RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,552
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 521
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Itisnotlogical
Commodore
 
Itisnotlogical's Avatar
 
Location: Shufflin', shufflin', shufflin'...
Horrible cliche's

I hate most cliches. Sometimes they're used really well and really enhance the story, but most times they suck

#5
I AM YOUR THIRD COUSIN TWICE REMOVED ON YOUR MOTHER'S SIDE!

I hate it when the villain turns out to be the hero's friend, love interest, family member, etc. It must have been really shocking when it was first popularly used in Star Wars, but now it's pretty much expected.

#4
I wasn't really dead/I got out just in time

Alot of times, a character dies early on and then inexplicably reappears. For example when Cecil and co. fight the Giant of Babel in Final Fantasy IV. Many characters died in various ways, and yet they all return piloting Dwarf-made tanks to help Cecil and the surviving cast. If it can be properly explained, all good and well, but several of them were quite clearly dead.

#3
Hidden powers

Also, a lot of times a character has unexplainable powers that never surfaced before. This, as with most other cliches, can be incredible plot devices (Dresden's sudden ability to use Hellfire and understand hundreds of languages in the Dresden Files, Eragon being a Dragon Rider, etc.), but many times it feels tacked on at the last minute and poorly explained.

#2
The good guys win... again

The good guys almost always win it seems like. They hardly ever get their asses kicked and just barely scrape by. They're never totally defeated. The world never crashes down. Can't the evil guys have a chance?

And, the #1 ultimate cliche that makes me the maddest...

#1
Human/Elf relations

It always makes me mad whenever a human hero ends up with an Elf woman. I just do not know why but it bugs the hell out of me when (insert human hero) ends up with (insert elf princess here). It seems in every fantasy novel I read, the human hero inevitably lands a raven-haired, pointy-eared princess. Can't the human end up with, I don't know, ANOTHER HUMAN for a change?
__________________
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: Horrible cliche's

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
#2
The good guys win... again

The good guys almost always win it seems like. They hardly ever get their asses kicked and just barely scrape by. They're never totally defeated. The world never crashes down. Can't the evil guys have a chance?
I can help you with this one. Go read GRUNTS! by Mary Gentle.
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 04:57 PM   #3
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral
 
Location: Missile Command
Re: Horrible cliche's

Fantasy world Humans need to hook up with dwarf women or maybe Orcs.

#6
The "chosen one" cliche.

Yeah, their the only person who can "do it". If they get food poisoning and die then the universe/world/galaxy is screwed.


#7
The "reluctant hero" cliche.

A reluctant hero can still be a "chosen one", but their refusal to accept that they are the hero and they are (assumably) good at it gets old. In some cases it doesn't quite work...you can't make Batman a reluctant hero. No one goes through all the effort Wayne did to make himself Batman to just say "I'm not sure I can still do this". That's also why Smallville gets annoying, Clark knows he a hero and he's good at it. JUST ACCEPT IT ALREADY.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Horrible cliche's

Horrible cliche's what?!?!?!
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Plomeek Broth
Captain
 
Plomeek Broth's Avatar
 
Location: Quark's Holosuites
Re: Horrible cliche's

The wise, grizzled old man who mentors the poor/farmboy/I came from nothing hero and knows more than he lets on. (Gandalf, Obi-Wan, Dumbledore, etc.) - I love these characters, but new stories to be told out there need to come up with something original.
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Horrible cliche's

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
#5
I AM YOUR THIRD COUSIN TWICE REMOVED ON YOUR MOTHER'S SIDE!

I hate it when the villain turns out to be the hero's friend, love interest, family member, etc. It must have been really shocking when it was first popularly used in Star Wars, but now it's pretty much expected.
First used in SW? Are you kidding me? Good grief, why is it that some people assume no human being in the history of the planet ever wrote a story before the TV shows and movies they're personally familiar with?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eIAmYourFather
Oh, and by the way, it was being mocked back in 1790 by Jane Austen in Love and Friendship (with four grandfather-grandchildren relationships revealed in under a page), so Older Than Radio at the very least.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Horrible cliche's

Since I can't imagine any completely, one-hundred percent original story archetypes coming along anytime soon I really don't worry about cliches so much as what the writer does with those cliches. It's difficult, but it's still possible to get something exciting out of these dead horses. There's still room for variations on these incredibly well-traveled ideas.

So, I try to look at that rather than being bothered by a basic concept I've seen several thousand times before.

That said, the whole "chosen one" thing does tend to irritate the hell out of me.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 08:44 PM   #8
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral
 
melancholymecha's Avatar
 
Re: Horrible cliche's

there are some really annoying ones in anime. The original story's villain getting beaten by a new villain just to show how much more badass the new guy is. Also one of the first villains usually ends up joining the good guys side. The sweet innocent girl getting killed off so the hero gets more angsty & motivated. The ridiculous need for a charcacter to explain in detail the cool new technique they are about to use to beat up their opponent.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Joy
Commodore
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Location: Springfield, MO, USA
Re: Horrible cliche's

AKA don't read Eragon. You'd be able to predict everything from the first five pages. Plus, the writing's godawful anyway.

Good list. Keep it up.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: Horrible cliche's

Joy wrote: View Post
AKA don't read Eragon. You'd be able to predict everything from the first five pages. Plus, the writing's godawful anyway.

Good list. Keep it up.
That's because Eragon is basically Star Wars in fantasy setting. The only good thing that came out of it is an insanely funny Rifftrax.

And cliche #1 is a variation of stories were humans end up with various goddesses and other supernatural creatures. It goes back to ancient Greek mythology, at least.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Horrible cliche's

Guy has "cute" best friend. She's in love with him, but he's too enthralled by the hot chick down the street.

He hooks up with hot chick and then she treats him like dirt. He then has an epiphany: he was in love with the "friend" all a long, he just never realized it.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Plomeek Broth
Captain
 
Plomeek Broth's Avatar
 
Location: Quark's Holosuites
Re: Horrible cliche's

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Guy has "cute" best friend. She's in love with him, but he's too enthralled by the hot chick down the street.

He hooks up with hot chick and then she treats him like dirt. He then has an epiphany: he was in love with the "friend" all a long, he just never realized it.
Teen Wolf!
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Horrible cliche's

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Guy has "cute" best friend. She's in love with him, but he's too enthralled by the hot chick down the street.

He hooks up with hot chick and then she treats him like dirt. He then has an epiphany: he was in love with the "friend" all a long, he just never realized it.
Or the hot chick who unaccountably is interested in the unattractive nerd. Sometimes the variant is that the nerd is actually very attractive, so it makes more sense, eg, Chuck.

My favorite: the villain who fails to immediately kill the hero who has fallen into his clutches, for a variety of fatuous reasons, some of which are detailed here.

Another goodun: the spaceship/top secret facility/headquarters which has inexplicably poor security, such as a lack of cameras in the hallways, air vents too small to crawl through, or a security force who can't hit the side of a Death Star at 30 paces, all for the convenience of escaping good guys or bad guys who hijack the ship.

Holodecks that are designed so that a malfunction makes them life-threatening rather than just turning them off. Holograms that become self-aware. People who turn off the holodeck but don't realize they are still in a virtual world.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral
 
Chaos Descending's Avatar
 
Location: Grand Canyon State
Re: Horrible cliche's

Christopher wrote: View Post
itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
#5
I AM YOUR THIRD COUSIN TWICE REMOVED ON YOUR MOTHER'S SIDE!

I hate it when the villain turns out to be the hero's friend, love interest, family member, etc. It must have been really shocking when it was first popularly used in Star Wars, but now it's pretty much expected.
First used in SW? Are you kidding me? Good grief, why is it that some people assume no human being in the history of the planet ever wrote a story before the TV shows and movies they're personally familiar with?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eIAmYourFather
Oh, and by the way, it was being mocked back in 1790 by Jane Austen in Love and Friendship (with four grandfather-grandchildren relationships revealed in under a page), so Older Than Radio at the very least.
Ahem... he did not say "first used in Star Wars".

He said "first popularly used in Star Wars".
__________________
"Romanes eunt domus"
- Brian
Chaos Descending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 11:27 PM   #15
Joy
Commodore
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Location: Springfield, MO, USA
Re: Horrible cliche's

Shurik wrote: View Post
lly Star Wars in fantasy setting. The only good thing that came out of it is an insanely funny Rifftrax.
Oooo... There's a Rifftrax? I gotta get my hands on THAT one. I thoroughly enjoyed the 100+ page thread on the NaNoWriMo forum of people bashing the Eragon books. Good fun.

Joy
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.