Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 23 2009, 10:15 PM   #106
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Re: DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Jim Bolt a re-recording mixer at LA's Fox Studios says,
"On feature films such as Star Trek (2009) and Aliens in the Attic, when we are done with the theatrical mix, we do what is called a near-field mix, which is for the home release format.
Very interesting, thanks. I'd never wondered about what they had to do to master the film for a home release.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
The sound mix is tailored to fit a smaller room, so it'll just be a slightly more intimate awesome "BANG" than it was in the theater.
An intimate awesome bang: the very thing!
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 06:13 AM   #107
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
A PS3 is generally considered one of the best Blu-Ray players available. Nothing you can get for a "few hundy" is going to be much of an upgrade.
Now that PS3 is selling for $299.00 (US), it is a hi-quality Blu-Ray player at a bargain price.
Old October 26 2009, 07:25 AM   #108
happydave
Lieutenant Commander

Clancy_s wrote: View Post
Australia: October 29th!
Hooray! I keep on thinking it's some kind of mistake but it's still listed. Moreover EZYDVD have the bluray listed for AU$12 cheaper than the 2 disc DVD set!
And actually the Australian release is out now, it was shipped out on the weekend and stores are breaking release dates. I picked it up this afternoon on the way home from work.
happydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 07:48 AM   #109
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

FYI, the standard Blu-Ray is now $20.99 at www.bestbuy.com and the Blu-Ray w/ badges is $27.99.

Also, if you buy any other Trek movie on Blu-Ray, you get $10 off.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 08:01 AM   #110
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

happydave wrote: View Post
Australia: October 29th!
Hooray! I keep on thinking it's some kind of mistake but it's still listed. Moreover EZYDVD have the bluray listed for AU$12 cheaper than the 2 disc DVD set!
And actually the Australian release is out now, it was shipped out on the weekend and stores are breaking release dates. I picked it up this afternoon on the way home from work.
Interesting ... but I'm still get my copy on Thursday.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 10:29 AM   #111
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

SylarParra wrote: View Post
I'm out in the sticks a bit: EzyDVD sent me an email this morning to say it'd been shipped, there's a reasonable chance I'll have it on Wednesday.
Old October 26 2009, 01:19 PM   #112
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

SylarParra wrote: View Post
I'm out in the sticks a bit: EzyDVD sent me an email this morning to say it'd been shipped, there's a reasonable chance I'll have it on Wednesday.
I'm heading to JBHifi here in Newcastle. Have to wait until I get paid on Thursday. Getting the special Spock cover hopefully.
Old October 27 2009, 12:38 AM   #113
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Wolvermouse wrote: View Post
This disc is going to cost me a few hundy. I need to buy a blu-ray player. Yeah, I have a PS3 but, I dunno, it's time to upgrade.
You'll have to spend at least 500$ to do so (the Oppo BD-83). I have a PS3 because it was, when I bought it, the best BD player on the market (despite some machines costing twice or more what I paid for the PS3) and no machine has surpassed it at its price point. I may well get the Oppo when I upgrade the HT setup, but that would only be because I would be putting the PS3 with the living room TV.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2009, 02:59 AM   #114
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Ovation wrote: View Post
You'll have to spend at least 500$ to do so (the Oppo BD-83).
I have one of those, with a multiregion mod: I'm very happy with it.

It does a great job upscaling my DVDs and will also play .mkv up to 1080p with AC3 sound as well as the usual xvid / divx avis
Old October 27 2009, 05:13 AM   #115
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

If I were buying today, I wouldn't even hesitate. However, 500$ is a lot of money for many people--a PS3 is great for the price. But the Oppo is the best player on the market right now (I think at any price).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 02:47 AM   #116
I am not Spock
Commodore

I'm in Melbourne, and hopefully, I'll get it this week. With the special edition Spock cover from JB Hi Fi, hopefully.
Old October 28 2009, 12:15 PM   #117
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't look for the special cover but JB Hifi in Newcastle (AUS) had the bluray set for $29.97, on Monday.
Old October 29 2009, 06:27 AM   #118
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ I saw those today, when I went to the Kotara Westfield JBHifi. As I don't have a blu-ray player I brought the special Spock cover DVD instead. About to enjoy the film now.
Old October 29 2009, 11:15 AM   #119
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ovation wrote: View Post
If I were buying today, I wouldn't even hesitate. However, 500$ is a lot of money for many people--a PS3 is great for the price. But the Oppo is the best player on the market right now (I think at any price).
Oppo tends to be the best at everything they do. Anytime I hear about high end anything (at the time, VCRs, DVD players) it was always "Go with Oppo! They're expensive but you'll never buy another one!".

I have a Magnavox Blu-ray player that was retail $168. It doesn't come with BD-Live, but the image quality is superb, and all of my DVDs look as good as they'll ever be.

Personally, I can't wait for the Trek XI blu-ray. I may also pick up the TNG movie set on Blu-ray while I'm at it.

[throws more change in the "Trek XI Blu-ray fund" cup]

J.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2009, 12:58 PM   #120
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I finally ordered my 2-disc DVD. I eventually plan on getting a bluray player when the holiday sales start.

Don't you love that with this movie...we can look forward to disc sales charts in 15 days, and Oscar noms after?? Loving it.