CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old August 23 2009, 04:20 PM   #136
kes7
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Tesseract

Diogenes, I hope it wasn't creepy Admiral Beckley keeping you from sleeping!

I think the shipper count on Julian and Adele is up to two readers, and we've still not seen them interact.

As for Julian's history as a part-time amateur spy ... well, you'll just have to wait and find out whether that's going to be relevant.

Miranda Fave, and Gibraltar, thanks for the comments. You're right, the Admiral, whatever his motivations are, is not a "nice" person. He sees everyone and everything around him as a possible means to an end. He's definitely a "gray" character. Time will tell if the gray is closer to charcoal or mist.

ETA: Cross posted with oldstredshrtevr -- thanks for the comment!
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 05:46 PM   #137
tenmei
Fleet Captain

The last chapter was the first time that I didn't think the advisors were superfluous to the plot - it gave some good insight into them as characters and showed they're interesting in their own right.

Hopefully this will continue.
tenmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 08:29 PM   #138
Diogenes
Lieutenant

mirandafave wrote: View Post
Hee hee. Gotta love the mystery of 'The Admiral'. I'm with Diogenes on the title thing. This is our first significant insight to the man and it seems to offer light on his character and yet it actually doesn't. It merely ups the mystery and gives the man more shades of grey. Thoroughly engrossing as there's nothing better than a mystery figure who with each new reveal becomes that little more shadier and mysterious.

So we learn that ok the Admiral might not have put the bloodsucking and ambitious Eleanor onto Icheb's case but he sees how she can ultimately serve his cause - whatever that may be. His analysis of her is creepy in how he views her in terms of weaknesses and strengths and her potential usefulness to him. :shudder: Not a nice guy - even though his motivations are unclear and maybe not all bad there is so much ambiguity about him it will be hard to ever trust him. He's obviously got mysterious connections - Starfleet intelligence being one - but what or who else is he involved with. Certainly lots more going on than meets the eye.

Certainly, this character is going to provide lots of intrigue and character plottings. He's going to mix things up regardless. And mention of Starfleet monitoring the Q. Like little touches like that - Is it a lead? A red herring? A nod to TNG and voyager episodes with Q in them? Or does it prove that there's something more to this man? Something very dangerous?
MirandaFave: Hey there. I cant believe I just glossed by the Admiral's mention of the prospect of surveillance of the Q. I mean, I just dont think that this man mentions anything by accident. I think his every word is tasked toward a specific purpose. He could have said any number of things to the litigious Ms. Gentry, but he CHOSE to mention the Q. What the hells might Starfleet have been up to vis a vis the Q. For all we know, they made contact with the Calamarain and have the dirt on that one Q in particular.

I love interactions with Admirals in Trek. We've never known very much about them, and some of them seem to have lives as interesting and machiavellian as a member of the Klingon High Council. Remember Admirals like Nogura, Cartwright, Kennely, Dougherty, Batanades, Nakamura, Ross, et al?... Talk about complicated lives. And let's not forget my favorite Admiral of all: Fleet Admiral Alynna Nacheyev, who has moved Captains like Picard, Riker, and Calhoun around like 3d chess pieces. I find the professional and interior lives of Starfleet brass to be as interesting, maybe more so, than any nifty space battle. It's a peculiar person who wants to be among the admiralty, when you consider the fact that officers like Kirk, Spock, Picard, and Calhoun have demonstrated varying degrees of potential anaphylactic shock over the prospect of promotion beyond the center seat of a starship. (Janeway is one of those characters that was made for the admiralty, I think. She was born to tell people what to do. I love her for that.)

And there's always the possibility that Beckley is a member of Section 31. I cannot believe that 31 would allow a ship like the Tesseract to return to the DQ without some heavy duty "assets" on board. Voyager wound up in the DQ by accident (we think!), and even then, Luther Sloan had Section 31 agent Roberta Luke on board.

I cannot wait to see what the Admiral might be up to. And we haven't even gotten to the two retired captains on the council yet!

I'd love to have a scene where Bashir has one of those verbal fencing matches with the Admiral, while the doctor uses his enhanced senses to analyze Beckley, as he did when he confirmed a diagnosis of Tuvan's syndrome after meeting former TalShiar chairman Koval just once.

All Command officers, especially captains, but sometimes even admirals, seem put out by Starfleet's chief medical officers, who, regardless of rank, have the power to relieve any superior officer of duty if said superior is deemed to be intellectually and emotionally impaired. I wonder if Beckley will display even an hint of such a chip on his shoulder. Or, might the Admiral swat Bashir like a bug?

Oaky, one more random thought... I would love it if the Tesseract makes a stop over with Neelix and his Talaxian community. Afterall, Neelix is the only person in the DQ with a formalized relationship with the Federation. Neelix used to annoy the hell outta me, but he's good for a few things, like bugging the heck outta serious minded officers. I mean, Neelix is, in his own irretrievably avuncular fashion, as cagey, perceptive, devious, and obdurate as an admiral. Janeway saw beyond the Talaxian's sartorial outlandishness, and recognized the man's talents.

must. stop, now... Godsake, Kes, what are you doing to me?!
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 10:19 PM   #139
Warp Rider
Lieutenant Commander

That was a very interesting though still mysterious insight into our Admiral here. As well as some info about Miss Gentley. I do too wonder how Julian will take on Beckley as well, somehow I can see a power struggle happening at some point as well. I think he's got a card up his sleeve. =3

Also, any chance of the Q stopping by for a round? XD
Old August 24 2009, 01:16 AM   #140
kes7
Fleet Captain

The Talaxian colony is on their flight plan.

As for the Q ... one never knows when they will show up. Q Junior considers Icheb a friend, so it's not out of the question. I can't speculate as to how Icheb would react to that, though. It almost didn't turn out so well for him the first time he met the Q.

Last edited by kes7; August 24 2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old August 24 2009, 05:38 AM   #141
Diogenes
Lieutenant

kes7 wrote: View Post
The Talaxian colony is on their flight plan.

As for the Q ... one never knows when they will show up. Q Junior considers Icheb a friend, so it's not out of the question. I can't speculate as to how Icheb would react to that, though. It almost didn't turn out so well for him the first time he met the Q.
Hey Kes. I hope you allow Neelix to get into the kitchen on Tesseract. And PLEASE have him annoy the hells outta the Admiral.

Icheb was a little bit of a stick in the mud where q was concerned. But now Icheb has some years in the fleet under his belt. For years, he walked under the arch at Starfleet Academy with the words of Kirk (the subject of his school report when q was on board Voyager): "Risk is our business."

Icheb is young, but I think it was interesting that Beckley mused on the measure of an officer being how he or she responds to pressure. We know from his time on Voyager that he responds with selflessness and laser like focus when his crew mates are in danger--he resolved to risk himself for Seven in the blink of an eye. And he's obviously got the stuff for his superiors at Command to promote him.

It would be cool to have q show up and be at least marginally respectful of Icheb. Maybe the Admiral will be impressed that the young 1st officer has pull with the omnipotent.

Imagine if the Qs show up and Beckley pulls a warding move like Guinan did when she faced off with Q on Enterprise-D. El-Aurians have never exhibited any paranormal abilities aside from long lifespans and an ineffable though enduring sense of place in the time/space continuum. (Certainly someone like Soran, Mr. "Time is the Fire in which we burn," would have used everything he had against Kirk and Picard on Veridian III.) So it seems as if Q suggested that Guinan had some sort of defense against him--perhaps it's a matter of Will Power, that unshakable sense of her time/place. The Admiral does give the impression that he has Will Power to spare.

One last thing, unrelated to the meat of the conversation(s) so far... Are there any nonhumanoid species on Tesseract? The crew seems a little humanoid centric.

Sont mistake me, though, I am loving Tesseract!
Old August 24 2009, 09:51 AM   #142
kes7
Fleet Captain

Neelix annoys the hell out of pretty much everyone.

Aside from that ... you have a lot of good ideas -- and I would love to read a "Icheb meets Q again" fic from Diogenes. Icheb is a canon character, so it's not like you'd be stealing him from me, and I don't even mind if you want to write him like "my" Icheb. But if people could refrain from posting really detailed ideas for the Tesseract story in this thread, that would be awesome, because I have a plan already. It might eventually include the Q, but it might not. I love that you're loving the story -- I just need room to write it myself.

By the way, people speculating about the Admiral's inhumanity -- I will give one hint. Beckley is not an El Aurian.
Old August 24 2009, 06:31 PM   #143
Warp Rider
Lieutenant Commander

Tuvok has first hand experience of this. :P lol

By the way, people speculating about the Admiral's inhumanity -- I will give one hint. Beckley is not an El Aurian.
But he's from Eldurado(sp?) right? Hmmmm I get the feeling he's from Section 31. >.>
<.< Or some such organization.
Old August 24 2009, 07:50 PM   #144
Diogenes
Lieutenant

Aside from that ... you have a lot of good ideas -- and I would love to read a "Icheb meets Q again" fic from Diogenes. Icheb is a canon character, so it's not like you'd be stealing him from me, and I don't even mind if you want to write him like "my" Icheb. But if people could refrain from posting really detailed ideas for the Tesseract story in this thread, that would be awesome, because I have a plan already. It might eventually include the Q, but it might not. I love that you're loving the story -- I just need room to write it myself.

Dear Kes7: I lack your talents, else I might try writing that "Icheb & q's Excellent Adventure." Alas, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy your fare. Re. your requests, as a good Borg would, I shall comply. Very sorry if all the specific yammerings cramp your style at all. Everyone on this forum wants more of Kes7's Tesseract.

There will probably be a lot more speculation about the Admiral--you've just given us a lot of rope, as it were, and we're dying to get in the noose!

Thanks again for your great work. Hope you had a great weekend.
Old August 25 2009, 01:59 AM   #145
kes7
Fleet Captain

Diogenes wrote: View Post

Dear Kes7: I lack your talents, else I might try writing that "Icheb & q's Excellent Adventure." Alas, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy your fare. Re. your requests, as a good Borg would, I shall comply. Very sorry if all the specific yammerings cramp your style at all. Everyone on this forum wants more of Kes7's Tesseract.

There will probably be a lot more speculation about the Admiral--you've just given us a lot of rope, as it were, and we're dying to get in the noose!

Thanks again for your great work. Hope you had a great weekend.
Don't sell yourself short there, Diogenes! You've said some pretty interesting stuff here! I suspect you're a better writer than you think.

Speculate to your heart's content about the admiral -- he's meant to be ambiguous at this point. And thanks for understanding re: the super-specific plot suggestions. Just try to relax, sit back and enjoy the story. I hope it lives up to your high expectations!

As always, thanks for reading ... I'm working on more right now (just taking a quick break to check in on my favorite forum).

P.S. My weekend absolutely sucked, but on the bright side, I got a story idea out of it. So it wasn't a total loss. Thanks for the well wishes!
Old August 26 2009, 01:05 AM   #146
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

Better late to the party than never attend, I always say!

Just finished reading the first three chapters. I must say this is very good! Your characters are interesting and already you've created some tension (and potentially volatile conflict) between the XO and Chief Engineer. I'll post more germane comments as I continue to catch up, but I certainly like your premise and your writing thus far.
Old August 26 2009, 01:22 AM   #147
kes7
Fleet Captain

TheLoneRedshirt wrote: View Post
Better late to the party than never attend, I always say!

Just finished reading the first three chapters. I must say this is very good! Your characters are interesting and already you've created some tension (and potentially volatile conflict) between the XO and Chief Engineer. I'll post more germane comments as I continue to catch up, but I certainly like your premise and your writing thus far.
Thanks, TLR! (Can I call you TLR? I'm typing one-handed at the moment.) Glad to have you on board. I'm working on more!
Old August 26 2009, 08:02 AM   #148
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

I just caught up, and I'll add my vote to the Admiral is creepy. However, he's a schemer, and I do love me a good schemer. (You'd never have guessed that, right?) Can't wait to see more of what game he's playing.

I'm also glad Icheb has decided to stop dancing around Maren like she's an eggshell. They need to hammer something out, even if it's not ideal to either of them. Seven years is a very long time to have to avoid somebody you work with.
Old August 27 2009, 01:27 AM   #149
Diogenes
Lieutenant

PSGarak wrote: View Post
I just caught up, and I'll add my vote to the Admiral is creepy. However, he's a schemer, and I do love me a good schemer. (You'd never have guessed that, right?) Can't wait to see more of what game he's playing.

I'm also glad Icheb has decided to stop dancing around Maren like she's an eggshell. They need to hammer something out, even if it's not ideal to either of them. Seven years is a very long time to have to avoid somebody you work with.
I have to admit, I come onto here just about every day to see if Kes7 has posted something new... What's the Admiral up to today, I wonder.

As for the schemers, PSGarak, I highly recommend the latest Trek book to hit the shelves, "STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9: The Never Ending Sacrifice." It's got Cardassians galore (I think that's almost a pun on "Galor," a class of Cardassian warship!), even with a dash of the one, the only, the best spook ever, Elim Garak.

The book made me think of Kes7 the whole time, because I cared about every character.
Old August 27 2009, 01:28 AM   #150
kes7
Fleet Captain

Incoming. It'll be up soon. Thanks for the compliments.