Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 2 2009, 04:36 PM   #121
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Re: DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

It's going to be an exciting time! We have the same plans as you with the BD and player.
Old November 2 2009, 05:00 PM   #122
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

PhasersOnStun wrote: View Post
Lynn Minmay wrote: View Post
How come the WORST movie of the summer (aka Transformers 2) gets an earlier release?
I thought GI Joe was the worst movie of the summer?

I'm guessing it has to do with how long the movies were expected to last in the theater. Transformers 2 didn't have as long a run as Star Trek.
IMHO, G.I.JOE was pretty damm good, even though they killed off Cover Girl and changed some things about the Joes and Cobra. I also like Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen as well, so okay, shoot me!

I too plan to buy the 2-disc special edition of Star Trek, maybe even get the exclusive edition from Best Buy/Future Shop if there is one.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 05:06 PM   #123
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post
A PS3 is generally considered one of the best Blu-Ray players available. Nothing you can get for a "few hundy" is going to be much of an upgrade.
Now that PS3 is selling for $299.00 (US), it is a hi-quality Blu-Ray player at a bargain price.
When it comes down to $129.99 (CDN) at EB Games (the same price as the X-BOX 360), then I'll buy one-but not before.
Old November 2 2009, 06:10 PM   #124
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

RapidNadion wrote: View Post
Guys, I trawled the thread a bit looking for an answer to this, but didn't find anything I was too sure of, so I hope someone can answer this.

I know there are three versions of the take-home STXI, and I know the BluRay special edition comes with the 4 badges and the augmented reality holographic packaging. My question is, since I'm still stuck in the world of DVDs and don't plan on upgrading to BluRay soon:

What am I going to be missing out on if I pre-register for the DVD release from Amazon (they're offering it for cheap if you pre-order, and I have an Amazon VISA that I like racking up points on)? If I just go for the "basic" DVD, will I be missing out on all the deleted scenes and other special features, or what?

Thanks, everyone.
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
^ I think that if you look at the break-downs of the different sets here, you should find all of the answers to your questions.

For the short version, the description for the single-disc DVD is as follows:

The STAR TREK single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. The single-disc DVD includes the commentary, “A New Vision” and the gag reel.
M', not Blu-Ray equipped - ordered the 2-disc DVD set
RapidNadion wrote: View Post
Thanks very much, M'Sharak. I'm really not pleased about it, but I think the extra featurettes (totaling 5!) on the Blu-Ray are going to make me upgrade my home player -- even though I really shouldn't be spending money on myself so close to the holidays.

Just pre-ordered on the BestBuy website - at least I'll be able to get the badges from the film ... which I haven't managed to find anywhere else.

Thanks again! Can't wait.
Well I feel bad about this (not really) but I recently got one of those external disk drives that you can kook up into a laptop for about $80 and well it has a very interesting feature

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...untitled-2.jpg

[An interesting feature, indeed, but at 1024 pixels wide, that pic is bending the page quite a bit, so I'm converting it to link. If you want to resize the image of put it behind a thumbnail and repost, that's fine with me. - M']

Isn't technology wonderful?

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 2 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: great big outboard blu-ray drive
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 06:29 PM   #125
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Blu-ray player alternative - low cost

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I recently got one of those external disk drives that you can kook up into a laptop for about $80
What brand, model?
What software specifically comes with the external drive that will play BD-Video (Blu-ray movies)?
Is it Blu-ray Disc player profile 1.1 ?
What data connectors to your computer does it have?
What vendor was it purchased from at that price?

Have you used the Blu-ray software and played a Blu-ray yet? Any issues with stuttering?

All of the Blu-ray BD-ROM drives are internal drives with Serial ATA Interface (Ver 1.0A) at http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/dvd...ives/blu-ray/0
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 11:17 PM   #126
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post
A PS3 is generally considered one of the best Blu-Ray players available. Nothing you can get for a "few hundy" is going to be much of an upgrade.
Now that PS3 is selling for $299.00 (US), it is a hi-quality Blu-Ray player at a bargain price.
When it comes down to $129.99 (CDN) at EB Games (the same price as the X-BOX 360), then I'll buy one-but not before.
Can the X-Box play blu-ray movies? If not, it's not much of an alternative.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 11:26 PM   #127
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post

Agreed. Especially since the PS3 is still considered one of the best BD players.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2009, 06:22 AM   #128
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

MvRojo wrote: View Post

Agreed. Especially since the PS3 is still considered one of the best BD players.
As I said, I'm willing to wait until the price of a PS3 comes down, or until the price of a Blu-Ray player/recorder/DVD burner comes down.
Old November 3 2009, 02:54 PM   #129
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I don't get why all of these movies that came out after Trek did in the theaters (like Transformers) had their DVD releases come out before Trek's (which was one of the earliest movies to come out this Summer.)
Old November 3 2009, 03:01 PM   #130
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

It used to be (though it may not still hold true) that a longer wait time for a home video release of a film was a mark of "respect"--making one wait for the better films to increase anticipation (as well as maximize opening week sales). It was a rough rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule, but it's possible this thinking applied in this case. (or I could be entirely out to lunch)
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2009, 07:02 PM   #131
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I don't get why all of these movies that came out after Trek did in the theaters (like Transformers) had their DVD releases come out before Trek's (which was one of the earliest movies to come out this Summer.)
I just figured they decided to stagger them out this way so that they'll get huge upfront sales, and then since Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe will have been out for some time, they will be slashed in price for Black Friday, generating more sales. I wouldn't expect to see Trek XI heavily discounted for Black Friday.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 04:48 AM   #132
donners22
Commodore

I'm rather confused. I saw at the shops today two "2-disc Special Edition" DVD sets, one with Nero on the cover, the other with Kirk, Spock and Uhura. The former cost $30, and the latter $25, but the features listed on the back were absolutely identical. There was no indication whatsoever as to what justified the price difference (unless I missed something very obvious).
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 05:44 AM   #133
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

The Trekkies and Trekkers should all be allowed to buy their DVD or Blu-Ray's of Star Trek (XI) two weeks earlier than everyone else because we are the core audience, the should pander to our every need!

Seriously this waiting is driving me crazy, I want my Star Trek and I want it NOW!
Old November 4 2009, 05:47 AM   #134
donners22
Commodore

^ Move to Australia.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2009, 05:54 AM   #135
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

donners22 wrote: View Post
^ Move to Australia.
Just sold everything and bought a ticket to Sidney, wait, I needed PS3 to watch new Star Trek...DAMMIT!