Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 19 2009, 09:49 PM   #91
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

Re: DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

I can't wait to own all three new movies, XI, XII, and XIII, on blu-ray, its like when I was waiting for "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy to come out in theater then on DVD and special edition too. I anticipate some fun years ahead watching these movies as they come out!
Old October 19 2009, 11:16 PM   #92
RapidNadion
Commander

Guys, I trawled the thread a bit looking for an answer to this, but didn't find anything I was too sure of, so I hope someone can answer this.

I know there are three versions of the take-home STXI, and I know the BluRay special edition comes with the 4 badges and the augmented reality holographic packaging. My question is, since I'm still stuck in the world of DVDs and don't plan on upgrading to BluRay soon:

What am I going to be missing out on if I pre-register for the DVD release from Amazon (they're offering it for cheap if you pre-order, and I have an Amazon VISA that I like racking up points on)? If I just go for the "basic" DVD, will I be missing out on all the deleted scenes and other special features, or what?

Thanks, everyone.
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 11:33 PM   #93
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ I think that if you look at the break-downs of the different sets here, you should find all of the answers to your questions.

For the short version, the description for the single-disc DVD is as follows:

The STAR TREK single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. The single-disc DVD includes the commentary, “A New Vision” and the gag reel.
M', not Blu-Ray equipped - ordered the 2-disc DVD set
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 10:19 PM   #94
RapidNadion
Commander

Thanks very much, M'Sharak. I'm really not pleased about it, but I think the extra featurettes (totaling 5!) on the Blu-Ray are going to make me upgrade my home player -- even though I really shouldn't be spending money on myself so close to the holidays.

Just pre-ordered on the BestBuy website - at least I'll be able to get the badges from the film ... which I haven't managed to find anywhere else.

Thanks again! Can't wait.
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 07:31 AM   #95
emacs
Lieutenant Commander

i be purchasing the Blu-ray edition of this film; should be quite good actually.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 09:02 PM   #96
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I got an email from Apple yesterday, and they are using Star Trek XI in their campaign for their new iMac. They mention the movie's available for pre-order on iTunes and that their new 27" screens are 2560 x 1400.

http://www.apple.com/imac/
Old October 21 2009, 10:49 PM   #97
M'Sharak

^ I've seen that mentioned in a couple of places -- TrekMovie's Twitter was one of them, and I just saw a thread in GTD about it.
Old October 22 2009, 12:20 AM   #98
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Yeah, we already had this one; and it seemed appropriate.
Old October 23 2009, 12:48 AM   #99
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

This disc is going to cost me a few hundy. I need to buy a blu-ray player. Yeah, I have a PS3 but, I dunno, it's time to upgrade.
Old October 23 2009, 12:57 AM   #100
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Wolvermouse wrote: View Post
This disc is going to cost me a few hundy. I need to buy a blu-ray player. Yeah, I have a PS3 but, I dunno, it's time to upgrade.
I don't think you should consider the cost of a new BD-player as part of the costs associated with this disc since you already can play it. You're just choosing to upgrade.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 02:07 AM   #101
Mike Farley
Commodore

A PS3 is generally considered one of the best Blu-Ray players available. Nothing you can get for a "few hundy" is going to be much of an upgrade.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 03:22 AM   #102
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Australia: October 29th!
Hooray! I keep on thinking it's some kind of mistake but it's still listed. Moreover EZYDVD have the bluray listed for AU$12 cheaper than the 2 disc DVD set!

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Australian Blu-ray will be region locked? Paramount Blu-rays usually are not. Can I wait, or should I import?
I should be able to tell you once I have mine, or this site might have it listed about then.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 01:58 PM   #103
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

5.1 surround mix

The DVD & Blu-ray will both feature a 5.1 Surround mix.
The DVD will be Dolby Digital 5.1
The Blu-ray will be 5.1 Dolby TrueHD.
Jim Bolt a re-recording mixer at LA's Fox Studios says,
"On feature films such as Star Trek (2009) and Aliens in the Attic, when we are done with the theatrical mix, we do what is called a near-field mix, which is for the home release format. The biggest difference between 5.1 mixing for a theater and mixing for the home is the dynamic range. In a feature film you have a little more room to be dynamic with louder louds and softer softs. Mixing for the home 5.1 system requires a smaller range of the dynamics, it's not as much as a feature film."
"When we do a near-field mix, we set up near-field speakers in a dub stage to match a home theater environment...the speakers are about six to 10 feet from where you are sitting.
The quiet levels really have to come up to play as low level in the home. What was low level in the theater would get lost in the home theater market so you have to make up for that."
Star Trek was mixed at Fox Studios using all three dubbing theaters.
Post Magazine, October 2009, page 34-35

The Se7en Platinum Series - 1995 (2000 DVD release) has a very good feature on disc 2 called Mastering for Home Theater
video clips (including Audio Mastering, Video Mastering, Color Correction Demonstration and Telecine Gallery of 3 scenes with multi-angle/audio options that let you compare the old and new video transfers and DD 5.1 mixes),
The surround mix was done in 2000 for that DVD release by the same re-recording sound mixers who did the film's initial release.
Unlike current films which have both mixes done at the same time. Se7en came out initially at the start of the DVD format with surround sound and they may have just put on the theatrical mix since it was 'already mixed in 5.1'.
It's quite possible that the earlier Trek films such as up to Generations (1994) had their theatrical mix (not a near-field mix) on the Laserdisc and first release DVD and hence the Laserdisc that was talked about for it's dynamic range.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 06:52 PM   #104
thumbtack
Commodore

Re: 5.1 surround mix

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
In a feature film you have a little more room to be dynamic with louder louds and softer softs.
Oh man, so we're not going to hear that awseome "BANG" when they go to warp?
Old October 23 2009, 07:23 PM   #105
M'Sharak

Re: 5.1 surround mix

thumbtack wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
In a feature film you have a little more room to be dynamic with louder louds and softer softs.
Oh man, so we're not going to hear that awseome "BANG" when they go to warp?
The sound mix is tailored to fit a smaller room, so it'll just be a slightly more intimate awesome "BANG" than it was in the theater.