I like the idea that you can have a different opinion to your boss without her/him scolding you for it. That's a good relationship and not one you'll find on every ship.

Also looks like Adele is going to have some allies on the board. That's good. She's gonna need all the help she can get with Beckley and Gentry in the other corner.

Nice segment.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 05:22 PM   #220
kes7
Fleet Captain

CeJay - Yes, it was mild. They're both really polite under normal circumstances, and neither one of them is comfortable enough with the other yet to step out of that mold and get into a full-on screaming match. Definitely some feeling out of the command relationship going on there. As for not being scolded, yes, it's nice, unless it's just part and parcel of a larger trend of being ignored. So far, Adele is one for three on listening to Icheb's recommendations when he's given them. We'll see how those numbers progress in the future ... thanks for the comments!

Capt. Sarine and Gibraltar - Thanks for the comments! You guys said exactly the same thing, so I'm responding to you as one. I'm glad you both enjoyed the chapter.
Old September 19 2009, 08:24 PM   #221
Warp Rider
Lieutenant Commander

I've been busy as of late, and I see, so have you. Nice work Kes.

Good to see Icheb's first command going somewhat... smoothly. Also Adele's away mission doesn't seem to be that eventful aside from the cautious and suspicious behavior sh'es getting from the Tyndorans.

The Admiral bugging the ready room, somehow I feel I should have seen that coming. Though I would have assumed Gently would try doing it; or at least been in the circle with Beckly on this.

Can't wait to see what awaits them on this first away mission. Also how come Icheb didn't pick up any sort of signal or whatever from the bug? He's ex borg, he should still have some internal gadgetry sensor-whatchamacallit in him to pick up these things. I think... XD
Old September 19 2009, 10:44 PM   #222
tenmei
Fleet Captain

A nice chapter leading us into more Tyndoran goodness, can't wait to see what the blighters are hiding on their cloaked planet and what's happening to subspace and the Borg.
Old September 19 2009, 10:52 PM   #223
kes7
Fleet Captain

Warp Rider wrote: View Post
I've been busy as of late, and I see, so have you. Nice work Kes.

Good to see Icheb's first command going somewhat... smoothly. Also Adele's away mission doesn't seem to be that eventful aside from the cautious and suspicious behavior sh'es getting from the Tyndorans.

The Admiral bugging the ready room, somehow I feel I should have seen that coming. Though I would have assumed Gently would try doing it; or at least been in the circle with Beckly on this.

Can't wait to see what awaits them on this first away mission. Also how come Icheb didn't pick up any sort of signal or whatever from the bug? He's ex borg, he should still have some internal gadgetry sensor-whatchamacallit in him to pick up these things. I think... XD
Thanks, Warp Rider! Yes, so far Adele's mission has been boring. Fortunately -- or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it -- not every away mission is full of action and excitement. She hasn't gotten there yet, though ...

As for Icheb not picking up the bug, if his implants reacted to the presence of every transmitter/receiver on the Tesseract, he'd think of nothing else. The place is covered with communications technology and various sensors. For him to pick something like that up, it would have to be targeted to his own translink frequency or, at the very least, he'd have to be actively looking for it.

ETA:

A nice chapter leading us into more Tyndoran goodness, can't wait to see what the blighters are hiding on their cloaked planet and what's happening to subspace and the Borg.
Well, getting info from the Tyndorans is like pulling teeth, as you may have noticed, so you may have to wait another few minutes, story-wise. Adele shares your impatience. She's ALMOST there, though! Just a few more hours ...

Last edited by kes7; September 19 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old September 19 2009, 11:14 PM   #224
kes7
Fleet Captain

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

First Officer’s Log, Stardate 62217.14

We have reached the halfway point of our journey across the damaged section of subspace at the outer edge of the Tyndoran system, and the captain reports that the away team is less than thirteen hours away from reaching the coordinates they were given by the Tyndorans. Astrometrics has had very little success in figuring out what lies at those coordinates. Captain Oyugo believes the most logical theory is a cloaked planet, based on the orbits of the other bodies in the star system. If it is a cloaked planet, the cloaking technology is unlike anything the Federation or the Borg have ever encountered before, at least as of the time of my separation from the Collective. I am very concerned about both the strange circumstances surrounding the away mission and the Tyndorans’ reluctance to provide any information; however, the captain has insisted on seeing this first contact through with the away team despite my urging to the contrary. She believes they will be able to provide answers regarding the subspace damage and destroyed Borg vessels we have found both here and at Aris 4.

As Icheb sat sulking in the ready room of the USS Tesseract thirty minutes after his argument with the captain, he couldn’t decide whether he was more angry at Adele for insisting on risking the safety of the Sol and her away team to make first contact with the Tyndorans, or at himself for failing to convince her otherwise. He understood that risk was part of the job of a starship captain, but in his opinion, the entire encounter with the Tyndorans was too strange to be justifiable. Adding to his irritation was the fact that he had been the one to urge Adele to take the Sol instead of a runabout, which meant the lives of thirty-three people were now on the line instead of just seven.

As he reflected on his failure to successfully persuade the captain to listen to his advice, he started to wonder what Adele thought of his behavior during their discussion. He recalled the tension he had occasionally witnessed between Kathryn Janeway and her first officer, Chakotay, while he was on Voyager. Despite their occasionally intense fighting, the crew had known they trusted one another and cared for one another. He wondered if it had been that way from the beginning. By the time Icheb had joined the crew of Voyager, the people on the ship were mostly like family to one another, but he had eventually learned that Chakotay was never intended to be the XO or even part of the crew at all -- he had been part of the Maquis rebellion, and Captain Janeway had been dispatched with her ship to apprehend him and his crew. When they had all been stranded in the Delta Quadrant and Chakotay’s ship had been destroyed, the two crews had reluctantly joined together for the greater purpose of finding a way back to the Alpha Quadrant. Surely, there had been a lack of trust then. He wondered how they had managed.

He was perceptive enough to sense that Adele would have preferred another officer as her exec, particularly Borux, the Denobulan second officer who usually took Beta and sometimes even Gamma shift on the bridge because he didn’t need to sleep much more than six days a year. Icheb rarely wasted energy on envying others, but for the past few years, he had felt almost chained to his regeneration alcove, and the idea of being able to rest only when it was convenient was infuriatingly attractive to him. Borux was also friendly, talkative, and easygoing under normal conditions, and seemed to get along naturally with Adele, in contrast to the more forced and formal nature of his own interactions with the captain. Despite Adele’s appreciable efforts to create a comfortable working relationship between Icheb and herself, Icheb could tell she was wary of his Borg background. He also got the sense she was bothered by the age gap between them.

As he reflected on their interaction, he had to admit he had been in a horrible mood before he had even spoken to Adele. Everything had seemed to be going better with Maren the past few days, until she had come to his quarters to give him her proposal for shielding the gel packs the previous night. He couldn’t believe it truly hadn’t occurred to him that the location of the discussion would make a difference. Two years without any significant social interaction outside of work had seriously impaired the more advanced interpersonal skills he had developed at the Academy as a result of his relationship with Maren and the small but tight-knit circle of friends they had both had there. He was starting to realize that he had taken a huge step backward socially since leaving Earth. If he had only waited a little longer to regenerate, or even gone to sickbay himself when it was getting close to Gamma shift with no report from Maren, maybe she wouldn’t have reacted so emotionally. Two or three years ago, he would have thought of that in advance, but when it came to emotional interaction, he realized, he was simply out of practice.

Reflecting on the failures of the past twelve hours made Icheb feel ineffectual and slightly helpless -- a feeling that was only increased by a sudden flash of light and the instantaneous appearance of a familiar-looking dark-haired young man about his own age, who was wearing a Starfleet command division uniform identical to his own, but for one additional pip. A moment ago, Icheb had been alone, but now this unexpected visitor sat perched on the side of Adele’s large desk with a wide grin.

“Itchy! It’s so good to see you again! Why the long face?” the intruder asked, noticing Icheb’s sullen expression. He glanced around the ready room and added, “This is certainly a step up from what you were doing the last time I saw you. Commanding a starship? Impressive, Itchy! How long has it been on your plane of existence, anyway, three years? Seems like yesterday to me. Or, you know, millennia, depending on how I choose to look at it.”

Icheb raised his eyebrows at the sight of the Q known as Junior. “What are you doing here, Q?” he asked warily.

“Do I need a reason to visit an old friend?” Junior asked with mock hurt.

Icheb was looking more irritated by the second. “We’re not friends, Q. Every time you come to ‘visit’ me, you almost get me killed. I’m not in the mood for it today.”

Junior protested. “I do not always almost kill you! The last time I came to see you, we had a great time!”

You had a great time. Maren and I did not.”

“Still, I didn’t almost kill you that time. And that girlfriend of yours needs to loosen up. She would be much more attractive if she had a fun personality to match that gorgeous body. Then again, anyone that uptight is a perfect match for you. Did you ask her to marry you yet?”

Icheb glared at Junior. “I’m not talking to you about this.”

“What’s the matter, trouble in paradise?” asked Junior with an exaggerated look of sympathy. “I can’t wait to hear all about it later. But that’s not why I’m here.”

“Why are you here?” Icheb asked again. Before Junior could answer, there was another flash of light, and another older, but remarkably similar-looking dark-haired man, also dressed in the uniform of a Starfleet captain, suddenly stood imposingly in front of the ready room desk.

“He’s here to warn you,” the older Q declared imperiously. “Against my express wishes, and the wishes of the Continuum, I might add,” he said, glaring at his son in obvious exasperation.

“Warn me about what?” asked Icheb, fixing Junior with a questioning gaze.

As Junior opened his mouth to answer, Q cut him off. “He’s not warning anyone about anything,” he said, giving Junior a pointed glance. “What is it with you, child? Every time I turn my back on you for a Terran second, you run off to find your little friend, here. This is the fifth time I’ve had to drag you back to the Continuum since that joyride of yours in the Delta Quadrant, and I’m tired of saving Icheb here from your stupidity. I don’t even like him that much. You should find more interesting friends,” he added, with a disdainful look in Icheb’s direction.

“Would you shut up, Dad? I’m trying to help him.”

“By screwing up their entire timeline. I won’t have it, and neither will the Continuum.”

“Stop it, both of you,” insisted Icheb. He had heard enough. “Either one of you tell me what this is about, or both of you leave. I have too much to do today to listen to this.”

Both omnipotents glanced at Icheb in surprise for a moment, but quickly turned back to each other, continuing their argument as if nothing had been said at all.

“You’re such a hypocrite, Dad,” Junior said angrily. “You mess with their timeline whenever it suits your desires. You even offered to send Aunt Kathy home early if she’d agree to have your baby. This is no different, only I’m not asking for anything in return. I just don’t want Icheb to get hurt.”

“You know as well as I do there’s more at stake here than just your little friend’s insignificant life. No offense,” he added hastily, glancing at Icheb, who merely gazed back in weary annoyance at the omnipotent being. Turning back to Junior, he said in a tone that left no room for argument, “You’re coming home with me immediately.”

As he reached up to snap his fingers and whisk them both back to the Q Continuum, Junior was faster -- if comparatively lacking in dramatic flair. He snapped his fingers just a fraction of a second before his father did, and there was a flash on the desk in front of Icheb as both Qs vanished out of existence. Icheb looked down to see a PADD sitting on the desk where there had been none before, but as he reached for it, there was another flash of light, and another hand quickly snatched it off the desk.

“I’ll be taking that with me,” snapped the older Q haughtily, once again standing in front of the ready room desk. He sighed and looked at Icheb with something resembling sympathy. “Look, it’s nothing personal. It’s just that your human friends have a way of inserting themselves into all kinds of trouble they don’t belong anywhere near. Unfortunately, they’ve done it again, and you’re about to be caught in the middle. Junior wants to protect you, but if he does it the way he wants to, the humans will never learn that their impulsive, self-serving actions have wide-reaching consequences. I’ve been trying to teach them this lesson for years, but apparently they’re going to insist on learning it the hard way. However, I’m going to make you an offer. Since you’re not one of them, if you want me to return you to your home world before all hell breaks loose, I’ll do it as a gift to Junior. I just can’t tell you what’s going to happen.”

“I’m not going anywhere, but thank you for the offer,” replied Icheb coolly.

Q rolled his eyes. “Of course, I should have known. Species 2461, Brunali. Notable for being stubborn beyond all reason,” he said sarcastically, “a trait not lessened or improved by the addition of typical Borg arrogance.” He sighed dramatically, adding, “Suit yourself. But this is a one-time offer. If you change your mind, well ... too late for that, now.” He snapped his fingers, and in a flash, he was gone again, along with the PADD.

Icheb sat in stunned silence for several moments before he heard the commotion going on outside the ready room door. He quickly rose and toggled the manual release, and the door slid open to reveal most of the bridge crew crowded around the opening looking anxious. Iden Nix had the intercom half-disassembled, John Quigley was holding a phaser and preparing to fire on the security locks, and Par Renn was looking from John to the security control panel in a panic and trying to talk him out of it.

As soon as the door opened, the assembled group breathed a collective sigh of relief. John quickly lowered his phaser. “Are you all right, sir?” asked Iden.

John added, “We were reading intruders in the ready room, and the comm. was deactivated, and none of the security codes worked to open the door.”

“And you were going to shoot at the control panel. Are you crazy?” Renn asked John angrily.

John shrugged. “It always worked on the Titan,” he replied.

“That’s enough,” Icheb said firmly. “I’m fine. Lieutenant Nix, get Captain Oyugo on subspace right away and fix this intercom panel. John, please put the phaser away. Ensign Par, return to your station immediately.”

Iden and Renn both nodded and hurried to comply, but John looked at Icheb in bewilderment. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“A visit from an old friend,” Icheb said with a knowing look. John thought for a moment, and his eyes grew wide.

“Q?” he mouthed silently. Icheb nodded, and John inhaled sharply.

“That can’t be good,” he said seriously. Icheb shook his head in glum agreement.
Old September 19 2009, 11:53 PM   #225
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Oh, a warning from Junior - that can't spell good things for our intrepid heroes. I am beginning to wonder whether the Tyndorans have been creating omega bombs to use on the Borg.